PDA

View Full Version : Your own table tennis habbits?

T!Christian
01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Everyone has them. Habbits!

Some love to hear some music before a match to get pumped up, others want to be alone. Why do we do that? We just get used to it and a certain routine in life seems good to have in a ever-changing world.

What are your habbits around the little celluloid ball?
Do you speak with your bat? Do you cut your rubbers with your own technique?
Or do you have a prefered type of play? What do you do with your left hand (respectively right hand) when you play? How important is clothing to you in a match? Does it make you more confident?

Let's discuss it here :)

As always i start:
My habbit is to write messages on my bat or/and rubbers before i glue them together :) it may sound silly but it did help me sometimes mentally to win a tight match

Here an example:3313

CANP
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
I like to listen some music ...... and i always want to be de first in front of the table!

XIII
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Biggest habit in table tennis: stomping

Matt Hetherington
01-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I twiddle by bat all the time, I started to notice I was doing it before I threw the ball up for every backhand serve. Please note that the rubber on my bat is inverted both sides so I don't actually flip my bat for any purpose it's just a random habit I have :P

dici
01-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Used to has a habbit on writing my name on every own ball so they dont mix up with other... beside that, probably stomping with left leg

Talk about the serve, long time ago, I have seen one player who will twiddle his paddle for few rounds when he toss up the ball for serving lol

T!Christian
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your contributions!
I also flip my bat like crazy, now that you mention it ;)

About music, what do you usually listen to?:)

Woldster
01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I dont know why, but just prior to receiving a service, I always tap my bat on the edge of the table. I don't know if this is to try and annoy my opponent or just an annoying habit. May be a bit OCD. I always wear my wristband on my left arm, never the right.

XIII
01-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh.. and I bounce the ball on the table always before I serve.

T!Christian
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Nice Woldster i used to do that too!
Just that i tapped on the floor not the table :)

T!Christian
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
More habbits? :)

YosuaYosan
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Putting pressure on the left hand palm --> Scientifically proven to prevent choking by activating the right brain side, releasing pressure from the 'overburdened' left brain side..

TripleC
01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I bounce the ball before serving, I constantly 'cho' every winning point, and I do what I want by enjoying.

T!Christian
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Very nice TripleC, like what i read! I think many players do that

Der_Echte
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
before a match, I make heavy use of X-Ray vision shades to view the inner sides of the shapely bystander women in the area to improve my attitude...

T!Christian
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
That sounds just like you William! If i am allowed to say it like that :D :D

T!Christian
02-19-2013, 11:04 PM
any more ideas? :P what else do you do before, after or in a match? :)

John_Pish
02-20-2013, 11:57 PM
I think losing is probably my biggest habbit ahah :p probably more on the side of choking, but resulting in a loss :p

SirSpinsalot
02-21-2013, 03:05 AM
This is more like a mannerism for me whenever I think or have an urge to play table tennis. I do a follow through stroke (for deception or hiding of spin just like in serving) with an imaginary racket when I am walking/standing. :D

integration
02-21-2013, 04:40 AM
choking when i'm up 7 points, dammit all the time!

Rainer87
02-21-2013, 06:53 AM

OMG man, that is really annoying. One antispin defender does that all the time and it drives me crazy. One time in a competition I asked him to stop doing that and just serve normally, he said he can’t because it is his ritual and he would know how to serve differently. Luckily I have managed to hold my nerves under control and still haven’t suffered a loss against him, but still, this is really annoying :).

Markvee
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
:) I also do what XIII does, I use the sound to "reset" my brain before the next point. If I'm receiving, I gently knock the table with my blade, for the same reason. I don't think my opponent hears that in a busy hall, though.

John_Pish
02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
This is more like a mannerism for me whenever I think or have an urge to play table tennis. I do a follow through stroke (for deception or hiding of spin just like in serving) with an imaginary racket when I am walking/standing. :D
me and my friend do that when we wanna play

choking when i'm up 7 points, dammit all the time!
ever lost when your up 9-1? i have :'(

I bounce the ball before serving, I constantly 'cho' every winning point, and I do what I want by enjoying.
ahahaha me and my bud scream that when we win a point x]

And i will alwaaays bounce the ball on my paddle before serving, several times. i dont feel ready if i dont

SirSpinsalot
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Hmm.. I think I do this too during matchplays (not sure how frequent or if I do it always :eek:).

WiWa
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Nice Woldster i used to do that too!
Just that i tapped on the floor not the table :)
Me too haha, for some reason it felt good. Now I don't do it anymore, not sure why... Probably because I'm too lazy to go through my knees that far :)

T!Christian
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
haha me too :D

Arne
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Before a match, I always fold my towel in a special way, and hang it on the right side of the table. Don't know why, but I do it :D

P1ngP0ng3r
02-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I just have 1 real (strange) habbit: when I put my blade away or just put it somewhere (even it's just for a minute), red side must always be on top (facing up)

PaulJ5
02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
before a match I go as far as I can from the table in my side of the court to have a full view of everything.. dunno the exact reason.. it just feels right. :)
and I say sorry most of the time.. and I mean almost every point.. if the ball touches the net and I got the point, the ball hit the edge, lucky shots, and also if I do an amazing superfast powerful shot that my opponent can't return that made the ball flying so far and also if I hit a ball but did not land in his side or went flying far also.. I say sorry.. too much sorry I think but it became a habit..
and I get nervous a lot of times in a tournament to the point that I can't see clearly the ball and my hand does a lot of involuntary movements.. suggestions anyone with this problem?!!

brenk
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Well bouncing the ball on the table before a serve... I can't imagine playing without that, when crucial point I bounc it maybe 6-7 times. I imagine it may be really anoying (like Djokovic of table tennis lol).

iNERDxi
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
well when i serve i stamp the hell out my feet (specially when its no spin) for some reason it makes the opponent afraid and anxious

BLUE
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I always bounce the on the ground if I have to wait for my opponent before serving. But what I nearly almost do is bouncing the ball on my blade. But not like little kids do it :D
I hold my blade at an angle and throw the ball very light against it. The angle helps generating spin while the ball rises. When falling down and touching the blade the ball bounces up again due to the spin. Now there is no more spin in it and the ball bounces back into my hand after hitting the bat.
I hope you know what I mean. It's kind of difficult to describe it with words :D

I can draw it if it wasn't clear...

John_Pish
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I always bounce the on the ground if I have to wait for my opponent before serving. But what I nearly almost do is bouncing the ball on my blade. But not like little kids do it :D
I hold my blade at an angle and throw the ball very light against it. The angle helps generating spin while the ball rises. When falling down and touching the blade the ball bounces up again due to the spin. Now there is no more spin in it and the ball bounces back into my hand after hitting the bat.
I hope you know what I mean. It's kind of difficult to describe it with words :D

I can draw it if it wasn't clear...

i know EXACTLY what your saying :P

T!Christian
03-06-2013, 12:01 PM
ME too :D
Kreanga does that very often!

MaXim
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
no habbits :D:D

Bishop Rasta 27
03-07-2013, 07:24 AM
me and my friend do that when we wanna play

ever lost when your up 9-1? i have :'(

ahahaha me and my bud scream that when we win a point x]

And i will alwaaays bounce the ball on my paddle before serving, several times. i dont feel ready if i dont

me too! i always bounce the ball on the table then on my paddle before serving....i also usually blow on my palm that holds the paddle before serving (to dry off sweat maybe, or to cool it down)...i do twiddle a lot also but not to shift rubber to hit the ball, i twiddle my paddle for no reason, anyways its a 360 degree revolution therefore it always go back to the original forehand and backhand rubber....