Doubles in professional leagues?

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Here in Finland we have doubles in all leagues including the highest and a team must win 4 matches to beat the other team. We play 3 singles first, then doubles and then max 3 more singles if necessary. But for example in Sweden there is no doubles in the highest league and there the team has to win 3 matches to beat the other team.
I think the doubles are always interesting in our matches. The doubles are very important if you want to get points in the league. I believe that the doubles are also entertaining for the audience, because doubles are quite different than singles.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiWa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
the double would requires a totally different serve and play style than single, which I believe why many league don't have double. However, if you have ever play double, you will find that it is not so easy when you had to work with another teammate to play the game. Two best players play together in a double does not necessary mean it is the best double partner.

And I was wonder why they remove this away from some major team tournament too...

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hey guys, yeh EditingSport that's true! I think doubles is always really exciting to play and to watch, its different and you need to think a lot and work with your partner :) I play in the national league A in Switzerland and we have doubles there, its always important for the match score as you need 6 points to win the match!

Doubles is great I think it should be included in more tournaments where possible and in National leagues, of course its not always possible I know, just wanted to see what others thought :)

I think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
In Luxembourg, we had doubles in the national league for ages. But two years ago it was changed so that there is only one decisive double by a match stand of 4-4 which will secure the fifth point to win.
All divisions under the first still play two doubles per game (4 players per team, everyone 2 singles and 1 double, so 10 matches). It is quite true that the best players are always the best double. I am playing the same teammate double with since 2009 and we even win against stronger opponents because we just know the whole playing stile of one another.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
As I'm not a professional player in Australia, I don't know too much about the competition format in my country, but from pbsmick's video (http://www.youtube.com/pbsmick) where he uploads table tennis matches from Australian TT events, there have been a few that have been doubles (I'll link one below) so yes, we do have doubles and comps and leagues as well in the local, regional, state and nationwide. However, singles does tend to be the predominant one in Australian Table Tennis.

Here is a double's match, uploaded by pbsmick, from the Australian Table Tennis Open 2012: