Reportage

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Ok Here is a rough translation. It took a while nevertheless so you guys better be happy:

Announcer: Who is Liu Guoliang imitating? Who is Qing ZiJian talking about? Who are they praising? Who will probably become the next star of the Chinese National Team?
It is Xu Xin.
2009 April 28th, before the start of a large tournament, Xu Xin, the youngest member of the team is practicing for the tournament. In the Chinese trial outs beforehand, Xu Xin, age 19, was able to reach the number 2nd rank, making him the dark horse of the team.
Now then, what kind of person is Xu Xin really? We have arrived at the Chinese national team training headquarters in Ningbo to talk with Xu Xin and learn more about him.
When we arrived, Xu Xin had finished training, and was having a competition with his fellow player (Fang Bo) as to see who could hit the ball into the bucket.
Someone asks Xu Xin: did it go in? Xu Xin replies of course it did, it better have gone in.
Xu Xin: My mom wanted me to be very completive, therefore she named me Xu Xin.
Announcer: Today we see that her wishes came true, because Xu Xin’s greatest asset is his competiveness.
Xu Xin: When I play table tennis, it was like when I played video games when I was younger, whatever I decided to play, I had to become the best out of those who played.
Announcer: 2006, at the age of 16, Xu Xin was chosen to join the National 2nd team. His competitive nature in this new environment still stayed the same.
Xu Xin: When I first joined the 2nd team, when I played the 1st team members, I won maybe 50/50. Before I joined the 2nd team, I felt as if the skill level of the 1st team were noticeably better, but now that I was on the second team, I felt that in truth, their skill level wasn’t that much different from mine.
It wasn’t long that Xu Xin caught the eye of Coach Qing Zijian
Coach Qing Zijian: I noticed him because his playstyle was the same as mine. When I was younger, I also was a left handed penhold player. His playstyle is unusal, but yet, it was the same as mine, so I could understand all its aspects, so from that very moment, I became interested in him.
Announcer: It wasn’t long before Xu Xin was moved to the first team. And it was then that Coach Qing Zijian took him under his wing.
Coach Qing Zijian: When Xu Xin first came, he relied entirely on his competitiveness and competitive nature, he had no fear to let out all his skill, and no fear of putting everything on the table, and showed no sign of weakness or being afraid. He was not afraid to show, this is what I have, I put it out there, even if it is 2nd team level. In this regard he is better than Ma Long. But in terms of skill level and technical skills, he is still lacking.
Announcer: At the time, this lack of skill was shown most noticeably by his lack of speed, primarily foot speed. Head Coach Liu Guoliang teasingly named his footwork with the beautiful name: Art of walking slowly but gracefully on a cloud. Both coaches would playfully tease him about this during practices.
Coach Qing Zijian: When he first came, I told Xu Xin, your movement speed and your foot speed are on par with the speed I had as a 30+ year old man. It really was slow, and yet the ball always got on the table.
Xu Xin: I think a lot of people were a little puzzled at that. I think a lot of balls that most people couldn’t reach, because of my longer arms I could reach it. And therefore they were surprised when the ball actually came back, and had no reaction.
Announcer: it wasn’t long before Coach Qing Zijian also started commenting on Xu Xin’s weight.
Coach Qing Zijian: You eat too much, you aren’t able to run fast. Think about it, we are about the same height, but I am 71 kilos, but Xu Xin is 75-76 kilos. Xu Xin originally complained to me a lot about how I told him how all these things were wrong with his game. You said it so much that I had no more confidence, it was too much.
Xu Xin: regardless of how well I was laying, he would always point out things that were wrong, he would pressure me a lot.
Announcer: aside from his lack of speed, Xu Xin also is known for another thing.
Coach Qing Zijian: Lazy, he is lazy.
Xu Xin: Since I came onto the squad, Coach Qing Zijian has pressured me the most. Ever since I was young, if the coach is there, I tend to perform better.
Coach Qing Zijian: if you aren’t watching him, Xu Xin tends to just spend time wasting time. And he would often sneak a peek to see if the coaches were watching him.

Announcer: So Coach Qing Zijian would not only have to watch him all the time, but would also have to play games in order to make him practice.
Coach Qing Zijian: 10 balls, if you win 7 then you can consider a win. If you only win 6, you lose. Xu Xin isn’t really afraid to practice, he just needs someone to be always watching him always pressuring him. If someone is, he really can train, he will train until he is on the ground. This is something that I slowly found out as time went by.
I said to move your shoulders. Geez, you don’t even know what shoulders are.
Announcer: currently Xu Xin’s athletic ability isn’t even middle of the road compared with the rest of the members. Training exercises that everyone has already finished earlier than him, Xu Xin is still laughing and slowly doing them. When Xu Xin finally finishes, he is always jokingly pretending he is in pain.
Despite his skills not up to par, or his body ability, Xu Xin has skill performed very well. In the Chinese trial he out performed Ma Lin and Wang Liqin, and became ranked 2nd.
Xu Xin: my understanding of table tennis is higher than other people, as in my ceiling is higher. In a match, at times I will hit some balls and win some points that are so good so “godly”, that it just surprises everyone, surprises the competition, and surprises the coaches.
Coach Qing Zijian: I think in the short time he has been here, Xu Xin’s improvement has been very quick, the quickest in the entire squad. So quick that its almost unbelievable to people. Therefore you should never look down on Xu Xin.
Announcer: Currently in the tournament Xu Xin and Ma Long are playing doubles, and are doing wonderfully, reaching the finals. The dark horse Xu Xin will continue to improve and impress us, and continue to strive to reach his high potential, allowing us to glow with pride in his improvements and accomplishments. We will continue to keep our eye on Xu Xin's bright future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
wow scylla
You are amazing! You earn a price for this !
So much criticism to Xu Xin.. It's incredible they say he has no footwork 0_o ? I dont know what they would say to me HAHA :D

There is another Reportage scylla It's your turn. :D You dont have to be so precise like in the Xu - Video, the main statements would be nice

But now the forum can discuss about Xu Xin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah, I mean I think most of the negative talk was only in regards to Xu Xin when he first arrived in the squad. And like they say, he has made the most improvement of any player in that period since.

I probably will get around to doing the other reportage sometime or another, right now I am taking finals, so I need to be spending my time studying, as opposed to getting distracted.