Some equipment advise please

This user has no status.
So I am currently playing with a TSP Black Balsa 5 with Bluefire M3 max on my forehand and Kokutaku 868 Japan (soft sponge) 1.5mm on my backhand.

I have been using this setup for a little while now but something doesn't seem quite right. My game is based on a fairly aggressive forehand with a fast spinny loop. On the backhand side I tend to push a fair bit and try and use placement on my pushes to create opportunities to start attacking. I also like to play a wristy spinny loop on my backhand when the time is right.

I have noticed though that when I doing simple pushing on my backhand, the ball sometimes floats long unexpectedly. I have been wondering if the problem is the balsa blade and I am getting some inconsistent responses from the blade or whether the rubber is doing some strange things.

I have been considering trying a Yasaka Extra blade but I am worried about losing the control on passive blocks that I find the balsa gives me and the flat hitting which I am not very good at but find the balsa blades stiffness helps with. The other option is to change my backhand rubber and I was thinking about maybe a Bluefire M3 in 1.8mm or even just a Mark V 1.8mm. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for other non-tacky bh rubbers?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have noticed though that when I doing simple pushing on my backhand, the ball sometimes floats long unexpectedly. I have been wondering if the problem is the balsa blade and I am getting some inconsistent responses from the blade or whether the rubber is doing some strange things.

Doubt if it is your blade and rubber. You have been using it long enough to know it. Could be a number of things. Biggest thing many players mess up is being out of position. Many players do not move to the ball and take it off the bounce or shortly after on the rise. many players extend their arm fully then impact it, bad way to get inconsistant results. Next huge things players mess up is reading the spin. That can be tricky, especially if you are dealing with a crafty opponent who can vary the spin with his wrist pressure on bat, often giving you a no-spin or light underspin when you are expecting more underspin. Sometimes players do not make a folow through,which hurts consistancy. another thing players do is be too tight at impact, that hurts consistancy as well.

A video can reveal some of the flaws, but doesn't really show spin as you see it live. Maybe a vid can help us help you better, I doubt different equipment will solve your issues totally. Of course some equipment is better suited to do different things, but the bat you describe should be able to do most basic pushing on BH wing just fine after using it a while.

Try taking a small step forward to the ball and try to take it earlier with a looser wrist, using a lower crouch and go through the ball. (lower than standing)

This user has no status.

Doubt if it is your blade and rubber. You have been using it long enough to know it. Could be a number of things. Biggest thing many players mess up is being out of position. Many players do not move to the ball and take it off the bounce or shortly after on the rise. many players extend their arm fully then impact it, bad way to get inconsistant results. Next huge things players mess up is reading the spin. That can be tricky, especially if you are dealing with a crafty opponent who can vary the spin with his wrist pressure on bat, often giving you a no-spin or light underspin when you are expecting more underspin. Sometimes players do not make a folow through,which hurts consistancy. another thing players do is be too tight at impact, that hurts consistancy as well.

A video can reveal some of the flaws, but doesn't really show spin as you see it live. Maybe a vid can help us help you better, I doubt different equipment will solve your issues totally. Of course some equipment is better suited to do different things, but the bat you describe should be able to do most basic pushing on BH wing just fine after using it a while.

Try taking a small step forward to the ball and try to take it earlier with a looser wrist, using a lower crouch and go through the ball. (lower than standing)

Awesome advise thanks. I have spoken with a very experienced and good player at my club about this issue. He didn't seem to think it was a technique issue. But I will try and think about what you have said next time I play and see what happens.

For the record, I dont get this problem with my backup bat, but it is a very different thing so hard to know what is going on for me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Tennis Akademie

Tennis Akademie

excellent information keep up your good work thanks.