Who will win the China vs World Team Challenge?

• World Star Team (Timo Boll, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Michael Maze)

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • China Team (Xu Xin, Ma Lin, Wang Liqin)

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Volkswagen 2012 China vs. World Team Challenge, 24 Nov 2012 - 25 Nov 2012, Shanghai, CHN

Okay guys, we have two great tournaments coming up, firstly this weekend we have the China vs World Team Challenge! And what a line up in the draw!

Live matches from the China vs World Team Challenge can be watched in our ITTF Live Streaming which has integrated Chat

China are the hosts and are looking to retain their title. The Chinese team includes veterans Wang Liqin, Ma lin and led by young superstar Xu Xin! Crowned European champion this year, Germany’s Timo Boll is the player invited to lead the bid to defeat the reigning Olympic and World champions, China. Compatriot Dimitirj Ovtchaorv will help the world team alongside Michael Maze of Denmark! The seedings have been based on the most recent ITTF World Ranking List published by the International Table Tennis Federation on Thursday 1st November 2012.

worldvschina2012.jpg

World - Timo Boll (left) Photo by: ITTF
China - Xu Xin (right) Photo by: english.people.com.cn

Men's Teams

World Star Team

Timo Boll (WR.5)
Dimitrij Ovtcharov (WR.10)
Michael Maze (WR.15)

China

Xu Xin (WR.3)
Ma Lin (WR.6)
Wang Liqin (WR.9)

Women's Teams

World Star Team

Kim Kyung Ah (WR.5)
FENG Tianwei (WR.6)
SAMARA Elizabeta (WR.23)

China

DING Ning (WR.1)
CHENG Meng (WR.14)
ZHU Yuling (WR. 25)

worldteamphoto2012.jpg

Photo thanks to the International Table Tennis Federation Facebook Page

Live matches of the China vs World Team Challenge can be watched in our ITTF Live Streaming which has integrated Chat

This tournament will be very interesting, how will Xu Xin lead his China team? Could Timo Boll lead the world to victory?

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular event! What are your predictions from each event?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well, China´s team is really not the best team they can build, thats good..
But Maze wont win a damn thing, maybe Boll and Ovtcharov can beat Ma Lin or Wang Liqin, so it depends on how they will play, who will play who..
I doubt anyone from World team can beat Xu Xin, so thats it..
In the womens - Samara Elizabeta can get some huge huge surprise, she is capable doing it.. :)
Anyone knows the schedule? I mean - who will play who?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
aah, I found this, this is interesting!

Match Format Men’s and Women’s Teams play the same match format
1st Match (Doubles):
§ The World Team decides its own doubles pair, and also decides the combination of the Chinese Doubles pair.
2nd Match (1st single):
• The World Team decides who will play the 2nd match (1st singles match), and then this player selects the player he wants to face
from China.
3rd Match (2nd Single):
• The World Team decides who will play the 3rd match (2nd singles match), and then this player selects the player he wants to play
from China.
4th Match (3rd Single)
• The remaining World Team player plays against the 3rd remaining China Team player.
5th Match (4th Single – if needed)
• In the case that the match is tied 2-2, then each team will choose one player from their own side to play an 11-points deciding game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
aah, I found this, this is interesting!

Match Format Men’s and Women’s Teams play the same match format
1st Match (Doubles):
§ The World Team decides its own doubles pair, and also decides the combination of the Chinese Doubles pair.
2nd Match (1st single):
• The World Team decides who will play the 2nd match (1st singles match), and then this player selects the player he wants to face
from China.
3rd Match (2nd Single):
• The World Team decides who will play the 3rd match (2nd singles match), and then this player selects the player he wants to play
from China.
4th Match (3rd Single)
• The remaining World Team player plays against the 3rd remaining China Team player.
5th Match (4th Single – if needed)
• In the case that the match is tied 2-2, then each team will choose one player from their own side to play an 11-points deciding game.

Hmm so if the World team wants to have an easy match, they could just choose Wang Liqin and Ma Lin for the first 3 matches.. :p Have they actually ever played doubles together?

Less fun: All matches start between 5am and 9am GMT... Don't think I'll get up that early.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well, China´s team is really not the best team they can build, thats good..
But Maze wont win a damn thing, maybe Boll and Ovtcharov can beat Ma Lin or Wang Liqin, so it depends on how they will play, who will play who..
I doubt anyone from World team can beat Xu Xin, so thats it..
In the womens - Samara Elizabeta can get some huge huge surprise, she is capable doing it.. :)
Anyone knows the schedule? I mean - who will play who?

I believe Maze beat Wang Liqin, or at least got pretty close in one of the previous World - China or Europe - Asia ;) Surely Ma Lin and Wang Liqin won't get their matches for free, while Xu should win his matches but could have trouble against Dima or Boll. I don't think this will go to China easily, let's stay positive and say 3-2 for Team World (consisting of 2 Germans and a neighbour of theirs ;)) :)

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
I think it is a difficult match both for China and Europe team, so both of them have chance to win. But there are 2 penholder in China's team, maybe it is an advantage for China. Like Ma Lin, now he is not playing well in CTTSL, but I think his playing style and technical feature will help him to play against European player.

Aug 2012
24/11, team competition:

Chen Meng / Zhu Yuling 3:2 Samara / Feng Tianwei
Ma Lin / Wang Liqin 3:1 Boll / Ovtcharov
Ding Ning 3:1 Kim Kyung Ah
Ma Lin 3:1 Boll

Last edited: