Zhang Ji Ke's technique--banana flick in detail

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thx you for this paper, I think it is very interessting, Anyone can translate in english please ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I'm definitely gonna try this out, looks cool :D has anyone done that before ? Is it hard ? ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
No it is not , it takes about 3-4 months to master the stroke if you have the correct people to feed you the ball . However, the difficult part is to master the footwork to come back to your ready position in the backhand corner to take the follow up shot.

However, I was not interested in the flick , I was interested in the Zhang Jike's technique details, the article from bokkett was posted in english somewhere, anybody has a clue ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think you have to change your grip a bit for the stroke so you your wrist is not locked

Probably not true, this is what my knowledge says and I am not claiming absolute truth here , just my understanding . There are two kinds of grip , the shallow grip which is more suited for forehand , but back hand can be played with this grip with a little less feeling because your thumb is further down the paddle. Compared to this you have the deep grip where you thumb and forefinger is completely and as much as possible on the rubber. This helps you with a better backhand because you have more feeling on the backhand with this grip. I believe Zhang Jike uses this grip and its also one of the reasons why his forehands always have a little more sidespin than say a Ma Long forehand. On his forehand he has to take the ball a little later and generate his own spin instead of taking it early. I guess Fan Zhendong has discovered the solution to this problem and that why he has a better counter than Zhang jike :p

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Probably not true, this is what my knowledge says and I am not claiming absolute truth here , just my understanding . There are two kinds of grip , the shallow grip which is more suited for forehand , but back hand can be played with this grip with a little less feeling because your thumb is further down the paddle. Compared to this you have the deep grip where you thumb and forefinger is completely and as much as possible on the rubber. This helps you with a better backhand because you have more feeling on the backhand with this grip. I believe Zhang Jike uses this grip and its also one of the reasons why his forehands always have a little more sidespin than say a Ma Long forehand. On his forehand he has to take the ball a little later and generate his own spin instead of taking it early. I guess Fan Zhendong has discovered the solution to this problem and that why he has a better counter than Zhang jike :p
As far as i see both Zhang Jike and Ma Long, especially Ma Long, change their grips for backhand and forehand.Fan Zhendong forehand counter topspin is not better than Zhang Jike. And if it was, it can have several reasons like Fan trains more forehands and so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The majority view is that changing grip is not okay unless you are boy prodigy like Timo or Ma Long :p
Whether its correct and effective to change your grip for backhand and forehand i think is something that needs an answer .. I have caught myself changing grip to backhand some times and i had been told its mistaken so i dont do it anymore. Whats do you think ? Which way is better ?