January World Rankings 2013

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Thanks so much to user Steven for this fantastic review of the January World Rankings!

Complete version, sorry for the delay. :)

The ITTF have released the latest World rankings! The rankings were published by the International Table Tennis Federation on Saturday 5th January 2013.

--- BREAKING NEWS!---

xuprofile.JPG

Xu Xin - Photo by: euroasia-ettu.com

China's Xu Xin takes the honorable title of being the new World no.1 Table Tennis Player! Xu Xin is the new world number 1 Table Tennis player! He thereby ended the 7 month streak of Zhang Jike being at the top of the world... For how long will Xu Xin keep his spot?
Xu Xin has earned this title by being crowned the World Tour Grand Finals champion last month in Hangzhou, China, where he beat Wang Hao in the final.

Meanwhile, Chinese Taipei's Chih-Yuan Chuang closes the gap with China's Ma Lin, both semifinalists at the same tournament. Chuang overtakes Germany's Dmitrij Ovtcharov who had been absent.
Also, China's Liu Shiwen once again posted a win over teammate Ding Ning. She is getting very close to retrieving her no.1 spot needing only 8 more points...
On the U21 field it was Germany's Patrick Franziska taking the prizes. In the final he beat Iran's Noshad Alamiyan, which made him jump over 25 places to the 47th spot.

NizFU.jpg
XKxwA.jpg

Fan Zhendong and Zhu Yuling, World Junior Champions - Photos by: sportstaronnet.com and ettu.org

Another big tournament that has passed is the World Juniors Championship or WJTTC, held in Hyderabad, India.
Winner Fan Zhendong makes a huge leap of nearly 100 places into the top 50 of the world, after remaining unbeaten in both the Singles and the Team event. This young talent has recently qualified just behind Xu Xin for the next round of the Chinese WTTC trials, so who knows we might even see him there! Also, Japan's Koki Niwa has turned 18, which makes Fan Zhendong the first player on the Boys' U18 ranking. Something similar happened for the Women's U18 ranking: China's Chen Meng leaves the ranking, making Junior World champion Zhu Yuling the new no.1.
Fan's teammates and also the women's team showed amazing leaps as well, as shown below.

Other interesting changes:

15 (19) Gao Ning
29 (35) Kim Min Seok
38 (48) Ruiwu Tan
50 (unr) Lin Gaoyuan
188 (234) Fan Shengpeng
210 (unr) Xu Chenhao

14 (18) Elizabeta Samara
39 (53) Matilda Ekholm
55 (70) Gu Yuting
57 (72) Szu-Yu Chen
60 (77) Gu Ruochen
69 (85) Petrissa Solja
96 (140) Lily Zhang

Men's World Rankings

01 (03) Xu Xin
02 (01) Zhang Jike
03 (02) Ma Long
04 (<<) Wang Hao
05 (<<) Timo Boll
06 (<<) Ma Lin
07 (08) Chuang Chih-Yuan
08 (07) Dmitrij Ovtcharov
09 (<<) Wang Liqin
10 (<<) Jun Mizutani
11 (12) Joo Se Hyuk
12 (11) Vladimir Samsonov
13 (<<) Hao Shuai
14 (<<) Jiang Tianyi
15 (19) Gao Ning
16 (15) Oh Sang Eun
17 (16) Chen Qi
18 (17) Adrian Crisan
19 (18) Michael Maze
20 (<<) Ryu Seung Min
21 (<<) Lee Jung Woo
22 (<<) Koki Niwa
23 (<<) Zhan Jian
24 (<<) Chen Weixing
25 (<<) Bastian Steger
26 (<<) Seiya Kishikawa
27 (<<) Marcos Freitas
28 (<<) Adrien Mattenet
29 (35) Kim Min Seok
30 (29) Alexander Shibaev
31 (30) Tang Peng
32 (33) Chan Kazuhiro

Take a look at the full World Rankings here.

Women's World Rankings

01 (<<) Ding Ning
02 (<<) Liu Shiwen
03 (<<) Li Xiaoxia
04 (<<) Guo Yan
05 (<<) Kim Kyung Ah
06 (<<) Feng Tianwei
07 (06) Ai Fukuhara
08 (<<) Shen Yanfei
09 (<<) Kasumi Ishikawa
10 (13) Chen Meng
11 (10) Wu Yang
12 (11) Guo Yue
13 (12) Feng Yalan
14 (18) Elizabeta Samara
15 (16) Viktoria Pavlovich
16 (14) Tie Yana

Take a look at the full World Rankings here.

So the speculations are true, what do you all think! :)

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
Wow Fan Zhendong is now top 50. He is only 16 years old :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty amazing! He was unrated before and entered the world ranking list at number 50. Nice start to the international ranking list :)

This user has no status.
Mark my words: Lily Zhang is the player to watch out for in the women's U18 and U21 rankings. I have long said that she has a more potential than Ariel Hsing, while Ariel has had a bit more focus. However, Lily's focus, short game, and tactics are coming closer and closer to those of world class players. I believe she could end up in the top 50 in the world if she continues at the rate she's at. She beat Bernadette Szocs convincingly at WJTTC. Watch out world!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I wonder if the Chinese National team players worry much about the ITTF world rankings? Has Xu Xin mentioned anything on his Weibo account?

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
Oct 2010
Interesting FACT: The World Number 1 Table Tennis Player in both Men's and Women's are left handed, Xu Xin and Ding Ning!

Reactions: Kurinto
This user has no status.
How old is Lily right now? I believe competing with Ariel they both increased their skills tremendously!
I believe Lily is 16 or just turned 17. And, as I'm sure you now, Lily just beat Ariel to become the 2012 US Women's National Champ. The same problem that caused Ariel to lose late in her match to Li Xiaoxia caused her to lose against Lily: weak forehand.