Setup for a friend HELP!

says Hello Guys , I love Table Tennis Just like you guys...
says Hello Guys , I love Table Tennis Just like you guys...
Apr 2011
Hello guys..
I have a friend who is currently trying to change his playing style because he is very inconsistent.
He Has a very Agressive playing style but like i said before he is inconsistent.. he likes to smash everytime he can and Likes to play far from the table, however he is not very good with the third ball. now he is currently using a thibar blade which name i cant remember right now (carbon blade) with a Tenergy 05 on both sides .. maybe this setup is too fast for him.

now he is trying to change his playing style to a more consistent third ball and lots lots of topspins and loops .. he is trying to have more control far from the table like mizutani.. now he has two new rubbers : Andro Hexer for FH and Tenergy 05fx for BH! what he doesnt know is what BLADE to get! can any of you guys help him please! THANK YOU GUYS

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
stephano, there is not any equipment change that will make him play significantly better given your description. Those misses are coming from a whole host of issues related to shot selection, positioning, form, ability to read the spin and location of the strike zone just to name a few. Different equipment will not significantly help him, unless he was using anti on both sides.

Unfortunately, until your friend becomes more consistant in these fundamentals, his issues will likely persist. That is simply how table tennis goes.

The reason why pundits recommend ALL+ blades and classic rubbers is to learn a basic way to strike the ball in order to make long term development years down teh road to achieve an average club playing level (which is city Div 4 or div 5 here) or an above average level (like div 3 city or lower range of div 2 city here). These pundits firmly believe in a style of game with control shots and tactics with wide variation. such a style of table tennis can certainly grow from a newbie level to an above average level. However, it isn't the only style that grow to that level or above. Even at Div 1 city level, the players have some severe flaws in tactics or technique that can be easily exploited, that is if one is wise enough and skilled enough to exploit them.

What level does your friend wish to achieve? Unless it is elite city or regional level, he can likely reach average club level with instruction and some years of lessons/practice using a wide range of playing equipment or style if he can get into a situation to do this.

Reactions: craniumburn