Building my first paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Hey guys,

I'm a penhold player from Macedonia and so far I only used premade bats available at my local shop. I've a pretty good consistency, power, speed & spin on my forehand and so far I only played the traditional penhold backhand by pushing&blocking as I was unable to hit the RPB at a good rate since the rubbers I used were crap.

Now I decided to move on and build my first bat. I've considered purchasing this setup:

Blade: tabletennis11(dot)com/other_eng/tt-blade-yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive-pen
BH Rubber: tabletennis11(dot)com/other_eng/tt-rubber-yasaka-mark-v
FH Rubber #1: tabletennis11(dot)com/other_eng/tt-rubber-dhs-hurricane-3-neo
FH Rubber #2: tabletennis11(dot)com/other_eng/tt-rubber-dhs-skyline-3-neo

However, I don't want to make a mistake by choosing a bad setup, so I request your help on this subject.

Please note that I'm an offensive player and I strive to finish the point in less hits as possible. I don't consider myself as a beginner, I'm playing the sport for 2 years and before that I've played tennis for 11 years ( competitive ).

P.S. : I'm unable to choose any butterfly products as tabletennis11 does not ship to my country.
P.P.S : I've also considered choosing DHS PG7-8-9, is it a good blade?

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me
Kind Regards.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The blade is good. Either forehand rubber is good. Do you know how to boost your rubbers? Hurricane and Skyline work much better boosted even if they are the NEO versions. I would get a different backhand rubber. That site is charging too much for the Mark V. That rubber should be inexpensive and it is more than a lot of rubbers that are better than it. It is a fine rubber for a beginner but it should not cost so much. It looks like they have Rakza soft on sale for almost half the price. That is a way higher quality rubber and a good rubber for the backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
I've no idea how to boost the rubber, and If It's possible I'd like to avoid modifying my equipment ( fear :D ).
I'll check out the Rakza 7 Soft version now, is it good for RPB? And which rubber would you suggest for the forehand?

How about this setup?

Blade:

YASAKA MA LIN EXTRA OFFENSIVE PEN

FH Rubber:

Xiom Vega Pro

BH Rubber:

Rakza 7 Soft

Please note that I'm budget limited, ~80

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've no idea how to boost the rubber, and If It's possible I'd like to avoid modifying my equipment ( fear :D ).
I'll check out the Rakza 7 Soft version now, is it good for RPB? And which rubber would you suggest for the forehand?

How about this setup?

Blade:

YASAKA MA LIN EXTRA OFFENSIVE PEN

FH Rubber:

Xiom Vega Pro

BH Rubber:

Rakza 7 Soft

Please note that I'm budget limited, ~80

That would be pretty darn good. I think the soft or Rakza might be very good for learning RPB. Xiom Vega Europe is good as well for the backhand. But, if Rakza is on sale at that price, it is an excellent rubber. It might even be good for the forehand. A lot of spin and a lot of control. If your forehand can provide the power, it is really a top notch rubber. Usually you would use a rubber that is a little harder than that for the forehand but it would still be pretty good.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Perhaps you would like to stop wasting my time by reporting a post that appears to be genuine on account of the fact that non-metric measurements were used, spam are non table tennis related links for stupid things like hair products and software, not people asking what table tennis blade they should use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Perhaps you would like to stop wasting my time by reporting a post that appears to be genuine on account of the fact that non-metric measurements were used, spam are non table tennis related links for stupid things like hair products and software, not people asking what table tennis blade they should use.
Hm, I didn't use the report button, maybe someone else did.
Anyway, there have been many threads like this one, always made by new accounts, always the same questions and patterns, always trying to lead people on like this.

What is the pattern? Just see the responses to Carl's posts. Carl suggests good a modern rubber. Then, OP asks for opinions on another modern rubber. (vega pro.) Then, when Carl says it's a good setup, the OP says his premade bats have too much catapult. So, now, Carl or other posters must come up with suggestions for non-springy rubbers. And so on and so on.

After the one thread has run its course, the account goes completely inactive and does not participate in any other discussion on this forum. Then, a new account is made and the process is repeated.

I answered many of these threads until I caught on to this act. It's easy to tell the difference between a legit poster and that guy, once you've seen his patterns. Using inches has nothing to do with it, that was just a detail.
Just pointing it out.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can put a lot of spin & power(FH) even with no rubber, all I want to get on my forehand is consistency. With the current rubbers I used, the ball is catapulting really high and I get 20% of the balls out of the table(2-3 inches)

Go with Rakza soft on both sides. It really is a great rubber and they have it at a great discount. Look up as many reviews on Rakza soft as you like. The rubber is one of the best on the market. The softness will give you a lot of control if you are having trouble with control.

Reactions: kjanko
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alright! Which thickness should I choose?

Thinner = more control and more feel.

Thicker = more speed.

It really depends on what you like. The rubber already allows for a lot of control. I personally would want max. But, 2.0 is still going to be pretty good. And if you are really wanting control all the way this rubber does come in 1.8.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
533331_418386708257142_2099543735_n.jpg

541669_418386601590486_737152975_n.jpg

579704_418386461590500_1536640336_n.jpg

Here're some pictures of it sent by TT11 :)
However I have a question, do you guys think this'll be too heavy from the looks of it?