Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Here's a good demonstration

How to get to a ball when your to far away from it and out of position. The footwork pattern is whats known as the 'cross step'.

Watch how once Paul Drinkhall completes the cross step, he recovers and pushes of back to his ready postion straight away.

Some players tend to cross step and then that have left the table open, you must try to practice to get back to the centre line as quickly and efficiently as possible.

xin_16201071108044213071636.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It's called "omlopen" in my language (Belgian dutch).
Sometimes I do it, mostly when I'm playing offensive.

says Photino rocks xD
says Photino rocks xD
Nov 2010
its very effective in retrieving the ball and executing killer side spin loops but it has a disadvantage when you lose your footing or balance and all the opponent has to do is block it back to your backhand

says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
Oct 2010
must the one be focus to don't do it alot coz it's very tiring ^_^

and it's need alot of training to do it right.

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
i only ever do it when i relax and then it just happens....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I do this quite often, sometimes its the only way for me to get to the ball. Very tiring, yes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
It isn't easy on the knees but is what you have to do if you want to get the ball back when your opponent has pushed you around the table. The Drinkhall video almost needs to be played in slow motion to see his crossovers and recovery! Nice demonstration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I've been taught only to do so on extreme reaches, it makes setting up the next shot harder so should be avoided whenever possible.

Yeah its definitely something only to use in particular situations where you are forced into it. I mean ideally you can estimate where your opponent hits the ball to so you are in the correct position. It's only when you are forced into the situation where you really have to reach for a far ball do you use the cross-step.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah its definitely something only to use in particular situations where you are forced into it. I mean ideally you can estimate where your opponent hits the ball to so you are in the correct position. It's only when you are forced into the situation where you really have to reach for a far ball do you use the cross-step.

Yeah true, however a Chinese coach taught me this once. If the ball is wide to your forehand and you have the confident's, you can use the cross step to hit the ball as you can generate a lot more power.. I guess its a gamble shot! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah true, however a Chinese coach taught me this once. If the ball is wide to your forehand and you have the confident's, you can use the cross step to hit the ball as you can generate a lot more power.. I guess its a gamble shot! :)

Yeah I guess that's true, in those cases where its not too far wide to the forehand, I prefer to do a shift/hop to the side, its like sliding to side to side, except you move both feet at the same time, I find that that helps produce more power because your entire body is shifting during the course of your swing, which can add power, but it doesn't sacrifice your position as much as a cross-step. I tend to only resort to cross-stepping when it is the only method to reach a ball that is far wide to the forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
It's called "omlopen" in my language (Belgian dutch).
Sometimes I do it, mostly when I'm playing offensive.

I think you are wrong here, they dont mean that, they mean the jump when your from 'omloop' position to your forhand.
Then you crosstep your feet ;)