World Table Tennis Championships - Paris 2013

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hey Guys.

The World TT Championships is coming up from May 13 to May 20 2013. This is thread is about the players preparations,training, seeds etc.
I will let Dan make a poll when an official seed of participants is published. So come with your inputs and lets discuss :)

90781076a39940dbb5f9504709aaacdc.jpg

Photo: sina.com.cn

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This will be an amazing event! I hope to go this year fingers crossed :). I will make the official thread in April when the seeds have been released etc :) But yeah lets get discussing now! :)

I would love to see Ma Long win this Champs and take a world title!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A Little early but it is fun to start thinking about it. We were talking about the Olympics ages before they happened and trying to figure out who would go for China. The players from China have to qualify for this as well. Like, last time, Hao Shuai was one of the top qualifiers and they did not let him play and players who did not do as well in China's qualifications went. Now the Chinese players don't have to qualify because of any international rules. The Chinese National team only sends a certain # of players and they try and see which players will have the best chance of winning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Is this the WTTC?
I keep getting confused with World cup or World Championship, they are all so similar.
If it is WTTC, this is going to exciting.
I'm going for Xu Xin, he had big year this year and if he wins the WTTC, he might rank up.
(I think that Zhang Jike shouldn't be first, next year will change everything.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
So is it the WTTC?
I'm confused.

World Table Tennis Championships or WTTC: Odd years only (2009, 2011, 2013), around May.
World Team Table Tennis Championships or WTTTC: Even years only (2010, 2012, 2014), around May.

World Cup (Teams): Every year, around spring.
World Cup (Singles): Every year, around September/November.

The big difference is that the WTTC has far more competitors (hundreds) and the World Cup Singles only has about 20 competitors with a maximum of 2 per country.

So this is the WTTC, since we had a WTTTC last year. :)

Reactions: Dan and XIII
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
World Table Tennis Championships or WTTC: Odd years only (2009, 2011, 2013), around May.
World Team Table Tennis Championships or WTTTC: Even years only (2010, 2012, 2014), around May.

World Cup (Teams): Every year, around spring.
World Cup (Singles): Every year, around September/November.

The big difference is that the WTTC has far more competitors (hundreds) and the World Cup Singles only has about 20 competitors with a maximum of 2 per country.

So this is the WTTC, since we had a WTTTC last year. :)
WTTC is a bigger event as well, with more audience.
Thanks I understand now.

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
I also think that Hao Shuai will play extremely well but probably he won't win, maybe he will play against Maze, that could get interesting :D as some know from the past, there was a pretty interesting match between them :D

Otherwise i think Ovtcharov will play good, he increased his skills tremendously!
Also the young japanese (Koki Niwa) could make a little surprize and upset the ranking!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I also think that Hao Shuai will play extremely well but probably he won't win, maybe he will play against Maze, that could get interesting :D as some know from the past, there was a pretty interesting match between them :D

Otherwise i think Ovtcharov will play good, he increased his skills tremendously!
Also the young japanese (Koki Niwa) could make a little surprize and upset the ranking!

As much as I hope Maze to win the Worlds, I don't think he'll beat Hao Shuai again :p But you never know :D Who would have thought Vladi caused ZJK that much trouble, or Boll losing to Crisan in the Olympics? In the big tournaments, anything can happen :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Would be fun to see Hao Shuai at the WTTC this time. They really have blocked him since that loss to Maze in 2005. That is a long time ago. It will be interesting to see who will win and if anyone who is not from China can even be competitive is actually a valid question. At the last Singles WTTC 6 of 8 quarterfinalists were from China and 3 of 4 semifinalists were from China. At the Olympics there were two players from China in the Men's Singles event and there were 2 players from China in the finals. Those stats are pretty daunting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I think they will not send Hao Shuai to the WTTC 2013. They think he has no chance to win and they will send a young chinese who needs the experience like Zhou Yu, Fang Bo or Yan An
That is true, I also believe that there should be a maximum of 2 per country.
I'm sick of the Chinese topping, there should be a fair chance to every country. China usually puts most of the team in WTTC, that's why we always see China dominating in the finals. They should make a match where they fight for the top two spots to participate in the WTTC.

Dec 2012
I dont think so, the olympics already limit the entrance at 2 per country, why also the wttc?
If a non-chinese player would go to the final or even win, it would mean much more for him, since he knows he competed with the elite.
If no chinese player would participate (lets just say) and Boll/Mizutani/Dima or whoever would win, everybody would still say:
" Yeah wow, he won, but if the chinese would have played they wouldnt be the winner" or similar.

Reactions: mefisto81