Zhang Jike switched to Tenergy 05-FX!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
So I already posted this on the Chinese team equipment thread, but couldn't stop wondering why Zhang Jike switched from his beloved Tenergy64 to Tenergy05-FX for his backhand side. Zhang Jike used this rubber during the 2013 WTTC!

My own opinion:

Zhang Jike plays close to the table mostly, going back for the FH to FH overspin. But mostly just dictating at the table.
For this he needs something thats good at blocking and flicks on the BH with the banana flick getting really popular. Throw shouldn't be to high either because his blocks would pop up.

Zhang Jike's New Rubber - Tenergy 05-FXZhang Jike's Forehand Rubber - Hurricane 3
zhangjiketo5fx.jpg
zhangjiketo5fx1.jpg

Why T05-FX?
Tenergy64 is fast and lower throw, Butterfly says its a rubber for further of the table because of its faster speed. However I think T05 is better for further away from the table, because of the arc you can generate with it. The speed would be generated from their phyisque in most cases anyway, except for the block since its a short stroke.
So even if T05-FX only different characteristic compared to the T05 would be the softer sponge (there are more), I still don't understand why he would have changed.

Pro's for T64:
Lower throw -> More precise blocking and giving opponent a lower ball.
Faster then T05 -> Zhang Jike likes to block it parralel and needs speed for this

Pro's for T05(-FX)
Less sensitive to spin
Easier to flick and with more spin

So for Zhang's game I would say T64 is a better option.

What is your idea? Please share & elaborate!

Regards Johan / Sun Tzu

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is quite obvious for me. Most of cases t05 regular is the best playing close to the table. In my opinion t64 is faster then then t05 and that is why most players use it in distance. While t05fx is much softer, that is why it is great for flicking, also softness helps you to give some extra time because ball sinks more in this rubber.
And the last thing, nobody knows what is the real rubber made for him, besides the market t05fx

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Watching Zhang Jike at this years WTTC his backhand flick looked like it had improved! He flicked every receive of service :D

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Yes he seems to have more confidence flipping the serves, although I believe The flicks he did with Tenergy64 were loaded with spin aswell and got him to attack the next ball aswell. He seemed to block less then before.

Is he changing his game to be more dominant in attack rather then outblocking them?

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
because of softer sponge of T05-fx your shots will have less power and more spin on flips . blocks with T05-fx will more pop up and it is harder .
T64 vs T05-fx : power and good blocking VS more spin on flips .
i will choose T64 for ZJK so i think he didn't change it , probably it is a T64 with a T05-fx logo!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
At this level of play service and service receive especially is pivotal . If T05 - FX is softer and gives you more control close to the table , you do the backhand flips with more confidence and spin . Backhand flip is the best way to use the wrist for an offensive receive to get the upperhand in the rally .
Once your opponent steps even slightly away from the table , because of the flip giving the other player an advantage you won't be able to recover easily especially against Zhang Jike who is one if not the best players of dominating when in control close to the table . So i think it's a good switch , even if only to throw the other players slightly off balance . You say blocking is harder ? No problem i am Zhang Jike the best blocker in the world !

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
rega4ka said:
At this level of play service and service receive especially is pivotal . If T05 - FX is softer and gives you more control close to the table , you do the backhand flips with more confidence and spin . Backhand flip is the best way to use the wrist for an offensive receive to get the upperhand in the rally .
Once your opponent steps even slightly away from the table , because of the flip giving the other player an advantage you won't be able to recover easily especially against Zhang Jike who is one if not the best players of dominating when in control close to the table . So i think it's a good switch , even if only to throw the other players slightly off balance . You say blocking is harder ? No problem i am Zhang Jike the best blocker in the world !
with T05-fx you have more spin on flips but less speed and power so your opponent will more reach the ball . you say fliping with T64 is harder ? no problem ZJK is the best fliper in the world ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think all this stuff is a personal choice. I know several pros who use 05FX on the backhand. I was told before the WTTC from a pretty reliable source that ZJK switched to 05FX on his backhand. It looks like it is working so why question it. It is a really good backhand rubber. And why on earth would he pretend to use 05FX and continue to use 64. He really does not care what other people think. Otherwise he might be using a blade with a Zhang Jike handle even if it was still a Viscaria.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: I have a friend who used to use T64 for backhand who tried T05FX for backhand but now plays with T25FX on backhand and says it is amazing for backhand. He gets more spin on his backhand banana than anyone I have played against. You can feel the ball jump off your racket from the spin when he bananas.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013

Why change if you are the best blocker in the world though? Especially changing to a rubber that might make you worse in that aspect?
I don't really think he needed to slow down his game by switching to T05-FX, he really didn't need the extra time either. So why 05-FX which gives less spin than T64 or T05? Im especially wondering about why FX, in his gamestyle and his skill I really can't think of a reason to slow anything down.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why change if you are the best blocker in the world though? Especially changing to a rubber that might make you worse in that aspect?
I don't really think he needed to slow down his game by switching to T05-FX, he really didn't need the extra time either. So why 05-FX which gives less spin than T64 or T05? Im especially wondering about why FX, in his gamestyle and his skill I really can't think of a reason to slow anything down.

And yet, it might work better for him. And, for those bananas, he might be getting more spin. Again, often, equipment is a personal preference. And I know A LOT OF PROS in NYC who are using 05FX on their backhand. They might not be at the level of Zhang Jike, but it is a really good backhand rubber.

If it was that he was using Blue Fire and he was supposed to be using Tenergy because of his sponsorship, so he was hiding what he was using, then that is different. Like the way Wang Liqin, for years, used a Stiga Clipper, but was sponsored by DHS, so he had a DHS handle put onto a Stiga Clipper instead of using the imitation Clipper that DHS made for him. But, otherwise, why would Zhang Jike use a T64 and pretend he was using an 05FX? I am sure Butterfly does not care what rubber he is using as long as it is a Butterfly product. Otherwise, they would not let him get away with using a Viscaria when they have a blade with his name on it and will soon have several more blades with his name on it. If they really cared about stuff like that they would want him to have a blade that at least looked like it was one of his name blades.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Yes I understand this is a good rubber, players at my club use it aswell. But on the level of Zhang Jike, the best player in the world right now, im sure he can get tons of spin on his flicks, but since he is the best he can use the full potential of any rubbers he gets, Butterfly themselves advertise that the 05-FX version is less spinny,slower and offers more control. So personal preference or not, in the end he would probably be better with T64 or T05 because they are spinnier and more linear in performance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Can we still find this Viscaria? Because on the Butterfly's website, it's juste possible to have the viscaria light. Is it the same? Thanks