Butterfly Z-series revisited

This user has no status.
Hi all,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on the forum regarding the different Butterfly blades. Mr Richard D has provided this forum with great knowledge. I'm trying to get the definitive answer on my quest for the perfect blade. Right now I'm playing with a ST Timo Boll ALC. I love that blade, the solidness and the very accurate way it behaves. I am also quite fond of the balance, perfect between head and face. What I'm looking for is a blade that has all of the properties that the Timo Boll ALC has but is a tad bit softer. When looking at the Butterfly chart I get confused.
Screen shot 2012-12-08 at 4.38.22 PM.jpg

The chart is ordered from hard on the right to soft on the left. But for instance the Iolite NEO is harder than the ALC, which is just plain crazy.
I tried a Zhang Jike blade today at practice and I loved it. The problem is that they don't come with a straight handle. I don't like the thick blades such as Photino or Iolite.

Is Z-fiber blades generally softer? In that case would the Timo Boll ZLF or ZLC be a good choice?
Or should I go with the Innerforce ZLF or ZLC? Have they have different head shapes compared to Timo Boll?

TIA,
Mikael

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Why do you like ST blades over others?
In my opinion I like FL because for ST I might drop my racket.
And trust me it has happened before, the racket slipped out of my hand and hit the glass window, luckily it didn't break.

People have different preferences; he might like it because it feels much more comfortable or make his gameplay easier etc.

Hi all,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on the forum regarding the different Butterfly blades. Mr Richard D has provided this forum with great knowledge. I'm trying to get the definitive answer on my quest for the perfect blade. Right now I'm playing with a ST Timo Boll ALC. I love that blade, the solidness and the very accurate way it behaves. I am also quite fond of the balance, perfect between head and face. What I'm looking for is a blade that has all of the properties that the Timo Boll ALC has but is a tad bit softer. When looking at the Butterfly chart I get confused.

You're saying you're on a quest to find a perfect blade, yeah? Why not just get used to the blade instead? Get to know your racket combination more and try to adapt it to your style, don't keep changing, because then, you'll have to keep adjusting to all of them and in the process, you'd be burning a hole in your pocket! It's more of adjusting to a blade rather than trying to find one out of many that suits you.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
When I started playing as a kid, I had flared handles with my Stiga Hans Alsér, but I switched a couple of years ago. I change grip on the blade quite a lot, depending on the stroke. I think it is a cultural aspect in Sweden with Waldner, Appelgren and Persson, all playing with straight handles.

I am used to the blade I'm using now, that is not an issue. I think it is a fun part of the game to experiment with new equipment. I'm also looking for a backup setup for the upcoming league matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
When I started playing as a kid, I had flared handles with my Stiga Hans Alsér, but I switched a couple of years ago. I change grip on the blade quite a lot, depending on the stroke. I think it is a cultural aspect in Sweden with Waldner, Appelgren and Persson, all playing with straight handles.

I am used to the blade I'm using now, that is not an issue. I think it is a fun part of the game to experiment with new equipment. I'm also looking for a backup setup for the upcoming league matches.
Yea, I agree with you, trying out new equipment is pretty exciting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012

Are the equipments that you test mainly from Butterfly? Friggen expensive equipment they sell; you must have heaps of money to burn off xD

This user has no status.
I took the plunge and bought a Timo Boll ZLF. I do put in way to much of my salary on equipment, but on the other hand it's my main hobby and I play four times a week. I played with Donic for several years, but there is something lacking in the quality and feel so I switched.

Now to my analysis of the Timo Boll ALC compared to ZLF. They both weigh 86 grammes and have the same rubbers, Rakza 7 Soft Max on fh and Tenergy 05-FX 1.9 mm on bh.
The executive summary is that the ALC has more power and ZLF has more feel. The ZLF has a crisper feeling and you are very much aware of the ball and where on the bat it is. The ZLF is amazing for my backhand and over the table play. It also has a better touch in the short game and when serving.
Naturally, the ALC is more powerful away from the table and has a more muted feel. Which is better? I don't know! I could change from one to the other without problem, so the similarities are greater than the differences. Now it's only Timo Boll ZLC, Innerforce ALC and Innerforce ZLF left to try ;.)

Reactions: revulucao
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
I took the plunge and bought a Timo Boll ZLF. I do put in way to much of my salary on equipment, but on the other hand it's my main hobby and I play four times a week.
TT is not so bad for the wallet. I mean, many casual skiers/snowboarders will happily pay 450 eur for a new pair of skis or a new snowboard that they will use a few weekends in november-march... for that money you can get two ZLF and and a Maze Off.

(I also know a guy who owns a Chrysler and he pays 6-700 eur every year for spare parts...)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I took the plunge and bought a Timo Boll ZLF. I do put in way to much of my salary on equipment, but on the other hand it's my main hobby and I play four times a week. I played with Donic for several years, but there is something lacking in the quality and feel so I switched.

Now to my analysis of the Timo Boll ALC compared to ZLF. They both weigh 86 grammes and have the same rubbers, Rakza 7 Soft Max on fh and Tenergy 05-FX 1.9 mm on bh.
The executive summary is that the ALC has more power and ZLF has more feel. The ZLF has a crisper feeling and you are very much aware of the ball and where on the bat it is. The ZLF is amazing for my backhand and over the table play. It also has a better touch in the short game and when serving.
Naturally, the ALC is more powerful away from the table and has a more muted feel. Which is better? I don't know! I could change from one to the other without problem, so the similarities are greater than the differences. Now it's only Timo Boll ZLC, Innerforce ALC and Innerforce ZLF left to try ;.)
has you already try it the innerforce zlf? :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Of those blades, my favorite is the Innerforce ZLF. I like the TB ZLF as well. But I like the Innerforce better. The wood of the outer plies gives you more feeling than the TB ZLF. Truthfully, the Innerforce ZLF is the best blade I have tried.

That is the blade I will use at some point.

I am not going to worry too much about speed. Right now I am using a Stiga Allround Evolution, it would be rated Off-, and it has more than enough speed. I can supply the power myself. :)

Last edited: