How to perform Kick Serve?

This user has no status.
In the recent tournament, I lost to an opponent. He used "kick serve". He started like a forehand backspin serve but his forearm and wrist seemed to snap very quickly. The ball came at me at a moderately fast pace, bounced near the end of table, and then seemed to kick forward. Caught me by surprise, hitting the ball with the edge of my blade during looping attempt.
I adjusted to this serve in the end but it would be a great weapon in a tight spot, I think. But for the life of me, I could not find a video or even detailed explanation on how to perform this serve.
Could you guys light the path for me?
Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
It was a topspin serve he applies the topspin before he does the motion for the backspin. It is horrible because the guys that I know that can do that serve can do backspin with the same motion and it is really hard to tell whether it is backspin or topspin. You need to know it really well or you are a master at receiving serves especially disguised or tricky serves.
The motion for this serve is like a Z starting from the bottom. First you start like it is a regular backspin then you brush the ball upward and finish the motion downward like a regular backspin. Now to disguise it you can als do the backspin with the same motion....

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

I was that victim in the video.

Wow that's a deceptive serve!

My friend Gavin Rumgay does a lot of 'Kicker serves'.

If you watch from 2.12 onward's you will see a lot of kick serves.

I can perhaps make a video to demonstrate how to do the kicker serve?

Reactions: FutureAudio
This user has no status.
A good example the other way 'round, i.e. a backspin serve with fake top spin motion.

I'd personally give it a try if you are not used to add whatever fake motion to your serves, it's an easy way to annoy your opponents a bit more with your serves ;).

Thanks, fnord. I already have that kind of serve in my repertoire :) But I cloak the short heavy backspin serve with fake side spin motion. Catch a lot of netted balls with it, hehe.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
I played once with player who is serving kick serves, when I tried to play backhand topspin the ball hit the edge of the blade. Then my coach told just to play backhand push and little over the ball, it gave a lot of spin to ball and my opponent then started to have a problems :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Wow Gavin Rumgay Kicker is so difficult to read looks exactly like his heavy Backspin.

Here Is a Video on How to Perform A Kicker by Chris Wheeler the key is to Rip the ball

This user has no status.
After watching Chris Wheeler video for the 100th time (a bit exaggerated, of course), I think it may work like this: (correct me if I am off-the-mark please)
The primary spin is the side spin, that is when the arm slices across the equator of the ball. But when the ball is propelled, the axis of rotation changes to topspin with the second bounce.
Anyone?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Give it a practice and see how yhou get on Iczy! you should definitely be apply top and side to the ball, the spin grabs the table more on the second bounce than the first and gives the kick effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
I wouldn't worry that much Iczy, the posted video from TTlover11 just uses the same motion like a tomahawk serve with a reduced range of motion in general to get a slow side top spin ball, where the side spin effect is negligible.

The result is a slow top spin ball which kicks in on the opponents side.

A usual kicker serve isn't something mysterious, throw up the ball and give it top spin with the usual tangential motion. Make sure to just brush the ball and don't add too much forward motion. This way you get your kick in effect.

Because this is plain obvious, people hide it with fake motions, in your video your opponent started with a backspin motion and at the end he suddenly changes it to an upward brush like above.

I thought you got that point earlier where I posted the vice versa variation, I hope this time I explained it a bit better.

EDIT

Kick serves mixed with backspin balls en masse at international level (ofc illegal) by Par Gerell (yellow one) with the same motion as seen in TTlover11's posted video:

Last edited:
Reactions: tenbor77