anyone attending with me

baltimore+NA+TT.jpg

Photo by: tabletennisbug.com

Reactions: longcopwilbert
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Grumpy, I reckon you would get pretty grumpy to discover in Korea a team event at a national tourney costs under $20 and the subway ride there is under an hour if you live in Seoul and maybe an hour if you live north, and costs like $1 USD. You could all go out after the tourney for a feast and drink til no end and sing karoke til no tomorrow and maybe you spent $50-$60 altogether living bigger than a king! Our uniforms rock, but yeah, Ur right, there is nothing like a road trip in USA.

Cool to see you post here too dude.

Go to Columbous... and... let's here you report... Book 'em Danno...

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Is this the venue? I read on a blog

baltimore+NA+TT.jpg

Photo by: tabletennisbug.com

Looks amazing!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Entry fee for Baltimore Teams is around $200 per person and that is a lot of Greenbacks to let fly away. Speaking of flying, most have to fly to get to that place if they do not live near there, so that add a lot moar $$, then you stay there 4 days to complete the tourney, so that adds moar $$$, AND you have to eat sometimes, so that adds moar $$$, you don't have to shop or party, but a LOT of people do, so even moar $$$.

Anyone see where I am going with this? You end up spending over $1000 USD pretty easily on this event.

The most I spent EVER in Korea on a huge national event was $20 for a Singles and Team event. I hitched a ride to an area of Seoul for free and our club brought enough food to feed a rock concert.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Entry fee for Baltimore Teams is around $200 per person and that is a lot of Greenbacks to let fly away. Speaking of flying, most have to fly to get to that place if they do not live near there, so that add a lot moar $$, then you stay there 4 days to complete the tourney, so that adds moar $$$, AND you have to eat sometimes, so that adds moar $$$, you don't have to shop or party, but a LOT of people do, so even moar $$$.

Anyone see where I am going with this? You end up spending over $1000 USD pretty easily on this event.

The most I spent EVER in Korea on a huge national event was $20 for a Singles and Team event. I hitched a ride to an area of Seoul for free and our club brought enough food to feed a rock concert.

I cannot possibly understand why the fee is sooo overpriced like that! The fees for competitions in Australia, in my region to be specific, are like around $40 for singles and $75 for team, but $200!? I can't propose a reason why they charge this much! xD And the competition fee in Korea is that cheap! Ooooft!

OMG that huge! O_O
Nothing over here is that big for table tennis

Yehh man, I wish Australia really promoted Table Tennis more than what they do now, heaps of other countries have sooo many clubs and comps even in local areas D:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I cannot possibly understand why the fee is sooo overpriced like that! The fees for competitions in Australia, in my region to be specific, are like around $40 for singles and $75 for team, but $200!? I can't propose a reason why they charge this much! xD And the competition fee in Korea is that cheap! Ooooft!

Yehh man, I wish Australia really promoted Table Tennis more than what they do now, heaps of other countries have sooo many clubs and comps even in local areas D:
You should actually expect it too be that much since there is that much area and it's a big event

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Well, you do not live for years in USA where TT is VERY scattered, so some TT warriors are willing to go to some real extremes to do their thing. Not making an excuse for the high price, but only discussing some of the mindset in USA. I had to move out of USA to get some decent TT action. Now, if I get back to USA, I have a 1.2% chance of being within 10 km of a real TT centre with proper training and club environment. I am elated.

Koreans roll different. You can ride a bike to a club here, but the population density helps that and the culture of older peoples are more favorably disposed towards clubs, even if they are basement clubs. We all go to tourneys like we are both going to battle and also going to a rock concert. The ladies of the club bring a gazillion foods, we invade a potion of the 2nd floor bleachers, setup camp, eat together, drink beers together, talk smack, go out and play, and cheer as loud as humanly possible for each other. Koreans are probably the loudest peoples on the planet, except for Der_Echte. i show up to cheer when there is no one on our side and 12 on the other team, it isn't fair, because after I show up, I am louder than all of them by myself and have special cheers that no one would ever think of.

TT in Korea is a blast that simply must be experienced firsthand as part of a trip to Korea for TT adventure. As President of a foreign TT association of players here, i often point out good places to play or join together with foreigners passing through. I just had a tourney today. Even though I got knockedout after passing group stage, TTD member D@vid made it to the semis and we all went out as tourney participants for all manner of Korean veggies with a little meat and rice. we spent maybe $30 USD for both tourney and food, all we could eat and drink. NO WAY I can do any of that in USA unless I make my own club and we all live within walking distance.

You cannot shhake a stick at all teh TT action and adventure that is waiting
out here.