Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Who are the top 5 greatest table tennis players of all time? The video below is my selection. I made this video over a year ago, I think i may have to make some changes... but yeah who do you think is the best top 5 players ever to have lived and play table tennis?

draft_lens1575317module9259406photo_12090592171.jp  g

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
the vid is fantastic... thank u Dan

but if I have to choose, I'll put "Kong" right behind "Mozart" :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
jo waldner, Ma Lin, wang liqin... the others are just good players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
thanks for the video dan!! my top:

1.Waldner
2.Wang Liquin
3.Timo Boll
4.Ma Lin
5.Persson

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Yeah,I remember this video!Good job Dan!
My Top 5 in history:

1 Jan-Ove Waldner
2 Kong Linghui
3 Liu Guoliang
4 Wang Liqin
5 Ma Lin
Timo needs to win WTTC or the Olympics to get into this top 5(imho).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
For me:

1.Wang Liqin
2.Waldner, Kong Linghui, Liu Guoliang
5.Ma Lin

I don't get why people even put Timo Boll on the list. Seriously, I realize he is at the moment the only player who even has a chance to beat the Chinese players 20 percent of the time, but what has he accomplished? Yes, he has won some World Cups, but that's the least impressive of the three major titles. He hasn't even come close to winning the world championships or the Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
1. Waldner is my very first idol. 6 time world champ
2. Ma long
3. Liu guoliang
4. Ma Lin
5.Wang haoa

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We should define "all time". Does it go back to the Barna time, say 1930's? Since the game played today is very different from the "old days", I personally would only go back to the 1970's or even the 1960's at the very most.
FYI, when Waldner was asked the same question, I think he gave the following: Waldner himself, Kong Linghui, Guo Yuehua, Wang Liqin, and LGL as the top five.
My top 5 are (and I will not rank them): Zhuang Zedong, Guo Yuehua, Waldner, Wang Liqin, and Ma Lin.
:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Don't know who might be the other four... but I think that there must be always space for the man who taught us to smile even iin defeat... Andrzej Grubba... Rest In Peace friend...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
It is a tough call. It is definitely argueable as we have our own faves. Here are mine:
1) Wang Li Qin (during the golden years, of course).
2) J O Waldner: I admire how he carry himself as well as his accomplishments.
3) Ma Lin (Beijing Olympic Champion Edition)
4) Wang Hao for many titles he has won thus far.
5) Ma Long & Timo Boll as tie for 5th.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah,I remember this video!Good job Dan!
My Top 5 in history:

1 Jan-Ove Waldner
2 Kong Linghui
3 Liu Guoliang
4 Wang Liqin
5 Ma Lin
Timo needs to win WTTC or the Olympics to get into this top 5(imho).

I think this is accurate. How could Timo be listed as one of the top 5 players of all time when he has not even been ranked #1 aside from this month and a few months in 2003. He would have to win a lot of tournaments that all the best players were at. I think Zhang Yining can be listed as the best woman's player. That is pretty fair. But Timo? Really?

I would agree with this list as well except I might put Liqin 2nd or even tied for first. When a guy goes a whole year without dropping one match, that is pretty wild. And even though he did not get Olympic Gold, and probably will not, 3 world championships is no joke.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think this is accurate. How could Timo be listed as one of the top 5 players of all time when he has not even been ranked #1 aside from this month and a few months in 2003. He would have to win a lot of tournaments that all the best players were at. I think Zhang Yining can be listed as the best woman's player. That is pretty fair. But Timo? Really?

I would agree with this list as well except I might put Liqin 2nd or even tied for first. When a guy goes a whole year without dropping one match, that is pretty wild. And even though he did not get Olympic Gold, and probably will not, 3 world championships is no joke.

Pretty much the whole of youtube and this site don't agree with me about Timo Boll :)))

here are my reasons...

because he has been my biggest European inspiration since i was 10... he is very consistant and i belive he is the nicest top table tennis player on the table. Ive seen the guy smile when he has lost..

And, ok he hasn't got an Olympic gold or a world championships... but this day and era... no european is getting that title for a very long time... So I chose Boll for varies reasons not on and nopt soplely on his achievements.

Anyways

Boll for 2012... i believe he can do it!!

Only 2 Chinese can enter now... so a more chance for Boll.. And i can assure you, if Boll is not injured (please don't be) he wants that title more then anyone

Dan

This user has no status.
Pretty much the whole of youtube and this site don't agree with me about Timo Boll :)))

here are my reasons...

because he has been my biggest European inspiration since i was 10... he is very consistant and i belive he is the nicest top table tennis player on the table. Ive seen the guy smile when he has lost..

And, ok he hasn't got an Olympic gold or a world championships... but this day and era... no european is getting that title for a very long time... So I chose Boll for varies reasons not on and nopt soplely on his achievements.

Anyways

Boll for 2012... i believe he can do it!!

Only 2 Chinese can enter now... so a more chance for Boll.. And i can assure you, if Boll is not injured (please don't be) he wants that title more then anyone

Dan

totally agree at this point ...
Everyone wants Timo to win 2012