We all know cleaning is good...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It is on one hand weird as his rubber does not seem very dirty but on the other, I think that this is still possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I'm sorry but that vid is dumber than dirt. What a waste of time and electricity. Of course that's whats going to happen, only a total idiot wouldn't get it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Gee ferdy, thanks for your constructive input. ANYONE could expect such grip with even a negative angle on, because maintaining grip upside down makes total sense, especially something that weighs more than the standard tackiness threshold is meant to. Next time don't waste your time and your electricity posting such useless comments.

UsakoKirei, yes you should use water. Water won't dry the rubber out and will help lift off the dust and oils, use a sponge and wipe. TT cleaners work, but most other stuff contains a bit of alcohol or destructive chemicals that dry out the rubber and make it brittle.

This user has no status.
Gee ferdy, thanks for your constructive input. ANYONE could expect such grip with even a negative angle on, because maintaining grip upside down makes total sense, especially something that weighs more than the standard tackiness threshold is meant to. Next time don't waste your time and your electricity posting such useless comments.

UsakoKirei, yes you should use water. Water won't dry the rubber out and will help lift off the dust and oils, use a sponge and wipe. TT cleaners work, but most other stuff contains a bit of alcohol or destructive chemicals that dry out the rubber and make it brittle.

wow! thats surprise me a lot, cause all people i know said, its not so good for the rubber :S

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This was my bat. The film wasn't done to show an exact amount that grip improved, just that a clean rubber surface provided better grip than one that hasn't been cleaned - even where the surface of the rubber may look clean. Regarding "Ferdy's" comment, it may well be obvious but there are lot's of people who play for fun in our league who don't clean their bats regularly and sometimes wonder why they can't get the spin they are looking for any more. This video was a visual experiment done to help demonstrate what others may know to be obvious.

Regarding the water issue, I was rules and research secretary for our league and as there was hassle about what chemically altering the playing characteristics of a table tennis rubber meant and other issues around tuning and boosting at the time so I emailed Odd Gustavsen at the ITTF. I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say but he was kind enough to reply. His response was basically clean your rubber with water then you wouldn't fall foul of rule 2.4.7 which talks about the racket being used without any physical, chemical or other treatment - assuming of course you don't consider using water as chemical or other treatment. A whole grey area and one I didn't want to get in to in the video.

Last edited: