Pl. HELP ! Guidance for beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi! I have started my kid on TT with Stiga Orion premade bat. Since she is showing keen interest I thought of giving her an incentive by getting her a better bat so that her enthusiasm would continue. The present premade Stiga is on the heavier side.

I am on a tight budget - will need to your help in getting the max "pong" for the buck!

Choice for rubber:
1. Yasaka Mark V (I had tried this when I was a kid - ball used to fly off compared with any pre-made bat!). Highly recommended everywhere.
2. 729 Cross (this is the only 729 available, No DHS, Galaxy or other under-rated brands mentioned in one of the threads) - 1/3 the cost of MarkV!

Choice for blade:
1. LKT Toxic
2. Donic Applegren Exclusive
3. Joola Carbon (not sure about suitability, as this seems to be a fast blade)
4. Donic Waldner Exclusive
5. GKI Euro XX (not sure if some of you have heard of this Indian brand).

Criteria for the shortlist in blades was the price.

Will the Yasak MarkV go OK with the above blades?

My 2nd kid also is interested. 8yr. Should I start her with 729 Cross? She is unable to use the Stiga Orion -says it is too heavy!

Pl. help!

This user has no status.
Hi.

I would not recommend a fast carbon blade for a novice. Also, the Mark V is quite a fast rubber with not that much control (relatively).

For price/performance, I am currently trying out and recommend the Giant Dragon S3 Soft, as a cheaper medium-soft rubber with good combination of speed/spin/control. Details here:
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/giant-dragon-superspin-g3-soft.html
You should be able to find it online for about $20-$25 per sheet.

As for blade, I am in the process of trying to find something cheaper so not settled yet, but I would recommend an ALL+ light blade (all wood maybe with some balsa core to reduce weight).

Reactions: singinadam
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Thank you, Blackbird.

The problem is some of the VFM brands like Giant Dragon are not available in India. I am still searching.
How is Galaxy Moon?
How are DHS Skyline TG3, DHS NeoHurricane 3, NeoSkyline TG3?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you want extra cheap budget, get any old over-used pre-made blade that is ready for the trash heap and take off the rubber, then use the rubber to remove the heavy residue of glue. Then, you can glue on 729 rubber. Such a premade blade will most likely be ALL Minus or ALL in speed and just right for a beginner, PLUS... it will cost you ZERO as it is getting tossed out or you can offer to buy a drink for it. The 729 rubbers are dirt cheap and will work for her, so go for it dude!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi Singinadam.. where are you in India? There are some shops here in Hyd that sell chinese brands but these are not so popular. Is your kid getting coached by someone? If so, I would suggest something like Yasaka Gatien Extra. Many cadet level players here use that. Kids learn very fast with coaches. If you want a lightweight blade, then go for Stiga Offensive Classic WRB. Both are around 1800-2200. Most shops sell old stock. Be careful when you shop.

Also, as Der_Echte suggested you can remove the rubber as well as glue on your kid's premade blade and slap on a pair of Mark V or 729 Cross. Stay away from tacky rubbers. But that's just my opinion.

Plus, you can always order chinese stuff online at ttnpp.com or zeropong.com.. Hope this helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Why not LKT Instinct or LKT Instinct+? I see the LKT Instinct recommended a lot for beginners. Personally I have not played so much with Chinese bats. But 3 weeks back I received my DHS PG7 from ttnpp and I really like it. No need to spend a lot of money on Euro stuff as of now. I have tried DHS PG7, Yinhe T1 and Hurricane King. DHS blades are good but weigh a ton when paired with Hurricane/Skyline rubbers. You might want to factor in weight of the bat as well.

This user has no status.
Thank you, Blackbird.

The problem is some of the VFM brands like Giant Dragon are not available in India. I am still searching.
How is Galaxy Moon?
How are DHS Skyline TG3, DHS NeoHurricane 3, NeoSkyline TG3?

I tried all of those except Moon, so can't comment on that one.

All of the others I found very difficult to get used to as they are generally a lot harder sponge than I am used to with the softer Euro/Japanese sponges. I don't recommend them for general use, unless you are going to boost the bejesus out of them to soften the sponge from brick-like to something usable. Certainly not recommended for a beginner.

The GD S3 Soft is a much better in that respect, and while not as soft as many Euro levels, it is very usable, and round about soft to medium-soft in my experience. (Softens up a bit after about an hour's play).

I don't know about India distributors, but you are a heck of a lot closer to China than UK, so you can probably find something.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Totally agree with BlackBird74. I ordered DHS Hurricane 3 Neo provincial along with my PG7 blade. I couldn't play with it at all. I could loop with a lot of spin but couldn't play finishes/counters with any power. It takes a lot of strength in legs, shoulder. 2 weeks later, I removed it. I lost my FH a little bit thanks to Hurricane. I probably got stronger though! :) Now I have Xiom Omega IV Pro on FH and I am much happier!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Totally agree with BlackBird74. I ordered DHS Hurricane 3 Neo provincial along with my PG7 blade. I couldn't play with it at all. I could loop with a lot of spin but couldn't play finishes/counters with any power. It takes a lot of strength in legs, shoulder. 2 weeks later, I removed it. I lost my FH a little bit thanks to Hurricane. I probably got stronger though! :) Now I have Xiom Omega IV Pro on FH and I am much happier!

chinese style rubbers are all like that.
just keep yourself to european rubbers and you should be fine :)

This user has no status.
chinese style rubbers are all like that.
just keep yourself to european rubbers and you should be fine :)

Not at the rate they keep increasing in price every year ;)

I took the summer to try out a few cheaper options, but found that the feel of the softer sponge was missing from many. I currently have one G3 Soft on FH and a Donic Quattro Formula on BH, which is what I was using on both sides for last couple of years. I will be going to G3 Soft on both sides soon.

For years, prices were gradually increasing, and the Tenergy set a new price ceiling that the others are free to exploit. With the G3 at about £18 per sheet, that is just under half-price for similar performance, so I am voting with my feet :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Not at the rate they keep increasing in price every year ;)

I took the summer to try out a few cheaper options, but found that the feel of the softer sponge was missing from many. I currently have one G3 Soft on FH and a Donic Quattro Formula on BH, which is what I was using on both sides for last couple of years. I will be going to G3 Soft on both sides soon.

For years, prices were gradually increasing, and the Tenergy set a new price ceiling that the others are free to exploit. With the G3 at about £18 per sheet, that is just under half-price for similar performance, so I am voting with my feet :)

there are also many european style rubbers from chinese companies.
palio has some decent ones.
but h3, h2, tg3, tg2 are all chinese style.
chinese style = hard sponge, slow, tacky topsheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I recommend trying to find a nice soft rubber such as LKT Pro XT or 729 Focus Snipe III. I would suggest an all around blade made of wood such as a wing fast or wing medium. If you want a good LKT blade the 5 ply Instinct blade is very good for beginners.

I would suggest using soft rubber at first until your kids learn to spin the ball and generate power from technique. Then if they choose to use chinese forehand rubber they can adjust to it later and produce heavy spins and powerful loops. Chinese rubbers are usually harder, but they produce more spin and speed when you have the right technique than the euro/jap rubbers do.

This user has no status.
there are also many european style rubbers from chinese companies.
palio has some decent ones.
but h3, h2, tg3, tg2 are all chinese style.
chinese style = hard sponge, slow, tacky topsheet.

Agree. Getting hold of the euro-style cheaper Asiian rubbers can be a bit difficult though, but I have tried a few out this summer.

I don't want to change too often, and too much, as I don't think it is good for my game, but the annual price rises above inflation levels do not seem to be slowing off any, so I decided to have a look around.

A cheaper blade will be next on the list, but still deciding on that one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
I live in a township - nearest civilization is 25 km away . As such the kids travel 50 km each day for the schooling itself. I think you get the idea. They don't have access to any coaching. Downloaded some coaching videos, incl. those upped here in these forums. In fact I came across this forum while searching for any videos!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Pl. be patient and scroll down. There is some rule that prevents me from posting hyperlinks. Hence these extra posts to reach the grand score of 5!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
This is the final shortlist:

Blades:
1. Galaxy W6 (equivalent to the Yasaka Gatien Extra as per this table)
2. LKP Instinct

Rubbers:
1. Palio CJ8000 (as suggested above)
2. 729 Cream - one doubt - which one to buy - German, Jap or Chinese?
3. 729 SuperFX
4. 729 Focus Snipe 3

What would be the better combinations FH & BH? Request to pl. suggest two options. Thanks!

Last edited: