Tennis vs Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I am an amateur tt player and I've recently started following the tt tournaments and learning about the players. However, I've been following (lawn) tennis (you know, the one Federer and Nadal play) for years. I've been wondering if you guys can help me learn more about the greatest tt players by finding some associations or analogies between them and the great tennis players.

For instance from what I've seen of Wang Liqin, I feel tempted to draw an analogy with Sampras, because of their legendary, dominating forehands and simple but effective game plans, whereas as Ma Lin is a player who seems to possess the same spirit as Andre Agassi: creativity, unmatched variety of shots that can be used to strategically adjust the game plan in the middle of match and deep commitment to physical fitness. And chubbiness :)

Do you have any other analogies between tt players and tennis players? Who in the tennis world would you compare with J-O Waldner?

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Well there's Timo Boll who is kinda like Federer. Calm, simple but effective play and not getting involved that much in rallies but still winning :)

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
Who in the tennis world would you compare with J-O Waldner?
Federer. Superb allround player with unmatched stroke precision and both offensive and defensive capabilities, not to mention keeping cool under pressure.

BTW, which of the TT players has the worst temper? I guess that guy (whoever he may be) could be compared to either John "Superbrat" McEnroe, or Goran Ivanišević. :)

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
Hi guy, I'm also table tennis & tennis fans, like you.
But in my opinion, Ma Lin is similar as Federer (technical). First, Ma Lin is a penholder, Federer is one back hand player, both are unusual in their field. Second both of them had so good serve & return skills (I think their serve is on similary level, Ma Lin's return skill is No.1 in TT, Federer also on the top, may be only behind Djokovic or Murry). Third, Ma Lin is very good at dealing with short ball, it is like Federer good at volleying and chopping. Other, both of them are efficient terminators, Federer had fatal forhand attack similar as Ma Lin's third ball forhand attacks.

:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi guy, I'm also table tennis & tennis fans, like you.
But in my opinion, Ma Lin is similar as Federer (technical). First, Ma Lin is a penholder, Federer is one back hand player, both are unusual in their field. Second both of them had so good serve & return skills (I think their serve is on similary level, Ma Lin's return skill is No.1 in TT, Federer also on the top, may be only behind Djokovic or Murry). Third, Ma Lin is very good at dealing with short ball, it is like Federer good at volleying and chopping. Other, both of them are efficient terminators, Federer had fatal forhand attack similar as Ma Lin's third ball forhand attacks.

:D

That's a very interesting comparison, I didn't think of that. Ma Lin happens to be my favorite tt player. But he didn't achieve the same level of dominance as Federer in his sport - nobody has, not even Waldner. So maybe "Federer of table tennis" has not yet been born.

Bjorn Borg - Waldner comparison anyone?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That's a very interesting comparison, I didn't think of that. Ma Lin happens to be my favorite tt player. But he didn't achieve the same level of dominance as Federer in his sport - nobody has, not even Waldner. So maybe "Federer of table tennis" has not yet been born.

Bjorn Borg - Waldner comparison anyone?

Well, Wang Liqins dominance might be comparable to Federers, and both have failed to win the Olympic Singles title :p Only their playing styles won't be much alike.

says no prob man well i am from lahore have been playing for...
says no prob man well i am from lahore have been playing for...
Apr 2011
Bjorn Borg? Got to be Ryu Seung Min!
But the backhand doesn't seem to correlate much.. Hmm..

Chen Weixing = John McEnroe (tantrums)

And I forget one awesome tennis player in the past always playing near the net..
Probably for his athleticism he could be compared to Joo..
i guess u r talking about pete sampras

Ian

This user has no status.

Ian

This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Good shouts on the Ma Long/Nadal and Zhang Jike/Djokovic comparisons.

I'd also say:
Flair: Richard Gasquet / Any young French player (Mattenet, Gauzy, Flore, etc)
Solid all-round play and great backhands: Andy Murray / Dimitrij Ovtcharov
Rocket forehands: Juan Martin Del Potro / Ryu Seung Min

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I agree with you, he is one of my fav players in tennis, lots of females too.. :p
I recently found Federer tennis racquets history and I am amazed that Wilson racquets are customized for him according to the instruction and engineers make it possible for him.

I think you missed the point. Do you know who Ma Lin was? I think Tommy Lee was comparing Federer to Ma Lin. The emphasis being on the TABLE Tennis player's unique qualities. Why are you talking about the design of Roger Federer's rackets? It does not seem to me to have much to do with Table Tennis.