Most effective serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi all,

What's your most effective serve? For me, backhand serves are good for a few points, especially the half long topspin type but then your opponent gets used to it and you have to change. Having a variety of serves up your sleeve keeps them guessing, but I would never imagine having to face this serve:

Watch from (3:39)

Practising this with a bucket of balls can't do your joints any good!

Cheers

stoic

Reactions: azlan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey nice thread!

Yes that is a crazy serve from Ma Long!! When i first saw it i was like how!! ha... Anyways.. yeh the backhand serves can be effective and great... I found doing reverse serves short to the forehand used to catch people out a lot or give you a nice easy ball to attack the 3rd ball :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
guys check out ryu seung min's serves against smirnov here. He won about 15 points only with serve

s

Hey thanks for the match StealthAssasin! I like it at 1.04 when Schlager is coaching RYU and you can hear them talking... i have always wanted to hear the coaches talking about tactics in a match like this :)

Btw - hope your enjoying the site! welcome :D

Dan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
When i,m in a Deuce game or match point i like the high toss and actually bringing the racket back once the ball is on the way up just a settle distraction!!!

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
dead balls disguised as underspin can give wonderful results if your opponent doesn't see it. The change of the angle of the blade is so subtle that many players fail to notice it.
Either they spin/hit it long off the table, or they try to push it back way too high :D

May 2011
For those interested:
You can serve a dead ball by brushing through the ball with the 'head' of your paddle facing downwards. This gives the ball a little bit of underspin, but after the second bounce the spin is gone after it slowed down the ball.
The 'stop' in forward movement often confuses people, causing them to miscalculate both tempo and spin and the optimal place/moment of impact.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For those interested:
You can serve a dead ball by brushing through the ball with the 'head' of your paddle facing downwards. This gives the ball a little bit of underspin, but after the second bounce the spin is gone after it slowed down the ball.
The 'stop' in forward movement often confuses people, causing them to miscalculate both tempo and spin and the optimal place/moment of impact.

Exactly correkt. A certain level of a slow ball and light underspin will STOP the ball on hte second bounce, causing the ball to NOT kick out longer than expected. If an opponent tried to setup early for the expected ball and it stops, then it can be very difficult on his or her timing, especially if they have already started the stroke or the backswing.

This get people LOTS of points and wrecks havoc with opponents' timing throughout many matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well for me it is reverse back-spin and no-spin and side-spin serve.
The general motion seems to be the same for all 3 serves and I find my opponents very hard to read it.
Well .. depends at the level.
I am now 6th league and 3rd league players had it hard..
But yesterday I played with a woman that was representant in her younghood and she read all my serves without any trouble.. :(
And her serves were so difficult for me. And all her chops were such backspinned, that even with my big forehand spin I very rarely put it in.. :(
Anyways - I also played yesterday with a world referee, he umpired some Bolls matches and Waldners too.. Old man, really..
But his serves were so good for me! We played first time and.. it was like a huge underspin, short, so I pushed and the ball popped up so high, damn, no spin!
But so well disquised!!!
I have to learn this too!

Reactions: azlan