Chuang-Chih Yuan uses black side as forehand now?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Just out of pure curiosity, I've noticed that Chuang-Chih Yuan uses the black side of his racket as his forehand at the GAC Grand Final at Hangzhou. Has he changed his forehand to Chinese rubber, or has he just switched his initial forehand rubber (Red Tenergy 64) with his NOW forehand rubber (which was his backhand rubber initially, Tenergy 05)?

Another thing that I have noticed is that his playing style has changed a bit; his serve is a bit different where he used to use that... corkscrew-like serve to generate a reverse pendulum side spin but now uses the pendulum serve like all the other Chinese players. Maybe a sense of change from him? What do you guys think?

Here is the video which shows him using the black side now:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
He might be following the chinese player trend..
My guess is he changed his rubber from the grippy euro rubber to a tacky chinese rubber thus he needs to get the most out of the chinese rubber by changing to black on the forehand.. Just a guess though..

It's the most plausible answer! What I was thinking as well!

Do you think that a black chinese rubber is "better" than a red one?

People say that the black side offers more control, which is why tyres (which are made of rubber material) are black and not red); apart from that, I actually don't know the difference! XD

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
It's the most plausible answer! What I was thinking as well!

People say that the black side offers more control, which is why tyres (which are made of rubber material) are black and not red); apart from that, I actually don't know the difference! XD

Red tyres would look awesome :D Wouldn't believe that black rubber is more controlable then red rubber, very interesting!