Blade for Tenergy 80 ??

ACM

This user has no status.

ACM

This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Hey guys,

I have recently treated myself with a couple of new rubbers ( Tenergy 80 ) but not sure of what to do about blades...
The big question is: " Is my old A. Mazunov-AN OFF+ a good fit for the new rubbers???
I'm very keen on a few in particular, BOLL SPIRIT OFF, MICHAEL MAZE OFF, and if you could advice on both Butterfly Finewood OFF & OFF- as well it would be great.. Please help.

Cheers

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Mazunov blade! That was the first blade I fell in love with. For an all wood blade, that is a pretty fast blade. I had a flare and an anatomical when I first started playing. I loved the Mazunov I had with the anatomical handle. When I started playing again after 20 years of not playing, my first several blades had anatomic handles.

Anyway, the only thing that might not work about that blade with T80 is the fact that it is a pretty heavy blade and Tenergy is on the heavy side in terms of rubber. If weight does not bother you, then it should be fine to use the Mazunov with your new set of T80 rubbers. But, it sounds like you might want to try a whole new setup and both the TB Spirit and the Michael Maze blade are excellent. That would be a very nice upgrade to go with your new set of Tenergy 80 rubbers.

The Finewood Off and Off- rackets I don't know about.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
The Mazunov blade! That was the first blade I feel in love with. For an all wood blade, that is a pretty fast blade. I had a flare and an anatomical when I first started playing. I loved the Mazunov I had with the anatomical handle. When I started playing again after 20 years of not playing, my first several blades had anatomic handles.

Anyway, the only thing that might not work about that blade with T80 is the fact that it is a pretty heavy blade and Tenergy is on the heavy side in terms of rubber. If weight does not bother you, then it should be fine to use the Mazunov with your new set of T80 rubbers. But, it sounds like you might want to try a whole new setup and both the TB Spirit and the Michael Maze blade are excellent. That would be a very nice upgrade to go with your new set of Tenergy 80 rubbers.

how heavy is the mazunov sir carl, i'm always looking forward to having one...i like wood blade a lot...
i have a dhs h3 on fh on a 729/friendship wood blade and its quite heavy but i'm used to it already and i love it...

gonna try my tenergy 64 on it if it feels the same,its on a ma lin carbon at present with palio cj8000 biotech on the bh side...
are you a member of the review team sir?..

when its going to be up and running?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I agree with Carl here in regards to the Maze and Boll Spirit blade. I think these two blades will be a great combo for the Tenergy 80, as the Tenergy 05 is a perfect combo for them the 80 should be to I'm sure. I am testing Tenergy 80 with the Boll ZLC and ALC, will be interesting to see how these rubbers perform. I am predicting that they will be very good indeed. I have a feeling Tenergy 80 has slight my control than the 05.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
how heavy is the mazunov sir carl, i'm always looking forward to having one...i like wood blade a lot...
i have a dhs h3 on fh on a 729/friendship wood blade and its quite heavy but i'm used to it already and i love it...

gonna try my tenergy 64 on it if it feels the same,its on a ma lin carbon at present with palio cj8000 biotech on the bh side...
are you a member of the review team sir?..

when its going to be up and running?

On Megaspin its weight is listed as 96 grams. On TableTennisDB it is listed as 107 grams. I think they can run anywhere from about 95 grams to about 110 grams. I don't mind heavy blades either. A tennis racket weighs more than 110 grams. :)

I agree with Carl here in regards to the Maze and Boll Spirit blade. I think these two blades will be a great combo for the Tenergy 80, as the Tenergy 05 is a perfect combo for them the 80 should be to I'm sure. I am testing Tenergy 80 with the Boll ZLC and ALC, will be interesting to see how these rubbers perform. I am predicting that they will be very good indeed. I have a feeling Tenergy 80 has slight my control than the 05.

I believe Tenergy 80 plays like it is half way in between 64 and 05. The pimples are spaced farther than 05 and not as far apart as 64. That is the only difference. The sponge on those three are the same. The topsheet is the same. The only difference is the pimple structure. Should feel a little softer than 05 and not as soft as 64.

ACM

This user has no status.

ACM

This user has no status.
Mar 2013
The Mazunov blade! That was the first blade I fell in love with. For an all wood blade, that is a pretty fast blade. I had a flare and an anatomical when I first started playing. I loved the Mazunov I had with the anatomical handle. When I started playing again after 20 years of not playing, my first several blades had anatomic handles.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the tips on this much appreciated!
I'm glad to know I've been on the right line of thinking..really have been keen on TB Spirit since I had a go at Dan's bat a couple months back. Not pushing my luck I hope but can I just ask your opinion between TB Spirit v TB W7??
Regarding your comments on the Mazunov blade I must tell ya I do understand why you have enjoyed it so much cos I did myself a long time ago when I first got it and after having been away from the game myself I still do.
Thanks again Carl and hopefully I'll hear from you soon again.

Cheers

ACM

This user has no status.

ACM

This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Hi Dan,

Yeah I thought you would and I'm please you do anyway as I thought you're quite on it when you first mentioned TB Spirit to me. I'm still a bit thorn between Spirit v TB W7 but I'm sure I'l be making my mind up over this once I garthered Carls thoughts about how those 2 compare and after your review after this wkend. Get it going mate. Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
If you're looking to win more points during matches then Maze or Spirit or any OFF blade will be too fast with Tenergies. Better opt for OFF- blade with medium stiffeness, like some of the donic blades are good.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Dan,

Yeah I thought you would and I'm please you do anyway as I thought you're quite on it when you first mentioned TB Spirit to me. I'm still a bit thorn between Spirit v TB W7 but I'm sure I'l be making my mind up over this once I garthered Carls thoughts about how those 2 compare and after your review after this wkend. Get it going mate. Cheers

I don't think that the W7 is really worth getting. It might be a great blade but, you already have a great all wood blade. I would go with the spirit or the TB ALC, or the TB ZLF. Probably, for you, coming from using the Mazunov, the TB Spirit or TB ALC are the right choice. If you had hit with a TB W7 and told me you thought it was amazing and would much rather use it than the Mazunov that you already had that would be different. But that blade is not so different from the Mazunov. And if you are getting a new blade, it might as well be an upgrade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi,
I played it on a Donic Senso Blade at i really thought it was the 64...
But i only did some balls and maybe it's rubbisg what i say ;)

It actually should be pretty close to T64. The sponge is the same. The topsheet is the same. The difference between 05 and 64 is the spacing between the pimples. On 64 the pimples are farther apart than on 05. The pimples on 80 are farther apart than 05 and not as far apart as 64. It is almost half way between the two.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
It actually should be pretty close to T64. The sponge is the same. The topsheet is the same. The difference between 05 and 64 is the spacing between the pimples. On 64 the pimples are farther apart than on 05. The pimples on 80 are farther apart than 05 and not as far apart as 64. It is almost half way between the two.

Awesome description Carl, how do you know this by the way? :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Awesome description Carl, how do you know this by the way? :)

The review by Cheli is here:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...0-Review-Tenergy-80-(video)&highlight=tenergy

You even made a comment in the thread. :)

He shows you the pips next to each other (Tenergy 05, Tenergy 64 and Tenergy 80) and you can see the space between them, and he measures the space between them and gives a graphic to show the space between them. :)

This should bring you right to the point in the video where the pips analysis starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qyxtl2sLVFE#t=80s

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The review by Cheli is here:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...0-Review-Tenergy-80-(video)&highlight=tenergy

You even made a comment in the thread. :)

He shows you the pips next to each other (Tenergy 05, Tenergy 64 and Tenergy 80) and you can see the space between them, and he measures the space between them and gives a graphic to show the space between them. :)

This should bring you right to the point in the video where the pips analysis starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qyxtl2sLVFE#t=80s

Thanks Carl! :) Yes, this review is brilliant, I hadn't realized this was the only thing separating the rubbers. I will have my playing review uploaded shortly :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Of course I could be wrong but I think that all the Tenergy rubbers have the same sponge and the same topsheet except for the pimple formation. So 25 feels harder because the pimples are sort of gigantic. 64 feels a little softer because the pimples are the same size as 05 but they are spaced farther apart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
If OP has a decent FH stroke that involves maximum body rotation, full leg exertion, and a strong arm movements than any of the 5ply+2carbon will be too fast with tenergies imo. All you need is a all wood 5 ply blade that it's not too flexy. With a faster blade as you play against higher level player you find it harder to block and so it becomes uncontrollable. Whereas 5ply all wood blade with tenergies is more than enough power to win a point by top spin/smash especially in matches where things get more tense.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I played with Mazunov blades in the 90s with speed glue and Bryce. Mazunovs can be quite heavy (!!). They have a very nice comfortable handle (almost as large as Stiga legend). Their playing properties are quite variable, but they are often as fast as TBS (or the Viscaria, which I use). The Butterfly ALC blades are not so fast that you can't use them with modern offensive rubbers, and the TBS matches particularly nicely with Tenergy of any type. The TB-ALC is a subtle redesign of the TBS that was designed to make it work better with T05. The wood is pretty similar, depending on which one you get, the TB-ALC often feels a little bit crisper. (I suspect that may be due to a newer gluing method they are using to assemble the plies). But the main difference (vs. TBS) is the TB-ALC has a slightly longer handle, and is therefore less head-heavy. That means it works a bit better with very heavy rubbers, like pretty much all of the good ones made now --- Tenergy, Evolution, Bluefire, etc. Maze will be like a slightly slower version of TBS and has a very distinctive handle shapes in both straight and flare. I would suggest that a Mazunov will be incredibly heavy with Tenmergy rubbers -- as someone noted the blade itself can reach 105 g. It seems to me like an elbow injury weighting to happen. I would suggest that you would be better off with one of the Butterfly ALC blades -- Maze, TBS, TB-ALC, Viscaria, IF-ALC, etc. --- and I would suggest a TB-ALC as a really good choice. As for T80 itself, it is correct that it plays somewhere in between T05 and T64, but in pretty much every property it tends to be closer to T05 than T64. I think T80 works well on the BH side but I still prefer T05 on forehand (which I used for five years). Actually these days I am using Evo MX-P on both sides, which I think is fantastic, and saves me 40 USD every time I change my rubber. A quite large number of high level players with good body rotation etc. use these blades effectively. I disagree with the idea that they are somehow "too fast".

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I played with Mazunov blades in the 90s with speed glue and Bryce. Mazunovs can be quite heavy (!!). They have a very nice comfortable handle (almost as large as Stiga legend). Their playing properties are quite variable, but they are often as fast as TBS (or the Viscaria, which I use). The Butterfly ALC blades are not so fast that you can't use them with modern offensive rubbers, and the TBS matches particularly nicely with Tenergy of any type. The TB-ALC is a subtle redesign of the TBS that was designed to make it work better with T05. The wood is pretty similar, depending on which one you get, the TB-ALC often feels a little bit crisper. (I suspect that may be due to a newer gluing method they are using to assemble the plies). But the main difference (vs. TBS) is the TB-ALC has a slightly longer handle, and is therefore less head-heavy. That means it works a bit better with very heavy rubbers, like pretty much all of the good ones made now --- Tenergy, Evolution, Bluefire, etc. Maze will be like a slightly slower version of TBS and has a very distinctive handle shapes in both straight and flare. I would suggest that a Mazunov will be incredibly heavy with Tenmergy rubbers -- as someone noted the blade itself can reach 105 g. It seems to me like an elbow injury weighting to happen. I would suggest that you would be better off with one of the Butterfly ALC blades -- Maze, TBS, TB-ALC, Viscaria, IF-ALC, etc. --- and I would suggest a TB-ALC as a really good choice. As for T80 itself, it is correct that it plays somewhere in between T05 and T64, but in pretty much every property it tends to be closer to T05 than T64. I think T80 works well on the BH side but I still prefer T05 on forehand (which I used for five years). Actually these days I am using Evo MX-P on both sides, which I think is fantastic, and saves me 40 USD every time I change my rubber. A quite large number of high level players with good body rotation etc. use these blades effectively. I disagree with the idea that they are somehow "too fast".

Wow awesome review Baal! I learned a lot here

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2