An assault in table tennis!!!

Should the alleged attacker be given a life time ban?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Disturbing news filtering through the TT community in England of an assault that allegedly took place at a recent Vetts tournament in Hereford, apparently as a result of 'a player' disliking the fact that 'a spectator' was coaching his opponent during the game?

During the fifth end of 2-2 in legs, the opponent was 5-3 up in sets. The player said that the spectator was coaching during the game to his opponent. In return, the player went to his bag and took his spare bat and repeatedly hit the bat over the head of the spectator until being physically dragged away.

Some of those that witnessed the attack are asking for the person involved to be given a lifetime ban.

I like to win as much as the next person, but this sounds like events went far too far.

If the accounts are true, I say that the ban sounds justified.

Anybody else heard about this? What do you think? vote above... and state for your reasons.

Are there any other sporting examples where this has happened before.

says Photino rocks xD
says Photino rocks xD
Nov 2010
Wow anger management for him. THats just crzy, no matter how much ur annoyed or losing, one must always keep the principles of good sportsmanship in mind. without those values the sport becomes less and less morally significant

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow anger management for him. THats just crzy, no matter how much ur annoyed or losing, one must always keep the principles of good sportsmanship in mind. without those values the sport becomes less and less morally significant

Very true...

Its a terrible incident, the attacker should of told the umpire or the referrer on duty

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
This is absolutely rediculous, to hit someone in the head with your bat is so dangerous. What makes it worse is that it wasn't a sudden reaction, he actually walked to his bag to grab his 2nd bat so he wouldn't damage his main bat, which means that he planned it out and thought what he would do for some time yet he still did it even with no 2nd thoughts. Quite suprising indeed. The amount of time banned would depend on how violent the event was and also possibly how much damage was done to the victim. I know from experience that a bat can do some damage, one time I was lobbing in a match and I went to whack the ball from some distance but I caught the barrier behind; my bat flew into the air and landed and hit a woman in the forehead chipping the bone in her skull (so so so sorry). So for a man to repeatedly hit another person in the head with a bat is criminal. If damage is severe than I believe a 10 year ban possibly more would be relatively fair.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
This is so sad i would ban him for 5 years oh he would feel it not being able to play tournaments.Its not that serious to do this at all let the umpire know let some words fly expressing how u feel but never put your hands on any human!!!!Period

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
People who do things like this aren't welcome in the game and certainly don't give it a good image.
in my own personal opinion people who commit these acts in any sport should be banned for life or for a very long term and should be made an example of, we need to send out a clear message that it is not acceptable behaviour and the consequences of a life time ban or at least a very long term ban is what will happen of you behave like this.
When people see the punishments given out hopefully this will make them think twice about ever trying a similar act.
Unfortunately in VETTS events they don't have our blue coat umpires but all of their events always have a National Referee and a competent deputy present so if anyone has a concern they can raise it with them rather than beating someone with their racket.
To be fair instances like this are extremely rare and i've never witnessed any serious attacks at any events i've been too, in fact most players are great, you can expect the odd few words here and there which is the same in any sport but it's all about staying focussed, professional and most importantly in control.
i'm quite sure the decisions made by the relevant societies will be the right ones and will satisfy the majority of people.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
People who do things like this aren't welcome in the game and certainly don't give it a good image.
in my own personal opinion people who commit these acts in any sport should be banned for life or for a very long term and should be made an example of, we need to send out a clear message that it is not acceptable behaviour and the consequences of a life time ban or at least a very long term ban is what will happen of you behave like this.
When people see the punishments given out hopefully this will make them think twice about ever trying a similar act.
Unfortunately in VETTS events they don't have our blue coat umpires but all of their events always have a National Referee and a competent deputy present so if anyone has a concern they can raise it with them rather than beating someone with their racket.
To be fair instances like this are extremely rare and i've never witnessed any serious attacks at any events i've been too, in fact most players are great, you can expect the odd few words here and there which is the same in any sport but it's all about staying focussed, professional and most importantly in control.
i'm quite sure the decisions made by the relevant societies will be the right ones and will satisfy the majority of people.

Thanks Dave for the post.

Yeah i agree with what your saying, who will deal with this... the police or the ETTA or umpires on duty that day?

Also, was there video evidence of the event...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
to be honest the umpires won't be involved because there won't have been any there, plus video evidence is unlikely at a vetts event.
the incident was at a Veteran English Table Tennis Society event so in the first instance they would deal with it i would assume.
regarding the police i would have thought that would be up to the guy who was attacked if he wanted to press charges etc.
i know the etta have a disciplinary committee who would deal with something like this but not sure if the vetts society do or not, even if they didn't their management committee i'm sure would find a solution and have it dealt with. also unsure of how it stands regarding etta events as this did happen at a vetts event, so does the main governing body get invlolved ? who knows :)
when things like this happen all a referee can do is disqualify a person from the tournament then pass on their report for the tournament and include any info they have including witness statements etc to the relevant governing body committees, after that it's pretty much out of their hands as a proper committee will investigate and make decisions.
when things like this happen i do know committees don't hang about, they meet and sort out as a priority.
i'm confident they'll make the right decisions :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
lifetime ban?! guys you're crazy! i really really hate that kind of spectators shouting during the games and trying to disturb a playaer in favour of his opponent! ban for him not to visit tournamets to the end of his days:mad:

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
some 4-5 yrs ban will do... Lifetime ban is life destroying decision.. n he should be enrolled for Anger management classes :d :p !!

Actually yea I think you're right, I change my response maybe a life time ban is a bit harsh I agree with the above, 4-5 years is long enough for him to learn from his mistakes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I couldn't imagine getting so angry in table tennis to actually assault a guy.... I mean I get annoyed when I lose, but there should be a level of control there geez.

Just watching how badly some athletes react, like when zidane headbutted the guy, makes you wonder, god, these guys much have so much testosterone, and must frankly have everyday life issues, as a result of a lack of normal emotional development because they have spent all their time devoted to sports.

I don't know if the guy who did the assault was a professional athlete or not, but if he gets that ruled up, I assume he is.... in which case, a 4-5 year ban probably almost has the same effect as a lifetime ban. If you have devoted your life to table tennis, and now you can play, ie can't work for the next 4-5 years, its probably not going to be easy for you to make a good living. And by the time the ban is over, he probably will be past his prime, bitter, etc, such that he won't get anywhere afterward anyway