says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily had the fantastic opportunity to review Stiga's latest Stiga Tour rubber that they will release in May 2013! I have made a review below looking at various techniques with the rubbers. We only had 3 hours to shoot so I had to be as quick as possible going through each shot. I tried and tested all three rubbers.

Stay tuned for many more reviews to come!

Extra Footage!

More footage of the rubbers being tested by Tom Maynard and Jekwon Choi of the Bristol Table Tennis Academy!

CALIBRA TOUR H

Speed 149 Control 80 Spin 127 Sponge Hard Thickness 1,7 / 1,9 / 2,1 mm

1701-0305-XX-CALIBRA-TOUR-H.jpg

Calibra Tour H has a hard sponge. Equipped with the brand new APS-technology, it provides very high speed and the fantastic possibility to shape your shots with the increased spin features. The APS technology (Advanced Pimple Structure) with straight shaped pimples makes the rubber adapt to the ball like never before and provides an explosive and spinny rubber that is reliable in every situation. Calibra Tour H is suitable for players with strong hitting power who need a rubber with built-in speed glue effect that is reliable in all situations.

CALIBRA TOUR M

Speed 148 Control 80 Spin 127 Sponge Medium Thickness 1,7 / 1,9 / 2,1 mm

1701-0205-XX-CALIBRA-TOUR-M.jpg

Calibra Tour M has a medium-hard sponge. Equipped with the brand new APS-technology, it provides very high speed and the fantastic possibility to shape your shots with the increased spin features. The APS technology (Advanced Pimple Structure) with straight shaped pimples makes the rubber adapt to the ball like never before and provides an explosive and spinny rubber that is reliable in every situation. Calibra Tour M is suitable for players with medium strong hitting power who need a rubber that helps generate a bit more speed with the lovely feeling of built-in speed glue effect.

CALIBRA TOUR S

Speed 140 Control 86 Spin 127 Sponge Soft Thickness 1,7 / 1,9 / 2,1 mm

1701-0105-XX-CALIBRA-TOUR-S.jpg

Calibra Tour S has a soft sponge. Equipped with the brand new APS-technology, it provides very high speed and the fantastic possibility to shape your shots with the increased spin features. The APS technology (Advanced Pimple Structure) with straight shaped pimples makes the rubber adapt to the ball like never before and provides an explosive and spinny rubber that is reliable in every situation. Calibra Tour S is suitable for players with lower hitting power who need a rubber that helps generate extra speed with the exceptionally lovely sound of built-in speed glue effect.

We hope you enjoyed the review :) Will you try out Stiga's rubber?

Comment below :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This is not a review, this is an advertisement.

A review is in fact always an advertisement, because it gives viewers more information about the product ;) And I wouldn't expect Stiga to launch rubbers that are worse than their existing rubber families. So since the Calibra ST was already pretty good, it is no suprise that the review about this new family of rubbers is positive :)

says Aging is a killer
Veteran EJ-type player viewpoint here.
I thought the hard was the fastest rubber post SG-era that I have ever experienced. That thing was a rocket. Consequently grip was not that great for the slow loop stuff.
In my opinion:
1 It's not for loopers.
2 It's for Hitters or drive loopers.
3 Kreanga would love this.
4 Female attackers will also find it great for their hitting and pushing game.
Conclusion, throw away your short pips attacking stuff. Use the Calibra Tour hard instead. IMO of course.

My other conclusion is that no matter what ALC, ZLC, rosewood, and other blade that you use, the Stiga Classic Offensive CR is still the one to beat. It's a fantastic blade whether you loop, hit, push or even chop. Very few blades have it all. But the Offensive CR does and is still the standard to judge any other offensive blade.

This user has no status.
Hey Dan, Everyone likes to hear the comparison between any rubber and Tenergy. You could add it. I actually don´t mind but maybe you could give a feedback such as if you are using a hurricane 3, stiga tour... will fit your game... or if you are beginner who is moving up using either Mark V or Sriver, stiga tour... will help you countinue to improve your game...

