Wang Hao & Ma Lin sign for Russian clubs!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
As the newly proclaimed head coach of the Chinese National Team, Liu Guoliang has more responsibilities than ever before. In his recent interview, Liu Guoliang has talked about his efforts in promoting table tennis not just to the world but also in their very own country. For him, athletes having to play for another country is one of the best ways to promote table tennis and at the same time, it increases the intensity in international competitions. In line with this, Liu Guoliang has revealed Wang Hao and Ma Lin to have signed for Russian Clubs.

wanghaorussia2013.jpg

Wang Hao - Photo by: Xinhua/Shen Bohan

Article doesn't say which Russian clubs they'll play for but it will certainly make the Russian league more interesting than it is now..

Source: TableTennisTa

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Will that mean that their role on the Chinese National team will be more about playing in a league in Russia than it will be about playing in major tournaments and World Tour events? Is that China trying to figure out how to enable them to continue playing and still move them out of the way so the younger generations can emerge? Interesting news no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Will that mean that their role on the Chinese National team will be more about playing in a league in Russia than it will be about playing in major tournaments and World Tour events? Is that China trying to figure out how to enable them to continue playing and still move them out of the way so the younger generations can emerge? Interesting news no matter how you look at it.

Agreed, looks like Liu Guoliang will focus on the younger generation next season. This will be interesting, Wang Hao in the Russian League! Epic!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I think Wang Hao could play for UMMC, too! Liu Guoliang says Wang Hao will participate in the European Champions League, but Ma Lin won't. Maybe because they´ll be in the same team...

maybe wang hao signed for Orenburg, they are still in the ECL.
whereas Ma Lin plays for UMMC, who are in the ETTU Cup.
then again, i could be wrong :p

Administrator
Oct 2010
These sort of transactions could really move the sport in a great direction I believe!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
maybe wang hao signed for Orenburg, they are still in the ECL.
whereas Ma Lin plays for UMMC, who are in the ETTU Cup.
then again, i could be wrong :p

I was talking about the next Champions League (2013-2014)... I don't think Wang Hao will play this season's ECL but if he does, it's sure he'll be in Orenburg!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I was talking about the next Champions League (2013-2014)... I don't think Wang Hao will play this season's ECL but if he does, it's sure he'll be in Orenburg!

ahhh ok...
well i think either they will be in the same club, and ma lin just wont play ecl, or ma lin will be UMMC and Wan will play for Orenburg..i dont know why they would play for any other russian clubs lol :p too low a level of practice partners s in the other clubs is what im thinking of...:p

This user has no status.
As all of you might probably be aware, Ma Lin has arrived to the Russian city of Yekaterinburg to join the UMMC table tennis club. I've been tracking this awesome event via the club's official website - www.kntummc.ru (not sure if the English version is available). I have also sourced a very interesting video from the rather renowned Russian table tennis YouTube channel fed by Alexey Lomayev. Below you'll find the video of Ma Lin arriving to Yekaterinburg and of his consequent activities there. Although the video is in Russian (and, however, partly in Chinese) I believe one can easily grasp the overall sense and emotion behind the dialogues. An amazing thing was when Zoran Primorac and Hou Yingchao bet on whom will win the friendly game between Ma Lin and Yaroslav Zhmudenko, a Ukrainian player at UMMC. Guess who has won that game? Ma Lin imposed a disadvantage of 3 or 4 points on himself in that game. Another interesting thing was that one of the first Russian players who Ma Lin has seen in the training hall was Alexey Liventsov, a Ma Lin's nightmare at Harmony China Open 2011. Alexey Liventsov represents a Moscow based table tennis team "Victoria".

I hope you enjoy the video!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Ma Lin will take part in the 3rd stage of the Russian Club Table Tennis Premier League Championship on 28-31 March. Among his opponents will be Fakel Gazprom represented by Dmitrij Ovtcharov, Vladimir Samsonov and Alexey Smirnov.

Reactions: mefisto81 and WiWa

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
As all of you might probably be aware, Ma Lin has arrived to the Russian city of Yekaterinburg to join the UMMC table tennis club. I've been tracking this awesome event via the club's official website - www.kntummc.ru (not sure if the English version is available). I have also sourced a very interesting video from the rather renowned Russian table tennis YouTube channel fed by Alexey Lomayev. Below you'll find the video of Ma Lin arriving to Yekaterinburg and of his consequent activities there. Although the video is in Russian (and, however, partly in Chinese) I believe one can easily grasp the overall sense and emotion behind the dialogues. An amazing thing was when Zoran Primorac and Hou Yingchao bet on whom will win the friendly game between Ma Lin and Yaroslav Zhmudenko, a Ukrainian player at UMMC. Guess who has won that game? Ma Lin imposed a disadvantage of 3 or 4 points on himself in that game. Another interesting thing was that one of the first Russian players who Ma Lin has seen in the training hall was Alexey Liventsov, a Ma Lin's nightmare at Harmony China Open 2011. Alexey Liventsov represents a Moscow based table tennis team "Victoria".

I hope you enjoy the video!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Ma Lin will take part in the 3rd stage of the Russian Club Table Tennis Premier League Championship on 28-31 March. Among his opponents will be Fakel Gazprom represented by Dmitrij Ovtcharov, Vladimir Samsonov and Alexey Smirnov.

Thanks for this impressive info! So this is why Wang Hao replaced Ma Lin at this weeks World Team Classic.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
Thanks for this impressive info! So this is why Wang Hao replaced Ma Lin at this weeks World Team Classic.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

You're welcome! I'll keep an eye on that event and hope to be posting more news once they're cooked by Ma Lin and Co. As for the Ma's replacement by Wang Hao this week, you're obviously right.

I am basically a fan of the UMMC table tennis club and it was too tempting for me to post here the news about the club and Ma Lin knowing that not many Russian TT news sources are generally available for non-Russian speakers. Hope this disavantage will be improved as more and more eyes are on the Russian TT clubs.

Reactions: Dan