Interview: Jung Young Sik (KOR)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Hey all,

I'm creating a new page where I plan to post interviews of professional players from around the world, and report on TT news. I'm dedicated to making this an informative and interesting page, and first off will need to shamelessly ask that you can help get started here and on Facebook, where most interviews will be conducted!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Table-Tennis-Report/528096603901208

My first two interviews have been of Korea's top upcoming talents, Lee Sang Su and Jung Young Sik. Enjoy!

Jung Young Sik (KOR)

131438240_11n.jpg

Full name: Jung Young Sik

Date of Birth: 01/20/1992 (21)

Height: 180 cm (5' 11)

Team: Daewoo Securities (KDB)

Highest World Ranking: 34, now 68

At what age did you begin playing table tennis?

I began playing at 7 years old.

Who is your biggest influence?

My father has played the biggest impact on my career.

What equipment do you currently use?

Blade: Korbel
Forehand: Tenergy 05
Backhand: Tenergy 64

Have you ever sustained any injuries or setbacks?

No injuries.

Who is your table tennis idol?

Kong Linghui of China

What was your greatest moment in table tennis?

When I defeated Timo Boll at the 2012 Japan Open.

I've noticed you play with a lot of speed and hit the ball with a lot of power. You must do some weight training?

Yes, every day I do weight training for an hour.

What are your goals in table tennis?

A Gold medal at the Olympics in Brazil (2016), as well as the 2014 Asian Games.

With whom do you practice? Can you explain your practice schedule?

My coach is Kim Taek Soo. I practice with the KDB players such as Oh Sang Eun, and Yoon Jae Young.

My practice schedule goes from 9-12, then 3-6, and 7:40-8:40 PM.

Any interesting stories related to your TT experiences? (thanks to Der_Echte for the translation!)

TT is an interesting experience. I couldn't do other sports like football, baseball, basketball etc very well. So, when I was little, I studied well. My friends who could play TT well told me TT was a blast.

What specific player or style are you most afraid of?

I am not afraid of opponents. What I am afraid of is my confidence if I am out of practice for a match, then it gets scary for me. Even if the opponent is a very strong one, I think I can win.

Off-Topic
----------

Favorite music?

Dance music.

Favorite movie?

Pirates of the Caribbean

What do you like to do when not playing TT?

Meeting new friends, watching movies.

Hope you all enjoyed, please give me any suggestions as I'm new to this and have much to improve!

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am not very much rubbing elbows with the elite athletes, even if I had a few chances to do so.

I am sure that on a national level, tehre is very structured training, but it is certainly not 365 days a year.

Why? Koreans have their own pro league to play in. They also go to international tourneys.

Some play in foreign leagues, like RSM plays Bundesliga in Germany. On FB, I get to see when he travels and some pics. He is on the way to Russia right now.
Joo Se Hyuk plays China Super League.

So, it is not possible to do national training together all teh time with all that going on. There is also training for the Korean Pro league teams and international comps as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Send me any portions of the Korean interview you got problems with.

JYS day plays in maby local tourneys in my city, so I get to see him several times a year. He is agreat person and a lot of that is passed onto his son I would bet.

His dad ALWAYS has a smile on his face playing.

View attachment 3429

View attachment 3430
You make me wish to go Korea to live some day, they are like the non-natural disaster prone version of Japan.