Experimenting set-ups

This user has no status.
I've had a theory, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys have had it too. What would happen if you use a DEF+ blade w/ offensive rubbers such as Tenergy 05, Rakza 7? Or w/ Chinese hard rubbers such as DHS Skyline 2? Would this set-up give you extreme dwell time and catapult effect due to the flex of the blade? Or say Boll Tricarbon w/ super soft rubbers such as T05 FX or Rakza 7 soft, etc. Would it balance out speede and spin/control, making it feel like an ALL blade? Just wanna know your thoughts as I wanna try experimenting. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I already tried that experiment using a 729 Red Spirit Allround blade with Mark V on FH and 802 on BH, expecting controlled defensive play and hoping offense will be better with the extended dwell on my FH loops. Defense was good but when it came to generating offense, I was exerting more effort as most of my spin loop kills were returned. For pick-up games it was allright, but when I joined a tournament, I only won once out of five games. Horrible ha ha ha

I tried a Yinhe Moon MaxTense on a 729 Black Whirlwind defensive blade with 1615 long pips on backhand. The feeling playing Moon on such a slow blade was weird, I needed to adjust to keep my loops going long off the table, my short game was awful. I am still trying to understand the play of both setups. I have experimented with slower blades to allow me some tolerance when using pimples on my BH and it was indeed very good on blocks, active blocks and chops. That's where I get most of my points in these two setups. My offense on FH sucks because of the slow speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Ohhhh I see. So it would bod for loopers who prefer spin over speed. Would the catapult effect take place to aid in the speed of the shot or it still makes it slow? =)

it would still be slow, as ttfrenzy mentioned, like Joo. However, ignore the speed, is this kinda set-up gonna provide loads of feel/feed back??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
it would still be slow, as ttfrenzy mentioned, like Joo. However, ignore the speed, is this kinda set-up gonna provide loads of feel/feed back??

yes off course , defensive blades in general are more flexy with more dwell time so they provide more feedback ! corpii if youlike immense spin with decent speed , then check these bladess

yasaka gatien extra

butterfly primorac off-

donic waldner senso v1 (speed)
donic waldner senso v2 (control)

donic waldner dicon

stiga all round

I have played with all of them and they are the best blades over the table in terms of spin . When it comes to mid distance you need good physical condition , i personally have no problem but in long distance away from the table its difficult to get tha ball to the table . But how many times does an amateur needs this?When you get so good and your technique is perfect (at least 6-7 years of good practice , no im not joking !) then you can get a faster blade with carbon that totally kills every ball with good spin and tremendous speed :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Im experimenting also with this setup for Donic Waldner Black Devil CB, its hard to choose below rubber which do you suggest?

FH/BH - Butterfly Tenergy 64
FH/BH - JOOLA Rhyzm
FH: Donic Acuda S1 turbo, BH: Donic Bluefire M1
FH: DONIC Coppa X1 Turbo Platin, BH: DONIC Coppa X1 Gold

Utterly fast blade and fast rubbers.....off topic
this, is about slow/fast, fast/slow combo........

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Each rubber and blade combo is for preference not really for speed. Dwell does help and speed can take affect, but primarily it's just for personal pros vs cons. The problem with hard rubbers on soft blades is that vibration can cause a lot of missed shots because you really want a steady blade for attacking shots. As with soft rubbers on harder blades you really need the softer blades to medium blades to really take advantage of the dwell created by the soft rubbers.

As for the comment on Joo's stroke he uses his body's power also because of the 1.9 mm thick sponge. With Chinese 2.2 max on Joo's blade there would be much more speed than compared to the 1.9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I have try 2 setups:

1. Yinhe W6 shakehand with Palio Era max 47.5 degree and Xiom Omega IV Pro max - the blade is heavy (176gms) and dwell time is reduced with a hard feel
2. Yinhe W6 shakehand with Xiom Vega Europe max and Palio Pro 45 degree max - the blade is much lighter (170gms) and dwell time has improved with a good feel, you feel the ball impact into the wood - suitable setup for me.

Hope this info. is useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Each rubber and blade combo is for preference not really for speed. Dwell does help and speed can take affect, but primarily it's just for personal pros vs cons. The problem with hard rubbers on soft blades is that vibration can cause a lot of missed shots because you really want a steady blade for attacking shots. As with soft rubbers on harder blades you really need the softer blades to medium blades to really take advantage of the dwell created by the soft rubbers.

As for the comment on Joo's stroke he uses his body's power also because of the 1.9 mm thick sponge. With Chinese 2.2 max on Joo's blade there would be much more speed than compared to the 1.9

totally agree , but he uses 1.9 for chopping if he gets max sponge thickness his chops would go straight out and without desired spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I have used Donic Epox Control blade with Acuda s1 turbo on fh and baracuda on bh and it didn't dissapointed me. Topspin from near the table was incredible spinny, but I struggle when I have to topspin the ball from a considerable distance to the table. Also, pushes and flicks was very easy to do. If you play close to the table I highly recomend this setup. Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
totally agree , but he uses 1.9 for chopping if he gets max sponge thickness his chops would go straight out and without desired spin

Sorry yes I was referring to his topspin shots. He uses his body more because of his slow blade and 1.9 sponge. If he were to use 2.2 and only attack on the forehand side he would probably not have to use his full body stroke as he does now. I realize that the 1.9 is for chopping just that it is also a reason for his current topspin stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Read 4 reviews
When u put very soft rubbers on fast hard woods like tricarbon this setup will have a speed limit, when your hits not reach this limit game will be good. And when your hit will be faster than speed limit u will have a balls with no spin, because your sponge will be pressed extremely fast and don't work as good as on off kind of blades.

Reactions: virtuososiu