Gavin Rumgay commentary: ITTF

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
My good friend Gavin Rumgay will be debuting his first every commentary on the ITTF live streaming today at 1.30PM GMT. The match he will commentate will be Xu Xin vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov today on the ITTF ITTV! You can watch and listen to the match live here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/ittfstream.php

We can use this thread to discuss what we think of Gavin's commentary!

Enjoy the match everyone!

rumgayttdshirt.jpg

Gavin Rumgay is an extremely experienced table tennis player who is currently ranked top 220 in the world. Born from Scotland he has been coached by many of the worlds best coaches and has gained tremendous experience on his journey. Can a skilled player like Rumgay change peoples views on the ITTF commentary? Have your say.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Excellent news to see our main man Gavin Rumgay is going to be commentating such an amazing match.
Gavin has loads of experience at international level and as a good player he really does know what is happening on every shot plus how the players think.
With this knowledge i'm sure he will do us proud on the commentating today so let's hope he gets some more.
Good luck Gavin LET'S 'AVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow I think Gav was superb, I could only listen through my phone as I am away from my laptop at the moment. But from what I heard it was great. Talking about the tactics and angles was very good to. What did you all think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
My thought about Gavin's commentary tonight (Well it's night here):
1. Good voice for commentating with clear articulation. Could catch and understand every single world perfectly as someone who watch and listen.
2. Unlike most commentator, Gavin actually analyze what tactics the player employ, the placement of the ball, etc. We need that.
3. What he is lacking is experience in commentating, that's all..

4 out of 5 for Gavin. Send my regards, he is awesome :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Well done Gavin, brings a clarity of speech and relevant comment to the commentary. A talented and articulate young man both on and off the table.

Administrator
Oct 2010
Here are responses from our facebook users on the TableTennisDaily page:

Dave Cochrane Gavin was awesome, let's hope he gets to do some more :)
2 hours ago via Mobile · Unlike · 1

Yusuf Miller Thought he was good, his accent was cool and he knew what he was talking about :)
2 hours ago · Unlike · 2

Charles Drassler It is (very) good that he doesn't feel compelled to respond/retort to all of John's (God love him) ramblings. Well done Gavin. Continued success! ;-D
56 minutes ago · Like

Michael O'Driscoll I'll second that - he was excellent. A calmly confident presence, very accomplished and quite amazing for a first run. Commentating is one of those things that usually takes time to get in to. It felt like he'd been doing it years. I'd certainly hope the ITTF are suitably impressed.

Reactions: TT Guru
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
i thought he was really good, better than the other guy :) but lets be honest, thats not that hard, no offence to the man :p
Offence to him!
The guy, this John, he is like jerking off everytime he sees Ma Lin play .. yuck, its just Ma Lin here, Ma Lin there..
Even now, Ma Lin is 3:0 down, probably is going to get bad beat and still its Ma Lin everywhere ..

Anyways Gavin on the other hand was pretty cool, I am very very sad he is not commentating now anymore :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
That was great!! :)
Anyways - why this Gavin is not here??
He should make some posts too, right??
I was very happy to hear him commentating again, just he was too downtrodden by this John, who at some point, simply had to mention and talk a little about Ma Lin, who wasnt even in this tournament.. That guy should go and propose to Ma Lin, he would refuse and John would jump from the cliff, lol :D

I am happy for Gavin commentatin, he is seeing things like no other commentator I know. He is thinking or trying to think just like the players playing. He is trying to analyze what their strategy is, what they are trying to do! Not talking about when they played who or who they beat in earlier rounds.
We can find that info online too! But to tell us that they use no spin serves and trying to attack in there or in there, that is something we didnt hear before! And THAT is what we can really learn from! Because - this part of the game is often not learned or explained so this is opportunity for us and I am happy that Gavin was there to tell us! I hope he will commentate as often as possible!

So I quit this post with shout:

GO, GAVIN, GO!!!