PDA

View Full Version : London 2012 Olympics (Singles)

Pages : 1 [2]

Kevzar
08-01-2012, 10:55 AM
man Jiang didn't do much against ZJK, I really wish Kim Hyok Bong would have played ZJK

Blackbird74
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Men's Singles Quarter-final result:
KISHIKAWA Seiya [JPN] 0-4 WANG Hao [CHN] 4-11,5-11,3-11,5-11,-,-,-

No surprises there either

Semi-final confirmed:
Thursday 2nd August
11:00 Men's Singles: Semi-finals: WANG Hao [CHN] v CHUANG Chih-Yuan [TPE]

chughtai
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
i dont know y but i think that its wang hao's time to shine in the Olympics he is just unstoppable

MJB
08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Well those last two quarter-finals were very disappointing as a spectacle - far too one-sided and hardly any decent rallies. It was all so flat. (But well done China.) Hopefully the semi-final and final will be super competitive with mind-blowing forehand-to-forehand exchanges.

UpSideDownCarl
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I have to be honest, it makes things interesting because people who would not otherwise have gotten farther than they normally might. But, if you look at the draw, the level of competition in this tournament is fairly low. There are lots of tournaments throughout the pro tour that have a higher level of competition than this tournament had. The results so far have been interesting. But it would be nice if there were a few more higher level players in there.

WiWa
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I have to be honest, it makes things interesting because people who would not otherwise have gotten farther than they normally might. But, if you look at the draw, the level of competition in this tournament is fairly low. There are lots of tournaments throughout the pro tour that have a higher level of competition than this tournament had. The results so far have been interesting. But it would be nice if there were a few more higher level players in there.
That's true, although it does make it more exciting on the other hand. In a normal Pro Tour, matches like Kim - Joo, Boll - Crisan, Vladi - Zhang are barely seen. After all it is just the fact that OS is once in 4 years that makes the pressure unbearable for some players, and it creates interesting matches. Dima-Maze was also not a very high quality of rallies, but amazing service-receive play. Despite that it is the most thrilling table tennis match I have ever watched xD

dici
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
It is too much pressure for Kasumi while Feng Tianwei is on fire

xu xin lover
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
the umpire always says ding ning's serve isn't high enough
so not true!!!

TurboS1
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I hope that Dima will show his best game with ZJK , with he wins this will be great :) and this can compensate Timo Boll's lose :D
Anyway , I think that Wang Hao has the best chances to take the gold !!!

DialecticBrown
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Congratulations to Feng TW, Ding N, and Li XX.

But Red and Yellow card for Ding Ning? Seriously?
Was it really because of the toss or was the commentator was just guessing?

UnfairUmpireAtExcel
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I am so angry about that Umpire at the Women's Singles Final at Excel today. Nevermind how she judged Ding Ning's serves, but WHY ON EARTH did she give Ding Ning a red card? For what? For questioning a decision she didn't understand?

Ding Ning is such a gracious person, she was so polite, only wanting to understand what she did wrong, only to be given a red card. How is that fair?

You could see how upset Ding Ning was just by her tone of voice when she spoke to the translator before the 4th set, she was shaky and distraught.

I just registered to this site just so I could post this comment. We need justice for Ding Ning in the form of an apology from the Umpire in question.

perniciousnc
08-01-2012, 05:02 PM
super unfair for dingning, the umpire n all the policies of ittf, wt the f man, ittf needa straighten the crap up, swt a defined rule n pbjective way to measure it, once every 4 years, epic final ruined for unfair reason, wt the fffffffff

MJB
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Totally agree with the low level of competition. Four of the best players in the world are in London just to be sparring partners. (Don't worry, that's my final comment on this sad affair.)

Just watched women's final. It was absolutely incredible - until the petty Italian umpire spoilt it by getting involved with the controversial service rule. Compared to most of the male servers, they were fine. You've got to feel a great deal of sympathy for Ding. I'm actually a little surprised they gave the job to a European to officiate (surely it's important to be able to converse with the players. Giving the odd hand gesture is just not good enough).

YosuaYosan
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Ding Ning won silver.. Now will Zhang Jike lost a portion his motivation? Remember Hungarian Open 2012?

I haven't watched the final, only the ending (channel @ YouTube) but there seems to be some controversy (with the umpire)..
This seems crazy..

MJB
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I am so angry about that Umpire at the Women's Singles Final at Excel today. Nevermind how she judged Ding Ning's serves, but WHY ON EARTH did she give Ding Ning a red card? For what? For questioning a decision she didn't understand?

Ding Ning is such a gracious person, she was so polite, only wanting to understand what she did wrong, only to be given a red card. How is that fair?

You could see how upset Ding Ning was just by her tone of voice when she spoke to the translator before the 4th set, she was shaky and distraught.

I just registered to this site just so I could post this comment. We need justice for Ding Ning in the form of an apology from the Umpire in question.

Apparently, she was red-carded because she went for an illegal towel break after the controversial incident!! It's crazy. A lot of umpires are lacking in common sense.

perniciousnc
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
now we wait for another 4 years for this unpire, gg

UnfairUmpireAtExcel
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Apparently, she was red-carded because she went for an illegal towel break after the controversial incident!! It's crazy. A lot of umpires are lacking in common sense.

Incredible. Such incompetence.

I have just emailed BBC News ([email protected]) and Sky News ([email protected]) about this, hoping it will catch their attention (if it hasn't already).

Also, how stupid not to have a Chinese speaking Umpire for this particular final?

sehskyle
08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Incredible. Such incompetence.

I have just emailed BBC News ([email protected]) and Sky News ([email protected]) about this, hoping it will catch their attention (if it hasn't already).

Also, how stupid not to have a Chinese speaking Umpire for this particular final?

Haha, I just have to say this, but wouldn't it be biased towards China to have a ref that spoke Chinese? We can't have that now can we??

On a less satirical note, is there anywhere to see a video of this match/these serves in the U.S.?

UnfairUmpireAtExcel
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
On a less satirical note, is there anywhere to see a video of this match/these serves in the U.S.?

It should be available on the iPlayer on the BBC website soon.

jmillsy2
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
its was ridiculous, so unfair on ding ning.
i think the rule should be that the angle of the throw up should be between 45-90 degrees, that clears things up so well...s long as the players arent hiding the ball, i dont see a problem with the angle of the throw up, as long as its decent
it was still an awesome final though, some incredible rallies and im so glad for Li, its about time she won something, and the olympics is the pinnacle! :)

joonpill
08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
What the umpire did seemed pretty unfair to me, Ding Ning was completely destroyed after the 2 penalty points. They both played great though, really fast rallies. Li was played REALLY good too though.

BTW, Ding Ning did NOT get a red card. Red card means you're kicked from the match. When the umpire holds both yellow and red card up, it means the player in question gets 1 penalty point.

3.05.02.03 Except as provided in 3.5.2.2 and 3.5.2.5, if a player who has been warned commits a second offence in the same individual match or team match, the umpire shall award 1 point to the offender's opponent and for a further offence he shall award 2 points, each time holding up a yellow and a red card together.

UnfairUmpireAtExcel
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
What the umpire did seemed pretty unfair to me, Ding Ning was completely destroyed after the 2 penalty points. They both played great though, really fast rallies. Li was played REALLY good too though.

BTW, Ding Ning did NOT get a red card. Red card means you're kicked from the match. When the umpire holds both yellow and red card up, it means the player in question gets 1 penalty point.

3.05.02.03 Except as provided in 3.5.2.2 and 3.5.2.5, if a player who has been warned commits a second offence in the same individual match or team match, the umpire shall award 1 point to the offender's opponent and for a further offence he shall award 2 points, each time holding up a yellow and a red card together.

Thank you for clearing that up regarding the yellow/red card. Now it makes sense :-)

It was heartbreaking to watch Ding Ning so distraught. It did not need to happen and I do think that Italian Umpire needs to apologise. She was arrogant and seemed biased against Ding Ning.

Mitz
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

Some interesting matches... in weird format but it's the only thing you will find on youtube.

Samsonov vs. Jike
Ovtcharov vs. Maze

...in this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PintoTM/videos

Michal_Z
08-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Well the ball of Ding Ning was really not falling much, it could be less than allowed..
I agree with giving that one point.
I dont agree with the red-yellow cards and with another point to Li Xiaoxia..
Anyways, Li was so much on fire, that even without this I dont think much would be different.
Ding Ning would still be mad for losing the final, Xiaoxia would still be gold medalist.

But still it was not very nice from the umpire..

TME
08-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Coming back to the Men's game now, since there is a thread for the controversy, I just saw Wang Hao's quarter final and I think he will win the gold after seeing this, he was so fast and completely focused.

bzing
08-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Guys you're not gonna believe whom I just saw on the underground train here in London! I was just coming back from friend's place where we played table tennis, and on Jubilee line I saw a whole group of South Korean representatives. Among them - Joo See Hyuk, Ryu Seung-Min and Sang Eun Oh. I stood there for a moment blinking as if I couldn't bring myself to believe if it was really them or am I dreaming? I hadn't had my mobile phone with me so I couldn't take any pictures but as they were entering the train, I took my bat out of the bag and waved at them through the window and we exchanged some smiles :D

ducksick
08-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Pissed off with the umpire and for the very first time, the 1st service fault, Ding Ning back behind the umpire, how on earth she can justified DN made an service error? She must has a super hawk eye to see thru it? and as a team mate, LXX shall not attack full force, at least shows some respect, sportmanship, by giving a point or so to comfort Ding Ning when unfair decisions by umpire. Made an obvious error or service errro to DN. At least both can continue to play and fight to the end. Even LXX wins, she'll be proud whereas she did not do that at all to consider the circumstances, and i knew the GOLD very important but pls be sportmanship to respect your opponent. Honestly, I guess lots forumers believe the umpire spolit the whole game, esp DN momentums, and those service faults, calls at the critical mements, and you broke down her mental strength to play again. I really pity her, and I knew from there she lost the match. You can tell when she cried. Her dreams just varnished by the hand of umpire and ittf shall look into it to set a new basic understanding of service rules. Unfair and sad finals.

siluke
08-02-2012, 01:18 AM
New poster here. Have a question for everyone:

How secretive are the top Chinese players (Zhang Jike and Wang Hao) about what blade/rubbers they use? I have been searching this stuff in English and it seems like some of it only trickles out when people on the web find great close-up photos. Or are they players actively endorsing the products in China, and it's just hard to find details in English? (It's hard to tell how accurate/up-to-date the equipment listings are.)

