Galaxy MC-2 for a beginner?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Thinking of buying this as part of my first ever custom setup. I am not a complete beginner more an advanced beginer (if there is such a thing) -I played for several years as a kid and have picked tt up again recently.

I was thinking of pairing it with Focus III snipe on both sides.

There is limited information on the MC-2 on the net, does anyone know how fast it is?
Is it too fast for a someone still developing the fundamentals?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Why don't you just get one of the mainstream allround blades and rubbers? Get like a STIGA Allround NCT or something a bit faster and some rubbers that will suit your technique, something like Yasaka Mark V or Butterfly Sriver on both sides, just to develop your skills. They are decently priced, and an allround blade with some good control rubbers might add up to around $140? Pretty decent price :D

When choosing a blade, rubber or any equipment in general, make sure you ask the people around your table tennis club or community, and they can give you some suggestions :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
MC2 is fairly hard and stiff. Don't want hard blade with soft rubber like Focus IIIS, not a good match when you're trying to re-discover your touch. Galaxy has a bunch of softer all-wood blades which would be a better fit. For an overview:
http://mytt.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43525&PID=543157&title=updated-galaxy-blades-table'

A guess; are you shopping from TTNPP? Their blade selection from Chinese makes is pretty limited.

Btw if you don't want to wait too long to get your stuff: From Dandoy-sports for around 52€, you can get 2x Focus IIIS with a Donic Waldner Senso V1 (ALL+ speed). The shipping will take 3-4 working days to the UK, not 2-3 weeks like if you order from East Asia.

an allround blade with some good control rubbers might add up to around $140? Pretty decent price :D
Maybe a bit expensive when you can get modern rubbers like Focus IIIS with a good Chinese blade for 40$ :).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
MC2 is fairly hard and stiff, might be too hard for Focus III. Don't want hard blade with soft rubber, at least as a beginner. Galaxy has a bunch of softer all-wood blades which would be a better fit. For an overview of their huge range of blades:
http://mytt.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43525&PID=543157&title=updated-galaxy-blades-table'

A guess; are you shopping from TTNPP? Their blade selection from Chinese makes is pretty limited.

Maybe a bit expensive when you can get modern rubbers like Focus IIIS with a good Chinese blade for 40$ :).
Maybe cheaper if you get the whole set in China.
Hurricane 3 Neo, Skyline 3 and a Chinese blade, very cheap under $100 US.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Thanks for all of your commentss

I probably should have mentioned price is important to me - thats why I am avoiding the mainstream products - they are too expensive for me :(.
I am only considering chinese products like galaxy and friendship.

I picked the MC-2 because I can get it for cheap ($18 delivered to the U.K.) and I have read a few positive reviews about it on tabletennisdb (but there are only a few).

Also I didnt know it was hard and stiff the reviews on tabletennisdb it says it's medium soft and flexible, but I suppose its all subjective.

My main concern is that I don't end up with something that is unplayable for someone of my level. As long as its not crazy fast and I can control my shots I will be happy! Is the MC-2 not suitable for this?

In any case I will have a look at the blades in the table that Markvee posted (thanks for that by the way).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Oh I just meant it's fairly hard and stiff compared to blades that are normally recommended for beginners, especially for soft sponged rubbers like Focus III snipe.
The general and safe recommendation for a self-learning novice (I'm assuming you don't have a coach?) is an allround/all+ blade. Palio has this advice on their website:
Cheng Ke Yick said:
[Novices] should play with softer all-round blades. It is to develop their feel and control so they will be able to put power into the shots. A blade that is too hard will hinder their future developments.

1. soft blade and soft rubber -- can’t go wrong. Soft blade’s whipping effect and its better hold of the ball can compensate for the short range and soft shots of the soft rubber.
2. soft blade and hard rubber –- acceptable. The small sweet spot may prove to be tiring while blocking and half-volley are difficult but the long range and strong spin will be advantages.
3. hard blade and soft rubber – unacceptable. Soft shots and poor control unless he is pips-out hitter, which is perfect for that style.
4. hard blade and hard rubber – can’t go wrong. Should be very allround.

LKT Instinct is a popular beginner's blade, soft ALL+ blade, costs like 9$ on eacheng.net.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You can also try Galaxy W6 with hurricane III for your forehand and focus snipe III for your backhand. Just put a layer of Parrafin Oil(kerosene) on the sponge of the hurricane III and then a layer of baby oil. This is to slightly boost it so that you can have it like a neo. Most people will agree that Hurricane III is a good forehand rubber. Now if you dont like it, I would still recommend it because you need to develop a good stroke to play consistently with this rubber. You will feel when the stroke is good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
What do you guys think about the 729 Bomb I can get this for $10.