help me choosing backhand rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
Hi All,

I have been struggling to find a good backhand rubber for months now, so I thought I ask here for advice. I am looking for something thats medium hard, not too bouncy, not too fast, has a catapult effect and its easy to engage the sponge in the shots. I know its difficult to suggest, so I am posting below what I tried and what I liked/disliked in them:

- Stiga boost TX - I liked that its easy to play with it, the sponge works well, but its way too fast, and bouncy, difficult to create slow spinny loops. The speed/spin ratio is not good for me. I read somewhere that it gives the ball a flat trajectiry, I can tell, thats very true.
- Stiga calibra LT - I like the crisp feeling, but its toooo fast, I hardly had any dwell time, and therefore spin was weak. I liked its weight.
- Tibhar Evolution EL-P - I tgought this will be something softer, but it turns out to be very hard for a bh rubber (at least for me). I like the hard topsheet, good for short pushes and drop shots, but it overall has a very hard feeling, its difficult to get the sponge working at my level. Most of the spin I generated came from the topsheet only. Also very heavy, which is not good, since I have H3/TG3 on the fh.
- T05 FX - I kinda liked this, except for its weight, but I am not going to pay 80 bucks for a rubber. Also this was a non-commercial version for pro players from sponsors.
- Donic Acuda S2 - like Evolution, good topsheet, but the overall feel is hard, I have to hit with muscle to get any effect from the sponge, otherwise its either just looping with the topsheet, or the ball 'falls out' from the rubber. Also very heavy, feels more like a fh rubber. I suspect if I could boost the crap outta it, it might soften up enough.
- DHS Tin Arc 3 - kinda liked it, but it was a longer time ago that I used it last time, back then my skill level was much lower. It feels a lot like T05, though. Also a bit heavy and may be too hard, but this is a good candidate.

I am considering barracuda, yasaka rakza7 (I played briefly with it, not enough to judge, though). I dont want to go to the very soft end of the rubbers though, definitely boost tx/rakza7 would be the softest (by feeling) that I would use. Do you guys have any suggestions? Whats your experience? Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Genius sound is also a good backhand rubber, maybe too soft for you, depending on your blade. 5Q is harder so it might suit you better. Very good for slow spinny loops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of rakza7soft, seems like a good candidate. How about Baracuda Big slam? Might be much heavier than the rakza though.