Thanks!

mgpyone
08-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Li X X totally deserves a win even there wasn't some controversies with umpire .. when the ball cames to her left side, she used that unbelievable backhand flips and when the ball cames to her right, she used very strong spins .. Superb!
the replay for Woman Singles Final is up too.

http://youtu.be/TfzHkO7XtC0

mgpyone
08-02-2012, 01:37 AM

How secretive are the top Chinese players (Zhang Jike and Wang Hao) about what blade/rubbers they use? I have been searching this stuff in English and it seems like some of it only trickles out when people on the web find great close-up photos. Or are they players actively endorsing the products in China, and it's just hard to find details in English? (It's hard to tell how accurate/up-to-date the equipment listings are.)

Thanks!

Hi.. Welcome =)

You'd want to take a look at this thread. Chinese Team Bat Pictures (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1129-Chinese-Team-Bat-pictures!). Probably, not match with the latest equipments they are using but it's pretty good as a reference so far.

siluke
08-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Hi.. Welcome =)

You'd want to take a look at this thread. Chinese Team Bat Pictures (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1129-Chinese-Team-Bat-pictures!). Probably, not match with the latest equipments they are using but it's pretty good as a reference so far.

Loved that thread, thanks. Does anyone have any idea what Zhang Jike and Wang Hao are using at the Olympics?

siluke
08-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Also curious, as I asked earlier ... are the Chinese players secretive about equipment? Or is just hard to find in English?

Michal_Z
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Pissed off with the umpire and for the very first time, the 1st service fault, Ding Ning back behind the umpire, how on earth she can justified DN made an service error? She must has a super hawk eye to see thru it? and as a team mate, LXX shall not attack full force, at least shows some respect, sportmanship, by giving a point or so to comfort Ding Ning when unfair decisions by umpire. Made an obvious error or service errro to DN. At least both can continue to play and fight to the end. Even LXX wins, she'll be proud whereas she did not do that at all to consider the circumstances, and i knew the GOLD very important but pls be sportmanship to respect your opponent. Honestly, I guess lots forumers believe the umpire spolit the whole game, esp DN momentums, and those service faults, calls at the critical mements, and you broke down her mental strength to play again. I really pity her, and I knew from there she lost the match. You can tell when she cried. Her dreams just varnished by the hand of umpire and ittf shall look into it to set a new basic understanding of service rules. Unfair and sad finals.

Well she would need to play someone else than Li XX to get some mercy..
Li can see only herself, she doesnt care about anyone else, she is very selfish. All that matters for her is winning, nothing else.
Dont expect anything else from her.
BTW that umpire who called the error could directly see how long was the ball falling. And I say - it was very low. Maybe it was over 16 cm, but not sure. It was just around the line. I think - a good call from her. I repeat what I said before. But I dont agree with her red-yellow card, that was a little too hard.
She shouldnt do that.

Li X X totally deserves a win even there wasn't some controversies with umpire .. when the ball cames to her left side, she used that unbelievable backhand flips and when the ball cames to her right, she used very strong spins .. Superb!
the replay for Woman Singles Final is up too.

http://youtu.be/TfzHkO7XtC0

I agree, she was much better during the whole tournament.
I believe she played better than any other woman would be able to play now.
Even better than Liu Shiwen and that is something to say.

jmillsy2
08-02-2012, 09:47 AM
I think anyone would have done what Li did- this match is for an Olympic Gold, not an ITTF Pro Tour title lol ...i would have expected nothing less from Li, and i believe Ding Ning would have done the same thing.
I thing Li would have won anyway, I haven't seen anyone play like that since Zhang Yining...and lets not forget Zhang was possibly the best woman ever :P they've got the same coach, perhaps thats why :P Li Sun is gonna be a happy man, his girls have won the last 3 olympics! lol :)

mgpyone
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Woa.. Zhang Jike is up to Final ! .. 4 - 1 over Ovtcharov.

Well, as expected, pretty good performance from Zhang Jike. back hand flips and powerful top-spins. I guess Ovtcharov has some faults during the sets
However, we'd conclude that a better player won :)
The detail is here Men Singles Semifinals (http://www.london2012.com/table-tennis/event/men-singles/match=ttm001201/index.html)

Blackbird74
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Men's Singles Semi-final result:
ZHANG Jike [CHN] 4-1 OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [GER] 11-8,11-3,5-11,11-9,11-8,-,-

azlan
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Guys you're not gonna believe whom I just saw on the underground train here in London! I was just coming back from friend's place where we played table tennis, and on Jubilee line I saw a whole group of South Korean representatives. Among them - Joo See Hyuk, Ryu Seung-Min and Sang Eun Oh. I stood there for a moment blinking as if I couldn't bring myself to believe if it was really them or am I dreaming? I hadn't had my mobile phone with me so I couldn't take any pictures but as they were entering the train, I took my bat out of the bag and waved at them through the window and we exchanged some smiles :D

I would've just got onto the train...wouldn't really care where I'll be going, as long as I get to hang out with them. You could've been their informal tour guide, and even play TT with them if you play your cards right :)

So anyone....why was Ding Ning penalized?

Steven
08-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Chuang is playing amazing but he should've been 2-1 up now... It's like every player, including Maze, Ovtcharov and Zhang Jike are having problems when they've taken the lead.

Blackbird74
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Men's Singles Semi-final result:
CHUANG Chih-Yuan [TPE] 1-4 WANG Hao [CHN] 13-11,2-11,10-12,6-11,9-11,-,-

Medal matches confirmed:
14:30 Men's Singles: Bronze Medal match: OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [GER] v CHUANG Chih-Yuan [TPE]
15:30 Men's Singles: Gold Medal match: ZHANG Jike [CHN] v WANG Hao [CHN]

verlajos
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
She didn't put the ball enough high. I think this decision was from umpire bad.

chughtai
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
well everyone guessed the final and some of them the bronze medal match i hope Zhang Jike nd chuang win their matches

UpSideDownCarl
08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Loved that thread, thanks. Does anyone have any idea what Zhang Jike and Wang Hao are using at the Olympics?

I don't think Zhang Jike has changed his equipment. Viscaria blade. Tenergy 64 on the backhand. I believe he is still using Hurricane III NEO with Blue Sponge on the Forehand. I don't know that he has ever really hidden what he was using. But if he has changed anything it would be DHS Skyline III NEO with Blue Sponge on the forehand. I believe he might even still be using that same Viscaria from the photo in the China Open Bat Photos thread from June 2011 (the thread was posted in July 2011 but the tournament and the photos were taken in June 2011).

I also do not think Wang Hao has changed his equipment since that China Open in June of 2011. So: DHS Hurricane Hao blade, DHS Skyline III NEO, and, yes, Butterfly Sriver (with speed glue or some kind of boost that really works like speed glue).

Wang Liqin used to use a Clipper with a DHS Hurricane King handle because he was contracted to use the DHS blade. I don't think it was much of a secrete though. :)

For a while Ma Long was using a blade where you could not tell what it was. That was because it was a prototype for the DHS blade that they made for him: DHS Hurricane Long. He goes back and forth from Hurricane III NEO Blue Sponge to Skyline III NEO Blue Sponge. I heard he changed backhand rubbers to Tenergy 64 but do not know. I also heard he changed backhand rubbers to DHS Gold Arc III, but don't think so. :)

I am not really sure what Ma Long is using but that is more a function of the fact that he has changed setups a bunch since he stopped using the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC blade. :)

UpSideDownCarl
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I would've just got onto the train...wouldn't really care where I'll be going, as long as I get to hang out with them. You could've been their informal tour guide, and even play TT with them if you play your cards right :)

I am with you Azlan. Cancel all other engagements. Work, oh well. I am hanging out with the Korean National Team. :) Find someone I know who speaks Korean and English. If it was NYC that would be easy. Then I would show them how to have the best time of their lives in NYC. Too bad the Olympics is in London instead. :)

blahness
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Man... Ovtcharov gave everything he had... he was operating at the very top end of his spectrum, both Zhang Jike and him were hitting the ball so hard that it seemed like the ball just warped spacetime.... But unfortunately Zhang Jike was just a touch too good in consistency and touch compared to him. :( Credit to him for going all out on all his shots. Maybe next time he should really start training his FH service return(pushing, flicking, etc...), he lost sooooo many points due to bad receives of short balls in the extreme FH corner.

Chuang Chih-yuan also came close, but Wang Hao was just a tad too consistent and powerful for him...

I think Zhang Jike will win this final, but I'll be rooting for Wang Hao. I think Wang Hao has prepared a bag of tricks to overcome Zhang Jike (sidespin BH down the line and serving from the FH corner). I'll just have to see whether that will succeed in jamming Zhang Jike's BH over-the-table loop. Everything hinges on how he exploits this specialty of Zhang Jike.

jmillsy2
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM

at the moment zhang jike uses hurricane blue spong on the forehand, some form of tenergy on the bh, and its on a viscaria fl blade...god, hd is useful :P

remember the rubbers have been boosted to oblvion too though :P
i think wang hao uses some kind of dhs hurricane blade, with hurricane blue sponge fh, and last time i checked, sriver bh, because it gives him so much spin, which is what he uses his backhand for :)

scylla24
08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
man I love watching Timo Boll play and all, and he seems like one of the, if not the nicest players in professional table tennis, but man does he choke horribly at the olympics. I can understand if he loses to the Chinese players, but each time he has lost to a non-Chinese player. This latest time being the worst yet, since in prior times he has lost to players like Waldner and Schlager, but this time he lost to Crisan, who other than showing slight promise when he was still a young player has remained a slow pretty uncoordinated player who has failed to do anything significant in international play for quite a while.

This just makes claims by such a large number of people saying Timo Boll is one of the players they put as a top 3 player seem all the more ridiculous. I love Boll, but for people to claim he is top 3 or top 5 best players in history is ridiculous when he hasn't won a world championship or the olympics.

WiWa
08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
man I love watching Timo Boll play and all, and he seems like one of the, if not the nicest players in professional table tennis, but man does he choke horribly at the olympics. I can understand if he loses to the Chinese players, but each time he has lost to a non-Chinese player. This latest time being the worst yet, since in prior times he has lost to players like Waldner and Schlager, but this time he lost to Crisan, who other than showing slight promise when he was still a young player has remained a slow pretty uncoordinated player who has failed to do anything significant in international play for quite a while.

This just makes claims by such a large number of people saying Timo Boll is one of the players they put as a top 3 player seem all the more ridiculous. I love Boll, but for people to claim he is top 3 or top 5 best players in history is ridiculous when he hasn't won a world championship or the olympics.
Well in 2008 he lost to Oh Sang Eun who is his nemesis, and I believe he just got back from an injury back then but I'm not sure. But I agree with u that he's not the best in the world, but I do think overall he is the best non-Chinese.

Blackbird74
08-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Men's Singles Bronze Medal match result:
OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [GER] 4-2 CHUANG Chih-Yuan [TPE] 12-10,9-11,8-11,13-11,11-6,14-12,-

OVTCHAROV Dimitrij [GER] wins Bronze

YosuaYosan
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Diiiiiiiiimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Giangt
08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Congrats to Dima! He played well!

Tommy Lee
08-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks!

As I know, Wang Hao :
Blade:DHS H-WH
Rubber: Forhand TG3 39/40, backhand hand SRIVER-L

mgpyone
08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
wow .. first match becomes very competitive .. reach until Zhang JK 18 - 16 Wang Hao :eek:

yurybarquero
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
How I would have loved to see the final between Zhang Jike and Ma Long :(. Lucky Zhang Jike.

Blackbird74
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Men's Singles Gold Medal match result:

ZHANG Jike [CHN] 4-1 WANG Hao [CHN] 18-16,11-5,11-6,10-12,13-11,-,-

ZHANG Jike [CHN] wins Gold

WANG Hao [CHN] wins Silver

Giangt
My prediction was right! Congrats to the olympic champion 2012 ZJK, but unfortunate for Wang Hao this was probably his last OL :(

mgpyone
Woa.. The GOLD MEDAL GOES TO ZHANG JIKE !!!

Davott
08-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Congratulations to ZJK, he really does deserve it.

Tommy Lee
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Wang Hao 3 olympics silver medals, what's a pity !:(

joonpill
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Glad I got to watch the stream online, great match! Zhang Jike was too strong and consistent, simply amazing. I'm very happy for him, he is great fun to watch... was smiling a lot during this match, wasn't he? Like he was enjoying it. He has that funny smile when he leans down when ready to receive the serve that looks like he's thinking "bring it, come on".

I'm also happy that they were so respectful and nice to each other during (that edge ball, lol) and after the match, always good to see good sportsmanship. Wang Hao, great sportsman and amazing players, 3 Olympic finals in singles is QUITE a feat.

I don't see any chance of China not getting gold in team! Looking forward to some good matches there.

UpSideDownCarl
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Zhang Jike, Gold Medal Winner: 4-1. In the 5th game he was down 1-6 and wins 13-11.

Final Match

ZHANG Jike CHN (http://www.ittf.com/competitions/matches_per_player3.asp?P_ID=110553&Competition_ID=2003) (http://www.ittf.com/competitions/matches_per_player3.asp?P_ID=0&Competition_ID=2003)

0 15:30 - 2/8/2012 - Table 1
4-1: ZHANG Jike

18-16,11-5,11-6,10-12,13-11,-,-

WANG Hao CHN (http://www.ittf.com/competitions/matches_per_player3.asp?P_ID=109961&Competition_ID=2003) (http://www.ittf.com/competitions/matches_per_player3.asp?P_ID=0&Competition_ID=2003)

So Zhang Jike wins the World Championships, The World Cup and the Olympic Gold back to back to back and gets his Triple Crown faster than anyone has ever done it. And, he never had to face the only player he has trouble with, in any of those tournaments: Ma Long. But you cannot fault him for that. Ma Long's performance in the big tournaments had a lot to do with why Zhang Jike did not face him at any of those events.

And Zhang Jike clearly turns things up a notch in the big matches, whereas, sometimes, Ma Long seems to fall apart when the money is on the line. In the semi-finals at the World Championships, he was ripping Wang Hao apart and then Wang Hao used game tactics and slowed the pace down and Ma Long could not handle it.

Zhang Jike, Olympic Gold.

strangeloop
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
ZJK wins! As 52% of us predicted. :) Too bad people weren't selected on merit for participation in olympics. Robbed us of more great matches!

scylla24
08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
dang impressive. Over the short span of only a year or so, ZJK has collected all three of the major titles in table tennis. He is the reigning champion in all three all at the same time.

Despite my belief that Ma Long is the better all around player, whether by bad luck on his part or good luck by ZJK, Ma Long now has a lot of catching up to do in terms of the big trophies.

Either way, major props to ZJK. He now knows an elite category of players to have won all majors at least once. He being only the 4th to do so in history.

Tommy Lee
08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
next waiting for team match, it's a pity Ma Lin will not play...I miss his wonderful hitting...
http://i48.tinypic.com/x585zr.jpg

ttmonster
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Congratulations to Zhang Jike !!! He is the deserving winner and he played likea winner through most part of the final. BTW, since the commentary was really crappy I had turned it off to natural sound, can anybody enlighten me on what Zhang was claiming ( was it an edge) during the brief stop in play had in the 5th set or was it 4th ?

Tommy Lee
08-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Zhang Jike think he hit the edge, but Wang Hao didn't think so. The point was awarded to WangHao

YosuaYosan
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
No shirt ripped, no pants ripped (like I hoped :().. Clear sign of maturity in Zhang Jike..

I am also amazed at his sense of destiny.. Now he has won a Grand Slam and he deserved it..
Never been I'm such a fan of a table tennis player in person, esp. Chinese players but I think for Zhang Jike I will give an exception..

Congrats, Olympic, World and World Cup champion, Grand Slammer Zhang Jike. You, Sir, totally deserved it.
I admire your greatness as a person and as a player..

Now go out there and do something for our dying sport in this dying world..

jmillsy2
08-02-2012, 06:26 PM
at least he didnt take off his shirt this time lol
im so gutted for wang hao though, unfortunately i think he will now always be the 'nearly man' :/ despite having won the other two majors, i think eventually he'll be remembered as the man with 3 olympic silvrs rather than anything else, which is unfortunate as he is a great player and has truly revolutionized the penhold style...just like joo did with defence, he is a very important figure in the development of our sport, and lets not forget that! :)

ttmonster
08-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Yosua ... if I am not wrong you wanted it the other way ... you hoped ZJK rips his pants and we had a little bit of fun with that .....:) ... but yes he will remembered like Rod Laver , having achieved the grandslam consecutively almost like the first one to reach the everest summit.

And ... you need to have a sense of destiny and the lady luck to achieve such a monumental feat . I just thought Zhang Jike and Wang Hao holding the Chinese Flag at the end of the final was almost like telling the IOC and ITTF , you cannot stop us even if you let only 2 of us compete in the event !! I liked that ! I still feel that we were deprived of high quality matches and the real olympic final ( Ma Long vs Zhang Jike ) due to this ridiculous rule........... but anyways Zhang Jike rules !!

No shirt ripped, no pants ripped (like I hoped :().. Clear sign of maturity in Zhang Jike..

I am also amazed at his sense of destiny.. Now he has won a Grand Slam and he deserved it..
Never been I'm such a fan of a table tennis player in person, esp. Chinese players but I think for Zhang Jike I will give an exception..

Congrats, Olympic, World and World Cup champion, Grand Slammer Zhang Jike. You, Sir, totally deserved it.

TurboS1
08-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Can somebody share the 3rd place final ? :)

Steven
08-02-2012, 08:52 PM
About the 3rd place match... It's so sad for Chuang. He has been in the top 10 in the world for such a long time but he never really won a prize at the big tournaments. You could see he gave everything he had for that medal because it would've been the crown on his career. But everytime he had problems when he's leading during the game. Against Wang Hao he was 1-1 10-8 up, and he lost that game 10-12. Same happened twice today against Ovtcharov.
Ovtcharov on the other hand is playing great at he moment. I think he's actually passing Boll right now. Not (yet) in the rankings, but I feel like Boll just can't keep up with him anymore.

WiWa
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
About the 3rd place match... It's so sad for Chuang. He has been in the top 10 in the world for such a long time but he never really won a prize at the big tournaments. You could see he gave everything he had for that medal because it would've been the crown on his career. But everytime he had problems when he's leading during the game. Against Wang Hao he was 1-1 10-8 up, and he lost that game 10-12. Same happened twice today against Ovtcharov.
Ovtcharov on the other hand is playing great at he moment. I think he's actually passing Boll right now. Not (yet) in the rankings, but I feel like Boll just can't keep up with him anymore.
The thing about Ovtcharov is that he almost never lets go of a lead, especially late in a game. When he has 1 gamepoint, he takes it like 90% of the time. That makes a very big difference in close matches, which is impressive. But still I'm gutted that Maze didn't win this medal :p He really had the form to do it.

