December World Rankings 2012

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
The ITTF have released the latest World rankings! The rankings were published by the International Table Tennis Federation on Thursday 1st November 2012.

--- Grand Slammer Zhang Jike still World No.1---​

Zhang Jike managed to win the WTTC, Men's Singles World Cup AND the Olympic Games in the past year and a half which makes him the obvious World No.1. Zhang Jike has owned the top spot for 7 months...
...But can he keep this up during 2013?

zhangno1june2012.jpg

Zhang Jike, Grand Slam Winner - Photo by: butterfly.tt

The major tournaments of the past month were the German Open in Bremen and the Polish Open in Poznan!

dima.365x265.png
wang_hao.365x265.jpg

Dmitrij Ovtcharov and Wang Hao, German/Polish Open 2012 Winners - Photos by tabletennista.com

Germany's Dmitrij Ovtcharov first managed to once again defeat Chuang Chih-Yuan in the semis, and later in the final his friend and teammate Timo Boll, in front of his homecrowd. Despite of his loss against Wang Liqin during the China Vs World challenge last week, Dima clearly showed that he belongs in the World Top 10. His work paid off and earned him a new ranking record: The 7th place. On the other hand, Japan's Jun Mizutani drops down to the 11th spot due to his inactivity.
Spain's Shen Yanfei impressed as she won over an even more impressing Iveta Vacenovska in the final. Both reach a career high at the 8th and 29th spot respectively.

One week later in Poland it was China taking away the prizes. Wang Hao and upcoming talent Zhou Yu seemed to have no problems with Jiang Tianyi and Chen Feng in the semis, after which Wang Hao took the crown with a 4-1 win in the final. Wang Hao increases the gap between him (4) and Timo Boll (5), and Zhou Yu jumps from the 84th to the 50th place.
The Women's title was taken by Ding Ning, though her final opponent impressed as well: Roumania's Elizabeta Samara records another career high at the 18th spot.

Other interesting changes:

14 (19) Jiang Tianyi
35 (50) Kim Min Seok
39 (56) Kenta Matsudaira
40 (67) Alamiyan Noshad
43 (66) Li Hu
61 (96) Yuto Muramatsu
78 (127) Cheng Feng

Men's World Rankings

01 (<<) Zhang Jike
02 (<<) Ma Long
03 (<<) Xu Xin
04 (<<) Wang Hao
05 (<<) Timo Boll
06 (<<) Ma Lin
07 (11) Dmitrij Ovtcharov
08 (<<) Chuang Chih-Yuan
09 (<<) Wang Liqin
10 (07) Jun Mizutani
11 (12) Vladimir Samsonov
12 (10) Joo Se Hyuk
13 (14) Hao Shuai
14 (19) Jiang Tianyi
15 (13) Oh Sang Eun
16 (15) Chen Qi
17 (<<) Adrian Crisan
18 (<<) Michael Maze
19 (16) Gao Ning
20 (19) Ryu Seung Min
21 (<<) Lee Jung Woo
22 (<<) Koki Niwa
23 (27) Zhan Jian
24 (29) Chen Weixing
25 (26) Bastian Steger
26 (23) Seiya Kishikawa
27 (25) Marcos Freitas
28 (24) Adrien Mattenet
29 (30) Alexander Shibaev
30 (28) Tang Peng
31 (<<) Patrick Baum
32 (33) Christian Suss

Take a look at the full World Rankings here.

Women's World Rankings

01 (<<) Ding Ning
02 (<<) Liu Shiwen
03 (<<) Li Xiaoxia
04 (<<) Guo Yan
05 (<<) Kim Kyung Ah
06 (<<) Feng Tianwei
06 (07) Ai Fukuhara
08 (11) Shen Yanfei
09 (08) Kasumi Ishikawa
10 (<<) Wu Yang
11 (09) Guo Yue
12 (14) Feng Yalan
13 (12) Chen Meng
14 (15) Yana Tie
15 (13) Wang Yuegu
16 (<<) Viktoria Pavlovich

Take a look at the full World Rankings here.

So, will Zhang Jike keep his first spot during 2013? And when will Ovtcharov overtake Timo Boll? Discuss!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
how can Boll retain his position when Mizutani drops due to 'inactivity'? Boll has not played in a single pro tour this year. No offense, this was just strange to me.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
how can Boll retain his position when Mizutani drops due to 'inactivity'? Boll has not played in a single pro tour this year. No offense, this was just strange to me.

It maybe due to his recent performance at the world cup reaching the final. Because the world cup is a major the points gained are huge

By the way fantastic discussion @steven love your work! :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hehe, ZJK must be happy that results from CSL doesnt affect the world rankings, otherwise he would drop a bit for sure! :D
Also - Timo Boll played in a pro tour and reached a final where he lost to Dima.
And he won European championships, but not sure if that counts into rankings.
Anyways - Boll played some matches, and Mizutani did not..
Also you can see Ai Fukuhara and Kasumi Ishikawa dropped one spot lower due their inactivity..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Boll did go for the German pro tour though. while there are few reasons japanese player are inactive, due to the island issue between china and japan, and also they have their own league on going right now.

Btw, Kasumin's sister also play TT and participate that league too

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Yea, It feels like he never played until the China Super League.

True @wiwa

I'd say it's due to the China Open.. huge points for winning it and hes just stayed on the ranking since. I want to see more of Shuai

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
Dimitrij deserves it. He has been working very hard this year. Could be a threat to China in the future.

You're right! I think he is the only real threat of the younger europeans at the moment for the chinese in future!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When will Dmitri O. overtake Timo B. ???

I dunno, but Dmitri is certainly ahead of Timo in the life-saving activity of checking the underside of the Table Tennis table to verify the presence of hidden explosives for a full ten count before serves.

These days, a guy cannot be TOO careful...

This user has no status.
When will Dmitri O. overtake Timo B. ???

I dunno, but Dmitri is certainly ahead of Timo in the life-saving activity of checking the underside of the Table Tennis table to verify the presence of hidden explosives for a full ten count before serves.

These days, a guy cannot be TOO careful...

When Timo Boll retires?
Based on Timo Boll's current form, it is going to take a long time for Dimitrij to overtake Boll.

Dec 2012
Do you guys really think this way? Boll has his own characteristics but it seems to me that he is to "friendly" when playing.
Ovtcharov on the contrary shows his opponent that he wants to destroy him, overcome him and beat the crap out of him. (I see a parallel to Zhang Jike, also the chooing)
He even defeated Boll in the final of the german open 2012, despite being back in sets.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Well seeing Zhang Jike's current form (also before his injury) I think both Ma Long and Xu Xin deserve to be ranked higher.

Yeah I agree guys, unless Zhang Jike recovers quick from his injury Ma Long will overtake to. Its a shame, all the hard work and then a back injury hits you. I think if Zhang Jike gets fit he will give his all again and have the fight back in him :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2