Renewal of equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Hi guys,

I haven't played for a long time and I am therefore a bit out of touch with the equipment.

I have a decent (at least for my level) bat but it's a bit old and I'd like to renew the rubbers.

I have:

Wood: Flytec Balsa Off (I don't want to renew it)
Forehand rubber: Yasaka Marc V xs (2 or 3 mm I'm not sure)
Backhand rubber: Butterfly Tackiness (2 or 3mm I'm not sure either).

I'd like to go for something equivalent, with maybe slightly more spin on the backend.

Could you guys give me advises on new rubbers? Preferably something available on teesport.com so I can order it online.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
If you like the Yasaka Marc V you should just buy a new one, it is old but gold (2mm or max) there is no 3mm rubber :)
On your backhand if you want to keep your butterfly you should try either Tenergy 05 (fast and spinny ruber!) or maybe try something different like an Andro Rasant, Donic Bluefire or maybe Xiom Europe!

hope that helps :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
It does help thanks :)

On teessport.com there are few versions for the Mark V (M2, HPS etc..). Do they differ a lot from each other? Which one would you advise?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
M2 has a harder sponge, about 3-4 degrees difference I think.

The HPS has a new and a little faster sponge, but it's quite expensive at 38£. À mon avis c'est trop trop cher, when you can get a modern rubber for 30€, like the Xiom Vega series TTChristian mentioned. Cheaper and more spin, which is what you wanted for your backhand too.
They're not catapult monsters, I remember moving from Mark V myself, to Baracuda in 2009 (similar rubber to Vega series) and it was not hard to adjust.

Vega Asia & Pro: 47.5 degree sponge Similar hardness to your current rubbers.
Vega Europe: 42.5

I buy them from tabletennis11.com. Ohh and they have a sale on Yasaka Rakza 7 now, at 28€. Also a modern rubber, similar hardness to M2, but faster.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Thanks for all those feedbacks! Catapult monsters are exactly what I want to avoid :)
The vega series seems interesting. I'm torn between going for the M2 (also on discount on your website) on forehand and vega pro on backhand, or going for two vegas.
I'm thinking that I might want to buy a new blade to keep a spare bat. Would you have any advice for a blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
You want another balsa blade? They have TSP Balsa fitter 6.5 and 5.5 on sale too, maybe TTChristian can give a review of that blade? :) There's also Tibhar Chila Off which has lots of positive reviews on tennis-de-table.com.

Also, if you're not sure how thick your current rubbers are, it would be a good idea to measure the sponge.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Yeah I might stick to a balsa blade.
I have measured my rubber and they are definitively thicker than 3mm. How thick is "MAX"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Ah, when we talk about thickness we only measure the sponge (blue in this picture) under the topsheet (black).
535153963_837.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Ok :) Good to know because;
if you want exactly like Mark V but a bit more speed and spin, you can get one in max thickness (I don't know if this is 2.2 or 2.3mm with Mark V)
if you want equivalent to what you have, now you know you can just buy 2.0mm

For Vega series, 2.0mm is probably a good choice since you want a spin upgrade from your current backhand rubber.

Last edited: