Best Rubber for Backhand Flicking? Will Short Pips make Flicking easier?

This user has no status.
HI guys
this is my 1st post
i need some advice
my current EQ:
BLade: Sanwei HC 5
FH: BTF Bryce Speed
BH: Sanwei Gears

i usually flick opponents serve around 7/10 times
im looking for a rubber that can help improve my chances of flicking serves

and a friend of mine is asking that is it easier to flick with SPs?

thx guys
cheers :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't really know. I do know that the guys who are best at over the table backhand loops off the serve are using smooth rubber and they are spinning the ball which is what makes the attack so effective and so safe. Because the backhand stroke can be so compact and can be entirely from the elbow down, that motion can be easily done over the table and you can still get the leverage and acceleration to spin the ball over the net and onto the table.

I think, most of the time, with short pips, they are effective because they are not as affected by incoming spin. The downside to that is that they do not generate their own spin as effectively. So a lot of what you do with short pips is hit the ball instead of spinning it. That can be effective to a point. But a loop has the advantage that the spin brings the ball onto the table. A loop effectively makes the window of success much bigger. A hit can be effective to a certain extent but the risk is that with less spin, it is ultimately a lower percentage shot than if you learn the technique for looping over the table well.

All that being said, an over the table backhand loop takes some technique, especially the footwork side of it. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have a much better BH flick than FH flick and I use one of the cheapest rubbers on the planet - Dawei XP 2008 Super Power. It doesn't over-react to incoming spin, has nice control, and if teh impact speed is there, it spins really nice.

That is why i settled on that $6 rubber for my BH. The CONTROL. I have the impact speed, I need a control rubber on BH.

There are a few different camps on BH flicking.

Some camps want you to hit through the ball at its height. A rubber insensitive to spin and with some speed helps this. Calibra LT is a rubber that comes to mind for this and my BH flicks using that technique fit teh bill. They still have spin. it is like you are doing a fast loop with a super compact stroke. Your forward step generates a lot of the power that flows through body and arm to finish with the wrist. It makes a very fast and spinny shot. Personally, I cannot consistantly attack serves in this manner, your timing to meet the ball must be right on, you have to see it coming early, you have to have a lot of confidence, and you have to train this a lot. That is a lot of moving pieces that will simply not work fro anyone who hesitates at all.

Another camp goes for reduced spin and pacement or if high enough, a flat flick. Call it the flat flick camp.Not a lot of them around, but an occasional flat flick is a great change of pace shot sometimes. You can do it with any rubber adjust ing the impact and the wrist pressure.

We all know about the banana flick camp. You can do it with any rubber, but if you like it slow, tacky doesn't hurt. Personally, I feel a rubber that doesn't over-react to incoming spin, has control, and facilitates production of spin is a good choice. Lots of rubbers out there can do that, throw a dart at the list and go for it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Banana flick is pretty much a safe return and what I do half teh time BH flicking. Sometimes, you are not confident to really go for the shot, but have confidence in a BH sideswipe to keep the ball on the table and look for another opportunity on the next ball. if your placement was effective enough, you might get your wish. So many rubbers are suited for that stroke.

Also consider the other things you do on BH and make your own balance of what rubber will do what you want for not just your BH flick, but your whole game.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Aging is a killer
One the best is Tenergy T25FX. The FX version has that more control. T25 is not as good away from the table as T05/64. You'll have to modify your technique for that 'distance' control.
Also very effective and cheaper is Donic Bluefire M2 or its equivalent in other brands. Combined with MMaze/ALC/etc, it is good for spin flicking, ie where the ball comes in low and floaty so that you'll need to put more spin on the flick.
Using the cheaper type Chinese stuff as described above, is OK but requires more effort and better timing than using the more modern stuff.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
HI guys
this is my 1st post
i need some advice
my current EQ:
BLade: Sanwei HC 5
FH: BTF Bryce Speed
BH: Sanwei Gears

i usually flick opponents serve around 7/10 times
im looking for a rubber that can help improve my chances of flicking serves

and a friend of mine is asking that is it easier to flick with SPs?

thx guys
cheers :)

Hi :)

Personally, I would suggest Andro rasant grip(yes, I have been using it for quite a while). To my furthest concern, it is the best alternative for tenergy series when it comes to control, spin and price. It's throw angle is pretty high so I had to lower the angle of my stroke and I think this makes it evident that it clearly provides great safety over the net. If you are an active wrist flicker like I am and some people out there, then I would confidently recommend you this one:) Plus, spin on it is indeed tremendous my friend was using T05 by then and I was able to produce more spin than him. I think it is pretty much all about one's capability of producing spin. Plus, it is more forgiving than tenergy, referring to my personal experience; the speed is bit slower and more dwell time I think. A sheet lasted me about 2 years(with active cleaning of the surface after every session!)