Is Skyline 3 neo a good rubber for the backhand

Is Skyline 3 neo a good rubber for the backhand

• Total voters
says Hi I am a Table tennis player in the Philippines. Im...
says Hi I am a Table tennis player in the Philippines. Im...
Dec 2010
Is skyline 3 neo a good rubber for the backhand?If you answer is No what rubber would u used comment below;)
Skyline 3 Neo :
Speed: 8.2
Control: 8.5
Spin: 8.9
Tacky: 8.8
Throw Angel: 5.5 medium
Weight : 6.3
Sponge hardness: 7.9

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a tricky question since so many players like such different equipment. From a technical standpoint I would say that, because of the kind of sponge that DHS uses, this rubber is not so great for the backhand but it is excellent for the forehand. I have used Skyline on my backhand and it worked fine, I got used to it and thought it was more than just decent because it is an excellent rubber. But the kind of sponge and the hardness of the sponge lends itself better to use on the forehand. I would look at what the players on the Chinese National Team use to understand things that might be good for the backhand.

Many of the players on the Chinese National Team use a DHS rubber for the forehand (Hurricane or Skyline, usually black). Many of those same players use Tenergy 05 or Tenergy 64 on the backhand. Now a lot of people who play with Euro/Japanese type rubbers would not say that Tenergy has a soft sponge, but it is much different, softer and more bouncy, than the DHS rubbers. For the fact that the backhand stroke is a much shorter stroke with less power because the stroke is shorter and because you cannot use your whole body for the stroke in the same way as you can with the forehand, that makes a Euro/Japanese style of rubber work better for the backhand.

Because of the potential size of the swing and the power you can generate with your forehand the DHS Skyline and Hurricane series rubbers are great forehand rubbers.

Rubbers that I have tried that seem to be good for the backhand, Xiom Omega III (any variation), Xiom Omega IV (Any variation), Tenergy 05 or 05fx, Tenergy 64 or 64fx (I am using Tenergy 25 on my backhand and it works fine but those are better backhand rubbers than the Tenergy 25). Any of the Calibra series. There are many more rubbers that are excellent for the backhand. For instance, I have been told that the Xiom Vega Pro is a great rubber for the backhand although I have not tried it. But these kinds of rubbers where the topsheet is grippy, but not tacky, and the sponge has spring to it, in my opinion, seem to work better for the way the backhand stroke works than tacky Chinese rubbers like DHS Skyline III NEO or DHS Hurricane III NEO.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: TripleC
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a tricky question since so many players like such different equipment. From a technical standpoint I would say that, because of the kind of sponge that DHS uses, this rubber is not so great for the backhand but it is excellent for the forehand. I have used Skyline on my backhand and it worked fine, I got used to it and thought it was more than just decent because it is an excellent rubber. But the kind of sponge and the hardness of the sponge lends itself better to use on the forehand. I would look at what the players on the Chinese National Team use to understand things that might be good for the backhand.

Many of the players on the Chinese National Team use a DHS rubber for the forehand (Hurricane or Skyline, usually black). Many of those same players use Tenergy 05 or Tenergy 64 on the backhand. Now a lot of people who play with Euro/Japanese type rubbers would not say that Tenergy has a soft sponge, but it is much different, softer and more bouncy, than the DHS rubbers. For the fact that the backhand stroke is a much shorter stroke with less power because the stroke is shorter and because you cannot use your whole body for the stroke in the same way as you can with the forehand, that makes a Euro/Japanese style of rubber work better for the backhand.

Because of the potential size of the swing and the power you can generate with your forehand the DHS Skyline and Hurricane series rubbers are great forehand rubbers.

Rubbers that I have tried that seem to be good for the backhand, Xiom Omega III (any variation), Xiom Omega IV (Any variation), Tenergy 05 or 05fx, Tenergy 64 or 64fx (I am using Tenergy 25 on my backhand and it works fine but those are better backhand rubbers than the Tenergy 25). Any of the Calibra series. There are many more rubbers that are excellent for the backhand. For instance, I have been told that the Xiom Vega Pro is a great rubber for the backhand although I have not tried it. But these kinds of rubbers where the topsheet is grippy, but not tacky, and the sponge has spring to it, in my opinion, seem to work better for the way the backhand stroke works than tacky Chinese rubbers like DHS Skyline III NEO or DHS Hurricane III NEO.

Hope this helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Agree with Carl on all the points , he has dabbled a lot in equipments so he is an expert on that.
From personal experience , I love the current setup I am using, which is Tenergy 64 instead of my older setup Tenergy 05fx. One of the top coaches in US told me that O5FX is a recreational rubber , what I found is that I have much more feeling when using 64 , and if you are into developing your game like I am you need more feeling to know where in your paddle you are hitting the ball. So you have to determine what is "soft" and what is "hard" for you, I would choose something optimal that gives me both power and feeling, power, since back hand is a shorter stroke and feeling , because primarily that is what you use for setting up your attacks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Agree with Carl on all the points , he has dabbled a lot in equipments so he is an expert on that.
From personal experience , I love the current setup I am using, which is Tenergy 64 instead of my older setup Tenergy 05fx. One of the top coaches in US told me that O5FX is a recreational rubber , what I found is that I have much more feeling when using 64 , and if you are into developing your game like I am you need more feeling to know where in your paddle you are hitting the ball. So you have to determine what is "soft" and what is "hard" for you, I would choose something optimal that gives me both power and feeling, power, since back hand is a shorter stroke and feeling , because primarily that is what you use for setting up your attacks.

Nice points. I would agree with this. And the setup you are using is an excellent one. :) I don't really like the fx versions of Tenergy either. The way that Tenergy's topsheet works softer rubber is not needed. It grabs the ball really nicely. And the regular spring sponge feels ideal for touch, feeling, control and power. But, since some people feel they need something softer than the regular Tenergy Butterfly made the fx version and there are people who like it. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Carl for the compliments on my setup , even Stefan Feth told me that he liked my setup , so I guess I have eliminated one of the excuses to not improve my game :)
Nice points. I would agree with this. And the setup you are using is an excellent one. :) I don't really like the fx versions of Tenergy either. The way that Tenergy's topsheet works softer rubber is not needed. It grabs the ball really nicely. And the regular spring sponge feels ideal for touch, feeling, control and power. But, since some people feel they need something softer than the regular Tenergy Butterfly made the fx version and there are people who like it. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014

question carl:
what is the role of the thickness? power and spin and control trade off?