Do you air your Rubbers?

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
Well, i've learned that in the first 3 days of the freshly opened rubber it will slightly change. So what they say is true. :)
BUT i usually don't wait 3 days only to air the rubber. I glue it imediately and let the whole bat with rubbers stay 3 days in my bag or so.

My advise is to not play with a bat that just got fresh rubbers on it, not because it's harming for the bat/rubber but only bcs the rubber will slightly change and you will feel it and maybe feel unconfortable!

Dec 2012
The rubber will change its characteristics in the first 3 days after opening the package.
If you play these 3 days, you get used to the rubber BUT since it will change you suddenly feel like something is wrong and you have to get used to it again ;)

Reactions: iNERDxi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
The rubber will change its characteristics in the first 3 days after opening the package.
If you play these 3 days, you get used to the rubber BUT since it will change you suddenly feel like something is wrong and you have to get used to it again ;)
OH NO, is that why I got like a mini dent in my Tenergy 05, I played with it right away after I glued it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
If you play these 3 days, you get used to the rubber BUT since it will change you suddenly feel like something is wrong and you have to get used to it again

Ahhh, that's why I lost all my feel after the first few days; had to change my style a bit to suit the rubber D:

This user has no status.
Well, i've learned that in the first 3 days of the freshly opened rubber it will slightly change. So what they say is true. :)
BUT i usually don't wait 3 days only to air the rubber. I glue it imediately and let the whole bat with rubbers stay 3 days in my bag or so.

My advise is to not play with a bat that just got fresh rubbers on it, not because it's harming for the bat/rubber but only bcs the rubber will slightly change and you will feel it and maybe feel unconfortable!

The ITTF recommend that you air your rubbers for 72 hrs before gluing because some Manufacturers still use VOC Glue in the manufacturing process.

If you were to test your racket without Airing it - There could be a chance of High VOC Content in the Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
The ITTF recommend that you air your rubbers for 72 hrs before gluing because some Manufacturers still use VOC Glue in the manufacturing process.

If you were to test your racket without Airing it - There could be a chance of High VOC Content in the Rubber

Good to follow those precautions, but meh, I don't think he'll even be entering a high level TT competition, so I doubt there would be testing anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012

Didn't they use speed glue 30 minutes before a match? Back in the day.

This user has no status.
Didn't they use speed glue 30 minutes before a match? Back in the day.

Back in the days when VOC-speedglue was allowed yes :) But since it's forbidden and they test it you can still glue with it but have to air the bat for some time to be sure to pass the test. Same goes for new rubbers as oned above, they have a certain amount of VOC inside from the production.
For most of the people here it doesn't matter because they won't get tested anyway. But when they introduced the tests with the old ENEZ-Box here in Germany there were some big discussions. Problem is, that even if you didn't glue your racket before the test but stored it in your case in which you stored the bat all the years before while speedglueing it could set some VOC free and make you fail the test. Or some edgetapes had VOC inside and were a danger to pass the test :)

Me myself got only tested one time and passed :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Do I air my Rubberz out like a good little boy in accordance with ITTF command directed procedures 100% of the time???

Sure I do!!! Just like every Amature tourney follows ITTF Tech specs on court size (never 1/3 the proper size), barrier separation, (never happens between tables), lighting, (never right), wind, (always there), no disturbances (Korean toruneys average a disturbance every 1.5 - 5 seconds and you simply must play on), proper flooring (Geflor is a foreign word to an Amature tourney director), the proper serve (Everyone who wants to gain an edge with illegal hidden serve has a green light, who will you complain to?) or certified umpire and referee at each table and venue. (You have your fellow competitors as scorekeeprs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Do I air my Rubberz out like a good little boy in accordance with ITTF command directed procedures 100% of the time???

Sure I do!!! Just like every Amature tourney follows ITTF Tech specs on court size (never 1/3 the proper size), barrier separation, (never happens between tables), lighting, (never right), wind, (always there), no disturbances (Korean toruneys average a disturbance every 1.5 - 5 seconds and you simply must play on), proper flooring (Geflor is a foreign word to an Amature tourney director), the proper serve (Everyone who wants to gain an edge with illegal hidden serve has a green light, who will you complain to?) or certified umpire and referee at each table and venue. (You have your fellow competitors as scorekeeprs.
LOL, I don't follow all of those...
At school, we play on hollow (as in wood and nothing under the wood) carpet with 4 tables squished up, also no where to move around cause there are people watching behind you. Sometimes it gets humid and we put on the fan (wind :D). LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi All :)

I've been reading and the ITTF Recommend you air your rubbers for 72 hrs before gluing them onto the Blade :),

Whos does this ?

When you air them - do you just take the rubber out of the plastic Sheet and the card insert and expose the sponge to air?

I don't air my rubbers b4 gluing them on my blade. Rubbers usually have a break in period (1-2 weeks) b4 they have a stable characteristic.

As it has been said earlier some manufactures factory tune their rubbers. If your racket should be tested for VOC-gases it has to satisfy the ittf requirements in a test of 20 seconds and not exceed 4.0 ppm which is the limit. Due to factory tuning ittf recommends 72 hours of airing the rubbers.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

So... who is the good little boy or two in this forum who properly airs out hiz rubberz and drinks hot chocolate at night before tucking in teddy bear for sleeptime?

What a mess. Of course the manufacturing process uses VOCs and of course trying to measure that fresh out of the package is going to have some residual. Of course the rubber emits VOC fresh from package much like radioactive isotope soap.

Biohazard.jpg