speed glue long pimples?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why would you want to speed glue long pips? I have heard of players doing funny things like putting glue on only part of the rubber so there are spots that are extra dead and others that adhere to the blade and that makes it harder to tell what spin is coming off the racket because it will respond differently where the rubber is glued better than it will where the rubber is not glued properly. However, the expansion of the sponge that goes with speed gluing causes the there to be more tension in the TOPSHEET of a SMOOTH RUBBER and therefore there is more dwell time, the ball sinks in more, the topsheet grabs the ball more and you get more spin, speed, and control.

With pips, the tension of the rubber should not change the pips themselves in any specific way. All it would do is make it as though the pips were on a thicker sponge. I don't really know. But I think a thin sponge would be for control and using thicker sponge might not be what you want with long pips.

Perhaps someone who uses long pimpled rubber would be able to give a better answer though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any long pips players out there with answers to this from experience playing with pips. I really don't know if speed glue would be something you would want with long pips but now I am interested to hear what some pips players have to say on the subject.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hmm if it's used for chopping, the speed glued pips will:
1. Behave rather differently compared when you use the pips glued with WBG.
2. Has that unneeded catapult effect when chopping with the benefit of just slightly extra spin.

Deception is mostly in your hand skills of manipulating the ball upon the slightest contact with very little amount of visual action difference. The type of glue used doesn't play too much part here.

I think there is some advantage if you are using it to attack ala Carl Prean, but for chopping it's a no no to me.

Hope this will answer your question well.

Source: First hand experience

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Especially with the thinner sponged LPs, using speed glue or rubber cement will make the sheet curl up worse than a dry leaf in fall, ustterly useless to attempt. OX sheets will realy curl onto themself with SG or rubber cement.

heck, if you got the money and the time/patience, why the heck not?

Good luck my friend.