PDA

View Full Version : Ma Long's Technique in Detail

Dan
01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
What amazing images!!

This is a fantastic book that details Ma Longs technique in detail!!
Any Chinese Translators welcome!

Ma Long's Forehand

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
All images taken from http://www.bokett.com in reference to ping-pong world

What do you think of his technique in breakdown?... im sure we can learn a lot from this!

damo
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
great......

gauravvraj
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
WOW this is awsome man...
Thanks for these detailed pics.
:D
but please someone translate this !!

TTOski
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeahh, I love the way Ma plays..

unagidon
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
awesome! thanks for the information!

Bollforte94
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
there are missing pic first image pic 1 -3 and 6-7

golfnumeric
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The step-by-step pictures are fantastic. His movement is not really different from the basic. I think his great performance comes from great footwork. :p

Balleimer09
01-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Can the complete book/manual be downloadad from bokett? If so can you post the full direct link? Or any knowledge if the book can be ordered via amazon?

joelstar
01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
WOW! i TOTALLY LOVE THIS DAN! THANKS! Anyway, when would you upload the vid for the christmas prize draw?

MrTralphT
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Why in all the images the 5-6 is missing :(

Dan
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey MrTralpht

Thanks for joining the forum

Ma Long's backhand

Image 6
Image 7
Image 8
Image 9
Image 10

Bollforte94
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Because of his injury he is maybe not able to play in the future and has to stop his career. His injury dont want to heal. If Ma Long really stops playing tabletennis my table tennis world is completly damaged ... I take so much inspiration from him

unagidon
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
nice! useful information!

Bollforte94
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
nice! useful information!

its not nice, tt is not the same without him

madamada
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
its not nice, tt is not the same without him

i dont think he was talking about that
ma long is also my fav player :)

zookato
01-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah yeah Yeah ,, AWESOME ^_^

He is my Best player ever :)

GECA
01-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah yeah Yeah ,, AWESOME ^_^

He is my Best player ever :)

I agree man:D

Tamez_94
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Awesome!! for me he have the best forehand..

UsakoKirei
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
thank you for those great pictures :D

MrJunMizutaniJP
01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
One of the best topic in this forum :)

yttl
01-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Here is a translation of Image 1 and 2. Image 1 and Image 2 are in fact opposing pages in a magazine (Ping Pong World, the most popular Table Tennis Magazine in China), with Image 1 on the left and Image 2 on the right. The whole article is about Ma Long's Loog Drive against down spin. The Picture numbering sequence in the 2 images is correct, i.e. you should look at Picture 1, 2, 3, 4 in Image 2, then Picture 5, 6 in Image 1, then Picture 7, 8 in Image 2, then Picture 9, 10 in Image 1. I have translated the whole article pertaining to Image 1 and Image 2 as follows (my comments are in italics):

Forehand Loop Drive against Downspin

Forehand loop drive against downspin is a common form of attack. It is also one of the most destructive forehand techniques. Since it is forehand power drive, you should deploy it with power. In addition, from actual game considerations, you should also suppress the arcing trajectory of the ball and make sure the ball carries enough spin and cleverly vary the placements of your shots. All this will greatly enhance the effectiveness of your attack. However, during forehand power drive, many table tennis enthusiasts will pay too much attention to power, thereby exaggerating their body movements, causing arm and body to be out of sync. The result is that the power generated does not “flow” and the consistency of the attack will suffer greatly.

In the process of forehand power drive, the control of the ball arcing trajectory and the varying of the placement of the shots should be of foremost importance. Only after you have achieved consistency can you try to increase the “substance” (i.e. power) of the loop drive. In addition, even though power drive is very deadly, you still need to pay attention to your posture recovery. You need to control the span of your movements, maintain the stability of your center of gravity and be able to quickly return to your ready position.

Footwork must be good. During back swing, first determine accurately where the ball will be hit before you increase your movements.

In this group of pictures, Ma Long was attacking a down spin ball with his forehand. In Picture 1, Ma Long was moving from the backhand corner towards the forehand corner. His center of gravity was very low, legs were bent and upper body leaning quite a bit forward. His whole body was very cohesive. While he was making a straddle step to the right (i.e. left foot stationary and right foot making big step to the right), he was also doing his backswing. Therein lie two important elements: (1) The straddle step must be accurate and move the body to the correct position relative to the ball and hence provide him with the best position to hit the ball; (2) before he gets into position with his straddle step, he should keep his backswing small. This will allow him to relax the upper part of his body. This will in addition allow him to better handle balls that barely get out of the table or balls that stay within the table. After all, we sometimes do make mistakes in judgment and balls do sometimes net or hit the edge of the table. If the backswing stroke is too big or the body movement is too much, it would be hard to make adjustments.

One common problem for amateur players is they tend to overplay the power play. They would have neglected the correct rhythm in hitting the ball. They also would have difficulty in controlling their power.

In Picture 4, after Ma Long has reached his position, he increased his arm swing. His body started to turn towards the back, with arm fully stretched. His right foot was firmly pushing the ground, giving the body the sensation of moving forward. This illustrates a key point of power loop: using the force generated by the body moving forward. Amateur players doing power loop usually know how to use the force generated by the turning of the waist of the body. They may even jump up in the process. The quality of their shots is high. However, their movement has one weakness: the incoming ball may have a short arc and may be weak or they may make a wrong judgment on where the ball lands. If this happens, they would not be able to use the power of the incoming ball. It would be hard to loop drive a ball with little incoming speed. This will greatly decrease their consistency and the quality of the shot. As a result, we must be firm on this: before we do forehand loop drive, we must stand slightly further away from the table. When we hit the ball, the body should move forward. This will provide a quality shot, at the same time allowing adjustment space and hence improve consistency.

At the moment of ball impact, increase the power forward, close the upper arm and control the ball arcing trajectory.

In theory, if you want to increase the power of the shot and increase the velocity of the ball, you must increase the force in the forward direction. Although many amateur players have a feel for this, they usually encounter some questions in practice: (1) Does more power mean more “impacting” (i.e. as opposed to brush-spinning the ball)? (2) Does power loop require wrist movement? (3) When you execute the power loop, how much do you need to close the forearm? For these questions, we can get some answers from Ma Long’s series of movements.

In Picture 5, Ma Long’s left foot started moving forward, body leaning forward, using the power generated by the body moving forward. We can see that Ma Long’s paddle angle is close but not by a lot. In Picture 6, Ma Long’s paddle angle stayed pretty much the same. It contacted the ball slightly lower than the upper middle part (I think that means slightly lower than 10:30 hour arm position). When you do forehand power loop, some brush-spinning is necessary. This is because the incoming ball has down spin and we need to overcome that. However, if you analyze the feel of a loop, impact (or hitting) should be more than brushing. This is because we need to increase the power and speed and increasing the impacting (or hitting) portion would produce better result. In addition, the amount of brushing depends on the spin and arc of the incoming ball. For incoming balls that are pushed over, the spin is usually not strong and we do not need to overly brush. When we power loop such balls, we need to hit the ball either at the highest point (after the bounce off the table) or just slightly before. If we brush the ball too much, the resulting arc will be too long and the ball will go out of the table. In Picture 5 and 6, Ma Long’s movement clearly demonstrates applying his power forward (instead of upward). This increased the power and speed of his return shot.

In Picture 4, we can see during Ma Long’s backswing, the wrist was bending outward. In Picture 7 and 8, Ma Long’s wrist was doing a slight inward hooking movement, which shows that he was using the wrist. When we are doing the power loop, because the impacting (or hitting) portion dominates, in order for us to produce more spin and better curvature in the ball trajectory (I think this refers to the loop drive ball’s signature dip before it lands), the wrist movement is a major key. When we move the wrist, the range of the movement should not be much. However, we need to make sure the movement is sudden. We need to release the explosive force of the wrist to increase the spin of the loop. The wrist is an augmenting force in the whole execution.

For Pictures 6-8, Ma Long’s forearm closing movement is obvious. The forearm closing is used to transmit the power of the body and control the length of the ball trajectory. When we close the forearm, we can divide the process into 2 steps – at the moment of contact with the ball, the forearm is just barely closed. We are using mainly the upper arm’s movement to apply the power. Immediately after contact, we greatly increase the forearm closure. This will decrease the forward power on the ball, at the same time suppressing the ball trajectory. This is an important point for looping close to the table.

Picture 9-10 shows Ma Long’s recovery process. His left foot was pushing the ground to prevent the body from leaning too much forward. At the same time, he relaxed his arm to recover. His whole body all this time retained a cohesive posture.

TT Player
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Superb series of technique photos. Ma Long's technique is always a delight to watch. Don't we all wish we could do it as well as him?

Dan
02-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Superb series of technique photos. Ma Long's technique is always a delight to watch. Don't we all wish we could do it as well as him?

Very true! :)

Thanks for joining the forum, hope you like how things are on here.. Nice username btw :)

Dan

Kimo
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey MrTralpht

Thanks for joining the forum

Ma Long's backhand

Image 6
Image 7
Image 8
Image 9
Image 10

I'm always surprised when I see his backhands. Sometimes I think his backspin push is faster than my forehand loop:p

UpSideDownCarl
02-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Ma Long's forehand, seems to me to be the best shakehand forehand to date. There are penhold players who have amazing forehands but nobody who plays shakehand even comes close to Ma Long's forehand right now. When Wang Liqin was at the top of his game, his forehand was close. But I think Ma Long has more power.

DaFaiGai
02-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks!

Ma Long is the best player :D. Too bad he's numba 4 now D:.

aljenym
02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I like the backhand... thanks dan problems solved

poltery
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
@ aljenym lolz

luko865
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Ma Long is just a briliant player i think he is better than timo boll:)

bFeee
02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
In 3-4 years he has replaced all others and is consistently the number 1 in the world ... but as I said 3-4 years it will take .. At the moment, all in top form and hard to beat

RIPPER
03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
What I find interesting is actually the amount of wrist Ma Long uses in the backhand pic it's curled right back, and I think normally players would begin like this but then end up using too much wrist at the end of the movement whereas if you look at Ma Long's next picture his arm and wrist becomes quite straight with the follow through, possibly to get right through the ball to increase the power and accuracy in the shot, because if the wrist is used to much in the follow through it may be harder to control placement. I've also seen a close up pic of Timo Boll's backhand loop and the amount of wrist used in his preparation is more than one would have thought, so a similar principle is applied here where a lot of wrist is used and then straightened out and hitting through the ball to get more spin and more speed. This amount of wrist would only normally be used for backspin balls received though as obviously less wrist is needed againss other types spin.

jyechen
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone else notice that he's been kinda... slow recently? I know he's just getting back from his injury... but I couldn't help but notice a lot of wrist bending he's doing in his shots to make sure they're going to the right place... He just isn't as on top of it as he was pre-injury. He used to be there... ready to take every shot with perfect form and that's what made his play so beautiful. I wonder if we'll ever see that again. D:

Not that his play right now is anything short of awesome. haha.

malong1
03-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Awesome photos and thanks for the translation!!! He's my favorite player too! :)

harrybelafonte
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Ma Long's forehand, seems to me to be the best shakehand forehand to date. There are penhold players who have amazing forehands but nobody who plays shakehand even comes close to Ma Long's forehand right now. When Wang Liqin was at the top of his game, his forehand was close. But I think Ma Long has more power.

what about waldner? inside out,hooked,fast,slow, no spin,etc etc

harrybelafonte
03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Ma long is great ,what is his injury not serious I hope

Dicember
03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
some translation would be nice :) . i can't read chinese ...

PandaMike
03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
When you watch him use is forehand topspin over and over again through a rally..its so consistent! I'm so jealous lol

John_Pish
03-17-2011, 02:36 AM
woah woah waaah?

cannon
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
great article and translation table tennis daily your great!

Bollforte94
03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFEzU3HjJko&feature=feedf here we can see ma long with 18 against werner schlager in his young years he played so different

scylla24
03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
what about waldner? inside out,hooked,fast,slow, no spin,etc etc

To be honest, Waldner's variation just isn't possible in today's game. The speed and more importantly the amount of spin in today's game makes it so that the margin of error is simply too small to do all the varied things that Waldner did to any consistent degree.

I don't know I would say if Ma Long's forehand is the best, simply because he pushes the speed so much and relies predominately on speed, that because humans can only react so fast, he sometimes causes himself to mess up or ends up giving himself too little reaction time, when someone just back his hit or adds just a little bit to the return shot. Its why his win percentage against Boll isn't as good as good as it should be. Boll is good enough with offense and is consistent enough to get it back often that Ma Long sometimes is caught not being able to adjust quick enough for the next shot.

Don't give me wrong though, most players aren't good enough to take advantage of this, and he has practiced enough, and is so quick that usually this isn't a weakness, and he is able to adjust quick enough.

markog99
04-03-2011, 03:01 PM
i wish i could read and understand Mandarine

mrv2002ptrz
05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
That's beautiful, Dan. But I can't read Chinese. Would you translate it, please? Thanks forward.

YosuaYosan
05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
To be honest, Waldner's variation just isn't possible in today's game. The speed and more importantly the amount of spin in today's game makes it so that the margin of error is simply too small to do all the varied things that Waldner did to any consistent degree.

I don't know I would say if Ma Long's forehand is the best, simply because he pushes the speed so much and relies predominately on speed, that because humans can only react so fast, he sometimes causes himself to mess up or ends up giving himself too little reaction time, when someone just back his hit or adds just a little bit to the return shot. Its why his win percentage against Boll isn't as good as good as it should be. Boll is good enough with offense and is consistent enough to get it back often that Ma Long sometimes is caught not being able to adjust quick enough for the next shot.

Don't give me wrong though, most players aren't good enough to take advantage of this, and he has practiced enough, and is so quick that usually this isn't a weakness, and he is able to adjust quick enough.

Is it because of the 40mm ball or the bat ? (about the Waldner thing )

Bollforte94
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the game is so much faster in average. But scylla will enlight us ;)

kaikaz
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
scylla24 can I ask what level you play? You seem to know alot about tabletennis.

YosuaYosan
05-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Scylla live seeing Wang Liqin play..
Thats enough to say that he is much an experienced player both in knowledge and application of TT ..

ttmonster
05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Only video I could lay hands on for Waldner v/s Ma Long .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPDgrQDjx0
I was amazed at the backhand punches Waldner did to a few of Ma Longs Forehand drives.
I guess its unfair to compare across generations. You can never tell what an icon of one generation ( in this case , waldner ) could have achieved if he was in in his prime in the current generation.
In my opinion if we are to compare we should compare within the generation of player because it is a fair comparison especially with a game like table tennis which is high on complexity of technique

Eduardo
08-06-2011, 02:05 AM
he' s really awesome!!!!

YosuaYosan
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
btw Waldner said in his interview that the new regulations allows less playing style to be effective, thus increasing robot-like players..
Sad to hear that :(

luko865
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Ma long i think has the best technique in the whole of the chinese national team

qidsign
09-04-2011, 03:37 PM
nice video of Ma Long vs Werner Schaleger :)
still in young age he already have that awesome forehand..
and he is using acoustic in that video, my one of favorite blade ^^

moriguchi2
09-05-2011, 01:39 AM
i notice becuz he has such fast arm speed he can finish his stroke so much forward

DaKrazedKyubizt
09-06-2011, 03:50 AM
It seems like everybody, including the article, failed to recognize one very important part of Ma Long's technique: his left arm.

If you take a close look, his left arm is always playing an important part in generating power, especially far from the table. He pulls his left arm in like a lawnmower, and, if you know your physics, this greatly increases the torque in his body, increasing power with little effort. Depending on the shot he wants to do, he'll adjust how quickly or how much he pulls his left arm into his body.

rahul
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
how about making a video and posting it on youtube for translating this in english?

Mr. RicharD
09-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Spin and speed are actually less than the 38 mm days. The difference today is that countering is harder with the heavier ball. The 38 mm was somewhere between 15 and 20 percent lighter than the 40 mm ball and in today's standards it's only gotten heavier. And who knows what it will be with the new pvc ball coming out after 2012.

I hate when people compare Waldner to today's game. He in his prime wouldn't be able to do what he did during the 38 mm ball era. Service, point system, technique, and tactics are all different from his era to ours. Not to mention that he evolved the game and the Chinese have taken what he did to the sport and evolved it again with Wang Liqin, Ma Lin in the Early 2000's, and Ma Long and Zhang Jike in the later 2000's.

Ma Long's forehand is quite fast, but it also has more spin than any non Chinese forehand. He's pushing the trinity not just the speed of the shot. Boll played so well against Ma that he could attack Ma's Backhand (where he would step around) and then block to the open forehand. It's why Ma started to work more on his Backhand to make it more consistent and more powerful.

Ma in his earlier years was too focused on using his forehand as much as possible rather than pay attention to his tactics. It's why he did so great last year, and why when he recovers from his injuries fully (which could be very soon from how's done lately) he'll climb back to number 1 again.

@ Carl - Wang Liqin to this day still has the strongest forehand. If you watch their matches Wang and Ma are very close in style in that Ma rarely drop shots someone who's lobbing and chooses to over power by slam as WLQ did. When WLQ can instigate his forehand he has a higher winning percentage of that point than anyone on the Chinese team. Because he's lost a lot of his speed in footwork they force errors to his backhand because he knows if he steps around they'll put it towards his forehand and he'll miss the counter. Ma is perhaps the only player that will let WLQ play a forehand to forehand rally, but wins typically only by shooting one down the line towards his backhand making WLQ hit a defensive lob or a poor counter.

@ DaKrazed - um the left hand is typically an aiming point of origin. It helps to show where the ball will likely go because it's approximately where the paddle will be at the point of impact. And the physics of it would only apply torque if he were actually able to grab onto something which in the case of TT is the table and illegal. Force is equally pushed and pulled upon two opposing objects so to apply torque Ma would need something else to touch in order for him to increase his torque. Just wanted to be clear there.

sugengz
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice post... I learn a lot from this thread.

psstuyy
11-01-2011, 08:11 AM
thank you so much for the ma long techniques. very informative.

scylla24
11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Spin and speed are actually less than the 38 mm days. The difference today is that countering is harder with the heavier ball. The 38 mm was somewhere between 15 and 20 percent lighter than the 40 mm ball and in today's standards it's only gotten heavier. And who knows what it will be with the new pvc ball coming out after 2012.

I hate when people compare Waldner to today's game. He in his prime wouldn't be able to do what he did during the 38 mm ball era. Service, point system, technique, and tactics are all different from his era to ours. Not to mention that he evolved the game and the Chinese have taken what he did to the sport and evolved it again with Wang Liqin, Ma Lin in the Early 2000's, and Ma Long and Zhang Jike in the later 2000's.

Ma Long's forehand is quite fast, but it also has more spin than any non Chinese forehand. He's pushing the trinity not just the speed of the shot. Boll played so well against Ma that he could attack Ma's Backhand (where he would step around) and then block to the open forehand. It's why Ma started to work more on his Backhand to make it more consistent and more powerful.

Ma in his earlier years was too focused on using his forehand as much as possible rather than pay attention to his tactics. It's why he did so great last year, and why when he recovers from his injuries fully (which could be very soon from how's done lately) he'll climb back to number 1 again.

@ Carl - Wang Liqin to this day still has the strongest forehand. If you watch their matches Wang and Ma are very close in style in that Ma rarely drop shots someone who's lobbing and chooses to over power by slam as WLQ did. When WLQ can instigate his forehand he has a higher winning percentage of that point than anyone on the Chinese team. Because he's lost a lot of his speed in footwork they force errors to his backhand because he knows if he steps around they'll put it towards his forehand and he'll miss the counter. Ma is perhaps the only player that will let WLQ play a forehand to forehand rally, but wins typically only by shooting one down the line towards his backhand making WLQ hit a defensive lob or a poor counter.

@ DaKrazed - um the left hand is typically an aiming point of origin. It helps to show where the ball will likely go because it's approximately where the paddle will be at the point of impact. And the physics of it would only apply torque if he were actually able to grab onto something which in the case of TT is the table and illegal. Force is equally pushed and pulled upon two opposing objects so to apply torque Ma would need something else to touch in order for him to increase his torque. Just wanted to be clear there.

I definitely agree that the speed was faster during the 38mm days. In terms of spin, I am not so sure. Spin and speed are mostly contradictory aspects of the table tennis game. And its not even about ball, I think the training of the Chinese team, and just in table tennis in general, the today's game produces much spinner loops.

As for your statement about Ma Lin, I am not sure I would completely agree. I don't think in his earlier years he was too focused on his forehand. That is his main strength, and the main strength in his very style is its need for speed, amazing quickness, and an amazing forehand. The reason why he has now has to concentrate on tactics is because his body no longer allows him to do the stuff that ideally his style of play would require. During the time when his body was up to par, the amount of spin and quickness in his game was at his highest, his three ball attack game was at a level that his game just doesn't approach today. I also think that his tactics even in his earlier days were quite good. It takes a lot of thinking and tactical skills to have a game that is able to master the serve, short game so well that it relies so heavily on the third ball attack. And I think its why Schlager in his interview still said Ma Lin was the Chinese player that impressed him the most. Back in his prime, pretty much all the coaches in China agreed that Ma Lin had probably the most spin of any Chinese player. His record within the Super League back then was something like 30+ wins to 2-3 loses. So I think I think Ma Lin when he was younger was focusing on exactly what he ought to have been focusing on. Its the same argument as to why I think Xu Xin's backhand is actually exactly what it ought to be. A lot of people say his backhand needs improvement, but in my opinion, its quick reaction rate and its relatively high degree of spin is exactly what he should have, because it sets up his main weapon which is his forehand. If he had a better backhand, he would use it more, and in turn might actually be worse off, because he wouldn't be using his amazing forehand.

darkky_65
12-08-2011, 06:47 AM
cool :) its fun to copy this then add a variation to it :)

rsaverian@yahoo.com
12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi everybody.

Ash
12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
An interesting comment that i read today:)

Zhang jike is the best men's player in the world today. Ma long is the best alien.

LOL

LegendenSBG
01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Ma Long´s technique seems so extremely powerful. Everytime i see him play live it seems his hits get faster and faster. Absolutely stunning

rdlau
01-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the picture, Please detail use video slow motion

Beartrendy
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Ma Long´s technique seems so extremely powerful. Everytime i see him play live it seems his hits get faster and faster. Absolutely stunning
I wish I saw him in action :D Looks amazing on videos. And the pictures.... How does he do it!!!?? Really makes a casual player feel little and insignificant :P

boghiu19
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
nice pics can anyone translate ?

yurybarquero
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
you can go here to download the translation
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1691-Ma-Long-Technique-in-a-Word-Document

Mysttable
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
His technic is uncredible!!!!

laurenz_marvin
03-10-2012, 09:27 AM
the illustrated picture is amazing! but I wish I could read Chinese.:cool:

GeMaCa
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Perfect!!! But I think it should be translated first...

ars
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
i like it ...ma long is the best...

judah000
04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Ma Long's technique is just FLAWLESS!!!!

Dan
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Ma Long's technique is just FLAWLESS!!!!

Yeah! Every shot he does is pretty much perfect. He is the best in almost every department, this is why he is number 1. His mental side of the game is also truely amazing!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

sandystevees
05-09-2012, 06:01 AM
It is awesome , but I think he has neutral grip. The one who has backhand oriented grip is Zhang Jike. That is why Ma Long is not as strong in his backhand as Zhang Jike. But again, his forehand is better than Zhang Jike. It is just my observation.

YosuaYosan
05-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Perfect!!! But I think it should be translated first...

you can go here to download the translation
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1691-Ma-Long-Technique-in-a-Word-Document

You can download the translated version there as stated by Yury.

skywalker
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM

I have edited the picture by joining all action together for better view, hope you guy like it.

CamiloG
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
He's a monster... His forehand is dynamite!!!

pai2
05-17-2012, 03:12 AM
nice.. detail pict , but I think is not enough to do the same.. :)

trevo1
05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Great :D.....

ttunreal
11-03-2012, 08:18 AM
He probably has the best playing form out of all the players around the world, his strokes are so consistent, and each technique such as footwork to his forehand to even his hand that he doesn't use during gameplay (which I believe he uses as a form of balance) is so consistent, almost to the point where he looks like a robot everytime he plays (obviously not a bad thing!) Cannot emphasize this enough haha :D

vishaloza
11-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Amazing post. Thanks for sharing. :)

prithwin
11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi All,
I found this series of videos by ma long like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epfipeenwk

i am looking to improve my back hand consistency and accuracy of my backhand which is like 1% now :(
i notice that ma long is playing with a ball which has markings like a small football. does that help? to see the ball better and develop a better more consistant stroke?

Malango
12-01-2012, 03:12 AM
great topic

sylvannus
05-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Marked and will see on computer back home. Recently I have found Ma Long made a series of videos in cooperation with DHS of generally all his techniques and experience in details with live modeling and explanation by himself, aimed to guide amateurs. Not only Ma Long, but I have also seen such tutorials by at least Wang LQ and Wang Hao (may be even more). Explained by world champains themselves, I think these vids can be valuable. You can find them on YouTube by searching using the player' Chinese names such as "马龙乒乓球教学". However, it is a shame that they are in Chinese and I have not yet found an English subtitle. I'm using mobile and will give you a link when back from work.

yurybarquero
05-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Marked and will see on computer back home. Recently I have found Ma Long made a series of videos in cooperation with DHS of generally all his techniques and experience in details with live modeling and explanation by himself, aimed to guide amateurs. Not only Ma Long, but I have also seen such tutorials by at least Wang LQ and Wang Hao (may be even more). Explained by world champains themselves, I think these vids can be valuable. You can find them on YouTube by searching using the player' Chinese names such as "马龙乒乓球教学". However, it is a shame that they are in Chinese and I have not yet found an English subtitle. I'm using mobile and will give you a link when back from work.
Check the main post I put it there as soon as it came out.

UpSideDownCarl
05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
...i notice that ma long is playing with a ball which has markings like a small football. does that help? to see the ball better and develop a better more consistant stroke?

No, that is a training ball for beginners to help them see the spin. They might be using it for the video to make the ball or the spin more visible. But, to get the backhand more consistent, practice, practice, practice. :) It helps to have a really steady hitting partner. Some people use a machine when their consistency is really not good enough yet, or multi-ball.

pavlik89
08-13-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsbOSIbtlo"

pavlik89
08-14-2013, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkm8F3BZfo"

pavlik89
08-28-2013, 06:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8X02oUi7I"

TTSquirtleNinja
09-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks for sharing :)