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Dan, Everyone likes to hear the comparison between any rubber and Tenergy. You could add it. I actually don´t mind but maybe you could give a feedback such as if you are using a hurricane 3, stiga tour... will fit your game... or if you are beginner who is moving up using either Mark V or Sriver, stiga tour... will help you countinue to improve your game...

Totally understand. I will add this soon :) Personally I would say they are similar to the Calibre LT however they definately have more speed and control.

Ill add an indepth detailed comparison shortly :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Fair point, I feel like I reviewed them..

I am reading the forum on tapatalk and the video did not show so I was referring to the text. Anyway the video is decent. Your club should invest in a new floor though! Still this could hardly be called an unbiased and independent review with all the obvious product placement. And as pointed out on the ooak forum the rubbers have not been approved yet so marketing of any kind is not allowed yet.

Last edited:

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
I am reading the forum on tapatalk and the video did not show so I was referring to the text. Anyway the video is decent. Your club should invest in a new floor though! Still this could hardly be called an unbiased and independent review with all the obvious product placement. And as pointed out on the ooak forum the rubbers have not been approved yet so marketing of any kind is not allowed yet.

Your obviously just trying to provoke an argument. There was a lot of Stiga equipment being used during this video as they are reviewing Stiga equipment. As Dan said there will be a more detailed review coming where he compares it to other rubbers until then please go back to your advertising law book, run a bath and relax safe in the knowledge that no one cares about your opinions on this matter thank you :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Your obviously just trying to provoke an argument. There was a lot of Stiga equipment being used during this video as they are reviewing Stiga equipment. As Dan said there will be a more detailed review coming where he compares it to other rubbers until then please go back to your advertising law book, run a bath and relax safe in the knowledge that no one cares about your opinions on this matter thank you :)

Well isn't this a friendly place! As I noticed before this forum does not seem to be a place for discussion but a place for people who don't want to think for themselves but just follow a general opinion.

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
Well isn't this a friendly place! As I noticed before this forum does not seem to be a place for discussion but a place for people who don't want to think for themselves but just follow a general opinion.

Considering all you have done so far is try to annoy the moderator and offended the entire forum do you really think people will want to be friendly to you? Just a thought :)

Reactions: Scorpnox
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews

Seriously 'Elvis' - just keep your opinions to yourself - whoever you are. Dan has already been gracious and mature and responded well to your initial (silly criticism) yet you persist with your silly views. This is a site for grown ups.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

I understand, the product placement is in place so viewers know which rubbers I tested. I just tested the rubbers to see how they performed. They are still in the testing phase of development.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
Well, I have to back up Elvis in this one. I'm an OOAK member and once and a while I make the crossover to this forum. I mostly don't post here, but for once I want to make an exception, because Elvis is treated unfairly here. Although I have deep respect for Dan and what he has done with this forum, the vid appears to me like an advertisement. For one the only thing I see in the video is Stiga, Stiga, Stiga,... Two, it doesn't mention anything negative about the new rubber. Third, Elvis is right that advertisement about this rubber is not allowed yet.

Yes, I also want to add that I read Dan's comments that an indepth review is coming. But let me ask the forum members this: if he starts comparing it with Tenergy and he comes to the conclusion that it's way better than Tenergy, will you believe him? If he starts telling you that the rubber doesn't perform like when he made the video and it is nothing compared to Tenergy, will you believe him? By making the video and being affiliated with Stiga in one or the other way (or making the impression that he is) Dan makes it himself impossible to deliver a neutral review, now and in the future, be it about a Stiga rubber or a rubber of another brand. IMO he lost total credibility as a reviewer and if you're a bit critical about such things, you'd agree. I'm not saying here Dan has become a Stiga boy, only that someone who doesn't know him can't know if he is or he isn't.

Reactions: GreatDane

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
Well, I have to back up Elvis in this one. I'm an OOAK member and once and a while I make the crossover to this forum. I mostly don't post here, but for once I want to make an exception, because Elvis is treated unfairly here. Although I have deep respect for Dan and what he has done with this forum, the vid appears to me like an advertisement. For one the only thing I see in the video is Stiga, Stiga, Stiga,... Two, it doesn't mention anything negative about the new rubber. Third, Elvis is right that advertisement about this rubber is not allowed yet.

Yes, I also want to add that I read Dan's comments that an indepth review is coming. But let me ask the forum members this: if he starts comparing it with Tenergy and he comes to the conclusion that it's way better than Tenergy, will you believe him? If he starts telling you that the rubber doesn't perform like when he made the video and it is nothing compared to Tenergy, will you believe him? By making the video and being affiliated with Stiga in one or the other way (or making the impression that he is) Dan makes it himself impossible to deliver a neutral review, now and in the future, be it about a Stiga rubber or a rubber of another brand. IMO he lost total credibility as a reviewer and if you're a bit critical about such things, you'd agree. I'm not saying here Dan has become a Stiga boy, only that someone who doesn't know him can't know if he is or he isn't.

I understand your point about there being a lot of Stiga in this video but that's because he's reviewing stiga equipment, at the end of the day "Elvis" is blatantly trying to cause an argument so I put him in his place as I felt it was deserved especialy when he said that the people on this forum "don't want to speak for themselves" which I'm sure you would agree was out of order. Dan is testing out three rubbers that haven't been released yet and at no point does he say BUY THESE RUBBERS which would be considered advertising. What he has done is compared them against each other and said which rubbers suit styles of play compared to each other. I also completely disagree with you saying that this isn't a neutral review as he has not said it is better or worse then any other rubber. How much more neutral can you get? He has not said in anything about them being better then tenergy and he wouldn't in the future unless he truly believes it. I can see there maybe some resentment creeping in from OOAK forum members who feel that ttdaily is also becoming a very good forum. This I don't understand as I like both forums and both have their own identity. Yes I prefer using ttdaily as I have liked watching it evolve from its humble beginnings to the present. I'm sure you'd agree it is now pretty epic :)

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Whew! There are some harsh criticisms on this thread that I wasn't expecting.

Let me introduce myself. I am Mark Kinlocke and I've been playing TT on and off for the past 50yrs or so. I am an active umpire, a qualified TT coach and an enthusiastic EJ.
I also like photography and I did the camera work behind the video. Videography is new to me but I am learning.
When Dan told me that he had these rubbers to review, it was me who suggested that we do a video rather than the usual write up. I also strongly advised him as to what to say, what to wear and the filming took place at my club, the Bristol Civil Service TTC. It was me who made sure that we played on a Stiga table. I even went so far as to cover the Butterfly logo on the net stand. The idea was that this was a review of Stiga equipment and there should not be the distraction of having other brands in clear view. When we do Butterfly and other brands, we’ll do the same for them. Dan did the editing as he's brilliant at it.
So most of the criticisms should be levelled at me, not Dan.

The direction in the video was deliberate as I believe that it takes at least 3-4 months of constant usage to get to know any equipment properly. For a fairly short, non-scientific review like this, I believe that it is better to show and demonstrate the characteristics and leave viewers to make up their own mind.
Dan will be doing other reviews with equipment from the other brands. I also have a few ideas about looking at presenting some of the technique issues raised in other threads using videos to give a fresh view of stuff.
Yes please, critique all you want with the bad and good. It will all serve to us making improved videos in the future.
BTW, I did not tell Dan that I was going to write this.

Last edited:
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
I can see there maybe some resentment creeping in from OOAK forum members who feel that ttdaily is also becoming a very good forum.
That seems very unfair and totally unfounded. I have a great deal of respect for both these members, and to imply that their opinions are based on resentment of ttdaily becoming more popular and a threat to OOAK is quite disrespectful to them, and I'm sure totally unfounded.
Sorry to get this thread off track Dan, but I felt this had to be said.

Last edited:
Reactions: yurybarquero