says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily had the fantastic opportunity to review Butterfly's latest Tenergy 80 Rubber using the ALC and ZLC Timo Boll blade's! The review looks at various techniques and a range of shots used in today's modern game of table tennis.

tenergy80review1.jpg

The playing review below

We hope you enjoy this review, let us know what you think by posting below guys :) Have you tried the Tenergy 80 yet?
Check out Butterfly's Jun Mizutani testing Tenergy 80 here

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 11 reviews
I tried Dan's Boll ALC T80 in training today, What I thought, the was the blade is very comfortable to hold and use, strongly recomMend the blade.

As for the tenergy 80, I used it on my fh and found it didn't have the speed but had very good spin and control, on the backhand I found it very good, very good control and spin, also had good control when holding close to the table!! Will definately consider using it on the backhand side for my game!

Administrator
Oct 2010
Great review! Impressed with the amount of depth and detail it went into compared with other reviews, vital if you're thinking about trying it.

Thanks Phil. glad you liked the review! :)

I tried Dan's Boll ALC T80 in training today, What I thought, the was the blade is very comfortable to hold and use, strongly recomMend the blade.

As for the tenergy 80, I used it on my fh and found it didn't have the speed but had very good spin and control, on the backhand I found it very good, very good control and spin, also had good control when holding close to the table!! Will definately consider using it on the backhand side for my game!

Totally agree Dean, very good on the backhand side indeed. It has a fantastic feel to it!

ACM

This user has no status.

ACM

This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Hi Dan, great work on this really good review I think! Really pleased as I think you've approached just about everything I wanted to know about the rubbers. I still have a question though about blades if I may: Between TB ALC and TB Spirit there's only 0.25 more control on the ALC do you think that will make much of a difference getting it over Spirit?
Once again great work!

Cheers

foz

This user has no status.
Excellent review lads, wish I was as quick on my feet as you both! :-/. Great views and to the point! You must do more! You have convinced me to try t80 on bh for sure,(don't worry, I won't be blaming you if it all goes wrong, lol), about the fh drive shots, do you think there would be more control with ZJK ? My fh is a fair mix of spin loop and drive loop,

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
good review.. thanks a lot..

Thanks Merhaba! :)

Can you compare it to t05fx and t25?

Hey Sali, I havent tried either of those rubbers so I am unsure. I don't have any access to those rubbers sorry. Hopefully someone on the forum here will respond to your request :)

Hi Dan, great work on this really good review I think! Really pleased as I think you've approached just about everything I wanted to know about the rubbers. I still have a question though about blades if I may: Between TB ALC and TB Spirit there's only 0.25 more control on the ALC do you think that will make much of a difference getting it over Spirit?
Once again great work!

Cheers

Thanks ACM, much appreciated! To be honest I don't think there would be to much difference. They are very similar blades, I think the ALC may be better with the Tenergy 80 as it seems a lot of players have selected that blade lately. However, I think either blade would be fine mate :)

Excellent review lads, wish I was as quick on my feet as you both! :-/. Great views and to the point! You must do more! You have convinced me to try t80 on bh for sure,(don't worry, I won't be blaming you if it all goes wrong, lol), about the fh drive shots, do you think there would be more control with ZJK ? My fh is a fair mix of spin loop and drive loop,

Thanks Foz, glad you like it! Aha I am sure you will like it and yeah that is true, on a different blade the rubber could act different. You would have to test this really Foz, I can'y say for sure how it would be. But it should be fine I'm sure :)

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
Tried it last week. Wasn't what I was expecting definetly slower then 05 and 64 I felt but had more spin then the other two, probably a good backhand rubber but I won't be switching. Probably good for less advanced players before they switch to 05 or 64 or for players that want more control.

CJ

This user has no status.

CJ

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 2 reviews
Once again great work!

Cheers

I've had both Alc and boll spirits and I would say that they are exactly the same. The plys are identical the handle seems to be the only difference I can see. Would recommend both best blades in the world in my opinion

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great Review of the Rubber. Nice Technique of both players. Seems to be very interesting Rubber.
Nice to get a high quality review of all different playing variantes.

Thanks Bernie :) It sure is, welcome to the site also! :) Thanks for joining.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
This review has a great improvement compared to the previous stiga one. Just from the video itself (even without audio speech) I could notice that the speed is not so great compare to the control and spin. But still, I think I'm going to stick with stiga or tibhar due to price >.>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is a strange thing Dan, butterfly locate this product as faster then t05 but less spin. Also in the chart I found it very close to t25, so I am thinking if they maybe are going to cancel t25 from their offer and put instead t80. Even mizutani said that t80 is good because it is between t05 and t64, but he Did not mentioned t25 which is already there. The other thing is you mentioned surfing test that it is softer then t05 ( or maybe I wrongly understood) so it should be simillar to t05fx. The lat think I want to ask if you could compare t80 to calibra tour medium you just tested?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
# Thanks Dan!! Great & Important review!!! :)
(also, it was a great pleasure for me watching you to play!)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey Dan, did you get to try the Timo Boll ZLF? I was looking forward to seeing what you thought about how that blade played. I thought you were going to try it in the review to see how the rubber feels on it in comparison to how it feels on the ALC. Since you have been using the Spirit which is so similar to the ALC I was curious about how the ZLF blade felt to you. But it does not look like you tried it. Did you get to feel the ZLF blade with Tenergy 80?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way Dan, it was fun to see both of you guys playing and having fun and this is a pretty solid review where you get an idea of what T80 does well and what it does not do as well. :)

There is a strange thing Dan, butterfly locate this product as faster then t05 but less spin. Also in the chart I found it very close to t25, so I am thinking if they maybe are going to cancel t25 from their offer and put instead t80. Even mizutani said that t80 is good because it is between t05 and t64, but he Did not mentioned t25 which is already there. The other thing is you mentioned surfing test that it is softer then t05 ( or maybe I wrongly understood) so it should be simillar to t05fx. The lat think I want to ask if you could compare t80 to calibra tour medium you just tested?

I think, because T80 is half way in between T64 and T05 Butterfly is comparing T80 to those two rubbers. These three rubbers all have the same size pips but the spacing is different. T05 the pips are closer together. T64 the pips are spaced further away. There was a request from some pros to have a rubber that was about half way between T64 and T05 and that is T80.

T25 the pips are a different size. They are much larger than T05, T64 or T80. This makes T25 the hardest of the 4. The only difference between these four rubbers is the pips. The sponge is the same. The rubber of the topsheet is the same. But the pips makes the rubbers have different properties. So T25 would be the one that feels hardest because of the size of the pips. T05 is the next hardest and this is because of the spacing of the pips: there are more pips per square inch in T05 than in T80 or T64. T80 the spacing of the pips is further apart than T05 but closer than T64. But in T05, T80 and T64 the pips are the same size.

You can see a graphic that shows this at 5.51 of Dan's video. He got that graphic from the video in this review of T80:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...w-Tenergy-80-(video)&highlight=Tenergy+review

In Cheli's review the graphic is explained much more fully.

So, T80 is not really like T05 FX. T05 FX has the same pip configuration as T05 but the sponge is softer. The FX sponge is a different durometer than the regular Tenergy sponge. Whereas, the sponge in T05, T80 and T64 is all the same exact sponge.

In Dan's video where he shows that graphic he says the sponge is softer in T80. What he means is that T80 has a softer feel. But, in reality, that is because of the pips configuration not the sponge. Where, T05 FX and T64 FX have softer sponge than the regular Tenergy series rubbers. I assume that, soon there will be a T80 FX as well.

I believe there are enough people who buy T25 that Butterfly will continue to make it. It is a pretty good rubber too. And for those who like a harder rubber, it is harder than any of the other Tenergy rubbers.

Last edited: