Interview - 2013 WTTC Champion Li Xiaoxia

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
View attachment 3919An Interview with China's Golden Olympian, Li Xiaoxia

To view this interview and other world class interviews visit http://mhtabletennis.com

This interview was returned to me around a month ago while Xiaoxia was preparing to reach her goal of winning the WTTC :)

Well, this is a triumph. To have the chance to interview a Chinese player is a huge task and a huge honour, but to have the opportunity at the same time to interview an Olympic Champion and a 3 time WTTC singles medallist is amazing. So here it is, direct from the reigning Olympic Champion herself! My interview with Li Xiaoxia :)

Full Name: Li Xiaoxia
Date of Birth: 16th January
Nation Represented: China
Highest World Ranking: 1

liinterview.jpg

Equipment:
Blade: Double Happiness Hurricane Xia
FH Rubber: Hurricane 3
BH Rubber: Nittaku Refoma

How old were you when you started playing table tennis?
I started playing table tennis when I was just 7 years old.

What has been the highlight of your table tennis career so far?
Winning the Olympic Gold medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games. This was always one of my biggest dreams, so it is definitely the highlight.

What is your next big goal for table tennis?
My next goal is to achieve another big dream, to win the World Championships. So my goal is to win WTTC in Paris in one month's time.

Congratulations on winning the Olympic Games! How did it feel to have an Olympic Gold Medal around your neck after winning the final?
I was very excited and of course very grateful, thank you to everybody for their support, especially to my coach, without him I wouldn't be here today.

xiaoxia.jpg

You have won 3 World Championships singles medals, 2 silver and 1 bronze. Do you feel you still have a chance to win a WTTC singles Gold Medal?
My dream is always to be Olympic Champion and World Champion. I won the Olympic Games, I believe now I can have a good chance to win the World Championships.

Who do you think is the best women's table tennis player of all time? Many would say Deng Yaping or Zhang Yining, what do you think?
Deng Yaping.

You spend most of your time training quite intensely in the Chinese National Squad, do you have much time to see your friends and family during the year too?
I really don't have much time to see my friends and family. Most of my time is spent with my coach and my teammates, only the Chinese New Year holiday time I get maybe 4 or 5 days to see my family and friends. Very sad, right?

Which country around the world has been your favourite to travel to in your table tennis career?
England, because I win my gold medal there ;)

What do you like to spend your free time doing?
When I'm free I like to go shopping or spend time talking to my family and friends. As long as I spent time with family it doesn't matter what we do. I just love my family that's all.

Some footage from the Semifinals of the Olympics featuring Li Xiaoxia​

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Outstanding interview. What an honor to communicate with a grand slam champion.
These players are so humble and have time for everyone. We are fortunate to be in a sport with very few ego's at the top.
Li Xiaoxia won her dream! If she's anything like Zhang Jike that won't stop her from pushing onward to do it again!
So we can look forward to more close encounters between the top Chinese, and hopefully more of these insightful interviews in future!
Thanks Matt :)

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Outstanding interview. What an honor to communicate with a grand slam champion.
These players are so humble and have time for everyone. We are fortunate to be in a sport with very few ego's at the top.
Li Xiaoxia won her dream! If she's anything like Zhang Jike that won't stop her from pushing onward to do it again!
So we can look forward to more close encounters between the top Chinese, and hopefully more of these insightful interviews in future!
Thanks Matt :)

I really hope so, It'll be a great challenge for me to break further into the CNT and get more interviews. We will see :D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Quality interview Matt! Breaking that gap into Asia! I cannot wait for the future when we have more interviews like these.

Love the answer she gives about not having much time, it's so true, to be the world's greatest you only have time for what you do. Thanks again mate

Reactions: Matt Hetherington
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
This is so great to read an interview of Li Xiaoxia!
I love seeing her playing and she is incontestably one of the best player in the history but for me she's so mysterious ! Thank you very much :D

She is quite quiet yes :) She is a lovely girl though, very strongly family and friends oriented but she works so hard!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
my favorite player is Li Xiaoxia, not totally because her playing skill is the best among women table tennis players. Also because she has modest and kind personalities, maybe not extroverted enough, but really kindhearted and honest. Guoyue has even said in a TV interview that she is a typical wife and mother, always takes care of her teammates. Correspondingly, this kind of personality somewhat affects her performances in big matches years before. I'm happy to see she has more aggressiveness to win and become a Grand Slam at last!

Last edited: