Materials for the blade surface

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Materials for the blade surface(1)

This topic will be very interesing ones for everyone here in this forum.
I'm not sure how much agreeable for you this analysis will be,because it's not about mechanic calcuation only.
In some ways, this part should be considering each player's different style.
For examples, how the swing goes, what angle is comfortable for back hand & fore hand stroke and loopings, how long the ball stays on the blade when he makes spinny shot, what's the impact of the swing movement when he make powerful top spin, how he rubs the ball when he wants to make a pimple out rubbers' effect to the maximum.......and so on.

So, this article will be general one, and I hope you don't expect me to be a fortune teller for table tennis blades.

Ok, let's start with the "staying moment".
This term "staying moment" is what I made to explain what I think about surface material.

When you make a top spin shot, you can see some people keep the ball on the blade for certain moment, enough to see how he makes big spin on the ball. Normally, this movement goes little bit round way, but linear or straight.
The blade draws big circle around.

But when you become faster and more powerful, then you easily moves into quicker movement.
Some players use their wrist when they make top spin shot, from back to forward, not only from down to up.
If this movement happens in a very short impact moment, then you can feel the looping becomes a lot more powerful.

If you have a chance to play against top players, then you will know that their ball is more powerful than you see and guess.
You need to keep your blade tight, and be stable when you block, because the flying ball seems to push away your blade back.
And you will be thinking why my top spin is not that fast?
How I can make my top spin that fast?
And some of you might have tried to make faster swing movement.
But only to find that faster movement is not the practical answer.
As I told you, some times it's about writst movement, or arm folding....or....

But I can say one sure thing. It's about impact.
When you hit the ball with your blade, the blade was at the highest speed, and the ball needs to be smashed both ways, from down to up, and also from back to forth.
It't too simple answer, so you will think it's not that special.
But then again, please, think about what will happen to the ball and rubbers when you make that powerful shot.

In that moment, the ball goes into the rubber, from top sheet into sponge, and finally into wooden surface.
For powerful loopers, this impact happens all the time.
They know how to make the ball touches deep even into wood.
So, when you make this powerful shot, even though you are doing looping, still you can hear the big sound of the ball's impact on the wooden surface of the blade.

If you don't hear the sound which normally happens when you smash without spinny movement when you do looping, then it menas that you are not doing those top player's shot.

Any way, it's not all the important factor in table tennis.
As far as I know, there are some good players who can not make this "bang" sound when they loop, but still they are really powerful.

By the way, whenever I make a blade, I discriminate the "staying moment" for general swing movement from this "bang" looping movement.
Some blades can be good for general swing, but not good for "bang impact".

I don't want to degrade Chinese blades, but lots of chinese blades are not good for this "bang impact" shot.
They tend to focus on the feeling and power onto the table movement, which should be about small but quick swing.
So, they don't think whey a blade has to be powerful with that "bang impact" shot.

If you have "bang impact" shot, and if you use that shot onto the table, then your opponent can not even see the ball. The ball just disapears.
The impact generated by this "bang impact" shot distorts the top sheet of the rubber, and also distorts the sponge upon to the blade surface, making big "bang" sound.

To be continue...

Last edited: