can you put your left leg beside the sideline when you serve?

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
The only thing is to toss the ball 15-16 cm high and upwards, and that the ball is to be seen by your opponent at any time of your serve! you can't hide the ball but for example are allowed to hide your bat for a moment (switching rubbers i.e.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
blahness, I KNOW you coulda/should read ITTF rules Paragraph 2.6 about serve saying what everyone said...

Maybe you were trying to catch someone giving wrong advice and let the hammer down...
But seriously who will read all the rules? Most of us won't even be in an ITTF rule tournament.
After saying that, It seems you have just did what I said no one will do...

Dec 2012
But seriously who will read all the rules? Most of us won't even be in an ITTF rule tournament.
After saying that, It seems you have just did what I said no one will do...

I'm curious, what did u say noone will do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I'm curious, what did u say noone will do?
Read all the ITTF rules of Table tennis.
Many National Associations, including USA have adopted teh ITTF rules pretty much wholsale intact. It pays to know the rules of our sport to protect oneself from being taken advantage of by others.
LOL true.
But here many players don't really look at each others rackets to check for signs of boosting or speed glue, so basically they just want to play.

Reactions: Fritz ITTF
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
If playing at recreational level, and not the competition, it seldom people will care about it. Not even the serving rule lol... because everyone just want to have some fun instead of being too serious. Although I know some people would take it very seriously.

But at the competition level, even at primary school level, we used to check each other paddle, and following those rule.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
the ball is the sole important part of the serve.
throw it up 16cm, near vertical, and it must be behind the endline when you make contact with it.
also dont hide it,
where your body is is totally irrelevant (as long as youre not like, lying on the table :p ) provided you dont hide the ball :)
Isn't it 10 cm or something?
Oh well, checking ITTF rules time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Back to the original question... it is the ball that is the important factor. When struck it has to be behind the end service line. The body can be anywhere.

I had a junior I coached once who stood around the side of the table to serve but the ball was behind the end line. At a tournament I asked an International Umpire if this was ok as I had been asked about it before (the player was not there but as it was an IU I thought to check). Before long every umpire involved in the event and a number of coaches/players were all gathered around a table discussing it. Was a very bizarre experience as it held the whole event up for 15 minutes and the player was not even there.

Consensus was it was the ball not the player that was the key element in the rules.