Giangt
08-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Well he did jump out of the court and kissed the top spot on the podium! I found that amusing :)

azlan
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Dima played well, but I really wanted Chuang to win just because he really was a brawler. But, dima's win should be good for Europe. :)

UpSideDownCarl
08-03-2012, 01:06 AM
So there are probably a lot of people out there who wish Zhang Jike had to play Ma Long because they are Ma Long fans and believe he would win.

I wish they could have played but I am not sure who would win nor would I care. If they played and Ma Long did win in a big tournament like this one, it would settle whether Ma Long can win the big matches.

If Zhang Jike lit up and came off, as he seems to when it really counts, and if Ma Long got nervous and fell apart under the pressure or simply did not elevate his game enough to win, it would also answer that issue.

At some point Ma Long will win a few of the Majors. He is too good not to. But Zhang Jike does elevate his game when it counts.

On an NYC email list after the Samsonov match people were saying that ZJK was not going to win. My response was:

ZJK is a notoriously slow starter and that he usually needs one of those wake up calls to actually start playing.

Liu Gouliang even had ZJK play 3 and 1 game matches trying to get him trained up to get a faster start.

But once he has one of those wake up calls, in a big tournament, he usually kicks his game up a few notches.

And he definitely seems to cranked it up even more in the big MEANINGFUL tournaments.

So we will never know what would have happened if they played each other, and that is why I wish they had.

Would Ma Long have come through?

Would Ma Long's nerves have gotten the best of him?

Would it have been an epic battle with Ma Long pulling it out?

Would it have been an epic battle with Zhang Jike coming out on top against the one player he usually does not take down?

And we will never know. :)

Bollforte94
08-03-2012, 01:48 AM
So there are probably a lot of people out there who wish Zhang Jike had to play Ma Long because they are Ma Long fans and believe he would win.

I wish they could have played but I am not sure who would win nor would I care. If they played and Ma Long did win in a big tournament like this one, it would settle whether Ma Long can win the big matches.

If Zhang Jike lit up and came off, as he seems to when it really counts, and if Ma Long got nervous and fell apart under the pressure or simply did not elevate his game enough to win, it would also answer that issue.

At some point Ma Long will win a few of the Majors. He is too good not to. But Zhang Jike does elevate his game when it counts.

On an NYC email list after the Samsonov match people were saying that ZJK was not going to win. My response was:

ZJK is a notoriously slow starter and that he usually needs one of those wake up calls to actually start playing.

Liu Gouliang even had ZJK play 3 and 1 game matches trying to get him trained up to get a faster start.

But once he has one of those wake up calls, in a big tournament, he usually kicks his game up a few notches.

And he definitely seems to cranked it up even more in the big MEANINGFUL tournaments.

So we will never know what would have happened if they played each other, and that is why I wish they had.

Would it have been an epic battle with Zhang Jike coming out on top against the one player he usually does not take down?

questions (http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/questions.html) upon (http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/upon.html) questions (http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/questions.html)

ttmonster
08-03-2012, 02:35 AM
There are a couple of reasons why I would have like Ma Long to play. Firstly, its totally nonsensical to reduce the number of players playing from a country because they have been sweeping the floor with others. If somebody deserves, after all its an individual event and everybody should have a right to play provided they qualify. It not only robs the top players like Ma Long / Ma Long / Xu Xin of an oppurtunity , it also drastically reduces the quality of competion .

Secondly, I personally wanted Zhang Jike to win the grand slam after defeating Ma Long in finals , you are right when you say you never know. But as years pass , people will talk the same way they talk about Roger Federers lone French Open , that Nadal failed to make it to the finals..... so thats pretty much sums it up for me.

renben
08-03-2012, 06:31 AM
We'll have to wait for Rio 2016 to find out who's the better man, assuming both ML n ZJk are selected for the singles! Now we can only watch the teams event to see how ma long delivers on the grandest stage of all. My prediction is 4-0 victories for ma long in all his matches. He is caged animal all waiting to unleash his power on the unsuspecting world

Michal_Z
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
We'll have to wait for Rio 2016 to find out who's the better man, assuming both ML n ZJk are selected for the singles! Now we can only watch the teams event to see how ma long delivers on the grandest stage of all. My prediction is 4-0 victories for ma long in all his matches. He is caged animal all waiting to unleash his power on the unsuspecting world
This will be pretty interesting..
You must count Xu Xin and there will be great fight for a place in the olympics.
Zhang, Long, Xin, they all will fight for the 2 places in singles..
You will see, they will be like crazy, pushing their limits so high that we have never seen before!
You will see it before World Championships 2015 and also directly at them, this will be completely insane, you will see..
And even better if some new pingpong star rises up..
Who knows? Song Hongyuan, Yan An .. what will they do??

amr_tareef
08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I think Jun Mizutani will surprise us all and take it. His performance improved this year clearly.

kiwiNCFC
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I went to the table tennis yesterday and in the bronze medal match the whole crowd were behind Ovtcharov in that game. Everyone appreciated Chuang's brilliant f/hands but it was nice to see everyone urging a european onto the podium!

Zhang Jike was just too good for wang hao. Nice celebrations too!

UpSideDownCarl
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM

I think there have been some good comments. The fact that there are several players in the top 20 who did not qualify for the singles event definitely makes it so that the level of competition is not as high as one would hope. I think they are doing this in many events like gymnastics as well. Right? They do not want one country to have a medal sweep. We can think of it as similar to the World Cup. Only two can go from each country so it is not a tournament that has the level of competition that the World Championships has.

But, the Olympics is not the only major. Next year, 2013, there will be a World Championship. We will see what happens then. Who will come through and win. Will Zhang Jike? Will Ma Long? Will Xu Xin? Will someone new come up and be in the mix. At some point the Juniors become the MEN. Four years ago people were thinking about Wang Liqin, Ma Lin and Wang Hao. Those three are fading and most would agree that, Ma Long would have been a more legitimate contender for the Gold this year than Wang Hao was. Both Zhang Jike and Ma Long have bean beating Wang Hao consistently.

So the future is bright. I personally don't think that the Olympic Gold will ever mean the same thing now that only 2 players can go from each country. But there will be other big tournaments and the level of competition at the World Championships will always be of the highest level where all the best players can qualify.

Somewhere, someone pointed out that Wang Liqin, who won 3 World Championships never won the Gold at the Olympics. He is still one of the best and most dominant players ever. There is no shame in not being able to win the Gold because you did not get a chance to vie for it.

Mikael Berglund
08-03-2012, 03:53 PM
About the two-player-per-country rule, this is what J-O Waldner had to say:

"It is useless. The very best players should play. If a certain country is the best, then so be it. Let the others work to catch up instead."

From a great interview at http://www.pingisfan.se/2010/04/interview-with-waldner-english-version/

judah000
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
waldner said it perfectly!

DimitrijOvtcharov
08-04-2012, 10:39 AM
And Dima won the bronze medal!:)

Mitz
08-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Some great matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukpUYg_3Tc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukpUYg_3Tc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKguMuprelE
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKguMuprelE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-r5r_9cVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FavWQWWoc

Mitz
08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I hope you like it

WiWa
08-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I hope you like it

It's awesome! :D

synce
08-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Got a little teary eyed at the end of jpn vs sin in semi's... although that match must've been painful to watch if you're on the other end...

janus
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
"FULL Matches in SHORT FORM" @TTJanus (http://www.facebook.com/TTJanus) (= janus770 (http://www.youtube.com/user/janus770) on Facebook)
(For updates and more: Please Subscribe to TTJanus (http://www.facebook.com/TTJanus) = "Visit and do Like!")

*** N O T E ***
The embedded videos have low quality, for the high quality versions follow the direct links @facebook
(this is a restriction of facebook on the allowed embeddings in other sites, I can't do anything for that!)

# MEN SINGLES (11 Videos = 10 Matches + Awards Ceremony)

[Round of 32]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=462589893763039

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=462589893763039
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=466509246704437

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=466509246704437

[Round of 16]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=462479387107423

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=462479387107423
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=462104763811552

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=462104763811552
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=461055120583183

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=461055120583183

[Quarterfinals]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=461546010534094

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=461546010534094
[Semifinals]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=458191634202865

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=458191634202865
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=464002350288460

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=464002350288460

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=458750044147024

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=458750044147024
[Gold Medal]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=457178130970882

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=457178130970882
[Ceremony]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=456081284413900

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=456081284413900

[B]# WOMEN SINGLES (5 Matches)

[Round of 32]

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=459748217380540

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=459748217380540
[Semifinals]

http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=467050669983628

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=467050669983628
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=467166399972055

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=467166399972055
[Bronze Medal]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=467568339931861

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=467568339931861
[Gold Medal/Final]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=459856990702996

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=459856990702996

TTJanus = [email protected] (http://www.facebook.com/TTJanus)

WiWa
08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Awesome Janus! Thanks alot I still had to watch the semifinals xD

YosuaYosan
08-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Class!
Thanks, Sir Kostas!

janus
08-23-2012, 10:51 PM
# WiWa & YosuaYosan - Thanks too!!! :)
* My post (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3058-London-2012-Olympics-(Singles)&p=42030&viewfull=1#post42030) just updated with one more match (the second semifinal of MS) in True HD when you follow the link on facebook *

ducksick
08-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks Janus.

Dan
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks Janus.

Totally agree! Janus you've been fantastic!

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

janus
09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks a lot Dan!! :) | Thanks too ducksick!!!
===============================

My previous post here (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3058-London-2012-Olympics-(Singles)&p=42030&viewfull=1#post42030) has been updated with one more Men's match of Round32
and 3 more Women's matches (2xSF, Bronze)
[for those people who like women's matches the DING-FENG's match is excellent!!]