Gluing OX rubber

This user has no status.
Hi

I'm putting together a defensive blade - part for fun and part for trying out this style of play.

I want to chop mid-distance and be able to attack when I get the chance.

So I've been e-baying and got a used Donic defplay classic senso, a Friendship 729 super fx 2.0 FH and Butterfly feint OX BH.

Gluing the forehand is no problem, but I have never tried gluing OX before, so - how do you guys do it?

Some say gluing the rubber only, some glue rubber and blade and some use adhesive foil, but wich method works the best?

(and feel free to comment on the setup please)

Thanks

/Lars

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi

I'm putting together a defensive blade - part for fun and part for trying out this style of play.

I want to chop mid-distance and be able to attack when I get the chance.

So I've been e-baying and got a used Donic defplay classic senso, a Friendship 729 super fx 2.0 FH and Butterfly feint OX BH.

Gluing the forehand is no problem, but I have never tried gluing OX before, so - how do you guys do it?

Some say gluing the rubber only, some glue rubber and blade and some use adhesive foil, but wich method works the best?

(and feel free to comment on the setup please)

Thanks

/Lars
1. Open up the OX rubber, don't away the paper cover that comes with it
2. Put the OX rubber (the side that need glue) on top of the paper cover
3. Use thumb tacks (3 per side) and pin the OX rubber into the paper cover
4. Apply glue on the rubber and wait for it to dry
5. With a help from your friend slowly paste the OX rubber on the blade that has already glued

Hope ti works well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
The absolute best way to glue 0x pips is to use a sheet of non stick baking paper. Copy paste from one of my posts on ooak forum(obviously if you don't want any tension on the rubber leave out the stretching part and use water based glue):

First i glue the pips using VOC glue thinned with thinner. This stretches the sheet a bit already and increases the space between pips in both directions. Then when glueing I glue only the blade. Using a sheet of baking paper i cover 90% of the blade surface. I first attach the bottom of the rubber. Then I stretch the sheet vertically, move the baking paper up a bit, attach the next part of the rubber tapping from the center outwards left and right. I keep the rubber stretched all the time so there will be tension on the sheet similar to the tension old D-tecs had.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
I've always wondered what happens if you boost/tune a pimple rubber, does it even have any effect?

Treating the base sheet of pips rubbers with thinner/lamp oil usually expands the rubber and therefore changes the distance between pips so yes it has an effect. You can even treat the pips themselves and increase the length and sometimes width. This doesn't exactly help the durability of the pips though.