Ma Long - Hurricane Long 3 Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi guys. I will shortly return with a review on this blade about how it plays. Before I can do this I am preparing some rubbers to out on the blade. Here is some pictures you guys can enjoy :) My initial thoughts about the blade is that the finish is quite smooth and the quality is top class. The sample I received of Hurricane Long 3 weighs 86g which is 4-5g less than the commercial DHS 506. The thickness is 6.48mm which is a composition of limba/ayous/red dye ayous/ayous/red dye ayous/ayous/limba. I am curious about how much difference in the playing characteristics there is going to be due to the weight difference. It is not indicated anywhere on the blade or box that the HL3 has the same High Pressure Ballonet technology that the DHS 506 has, but looking at both blades they seem similar.

P1050118.JPG
P1050121.JPG
P1050122.JPG
P1050119.JPG
P1050120.JPG
I have decided to put a couple of layers of coating on both sides of the blade to prevent the top limba layer to splinter when removing the rubbers.
P1050127.JPG

Then I glued some rubbers on the blade Hurricane National Blue Sponge 2.15mm 40deg in FH Tenergy 64 in BH. Here is the final result.

P1050128.JPG
P1050129.JPG

P1050130.JPG

Review:
This are my thoughts after playing 3 sessions with my new racket :) Total weight with rubbers 180g spot on!

Drive
When driving with the Hurricane Long 3 the blade felt very solid, but still with a little amount of vibration. The feel is very good even with hard rubbers and I had the impression that I was in control of the ball all the time

Loop
With the Limba as top ply of the blade it was easy topspin from both wings, because of the dwell time, giving the ball a low trajectory. The power of the blade was surprisingly high and I did not expect that at all. Very controllable even when you are trying to hit hard.

Push
Easy peacy and you force a deadly deep push against you opponent with out doing a large movement forward.

Service/Return
With the combination of the rubbers and blade service/return is easy to perform.
With the hurricane in FH spinny serves with out the ball bouncing to much of the blade.

More to come....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
i live in isle of man ,only got 100 people play table tennis,dont think i will selling or have a shop like table tennis kingdom in here.every year i go to hong kong play table tennis,before i come back to uk i go to his shop to buy all the table tennis staff i need.some time i email him to get some nation blue sponge rubber for me,a lot of rubbers he dont even put it to his shop website ,like the hurricane 3 neo blue sponge only sell to his friend.i am only a chef ,wish i own his shop !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Ill buy it from you, right now :D

Where did you get it? How much does it weigh?

A friend helped me buy it in china. It is 86g :)

try put skyline 3 blue sponge or hurricane 3 blue on forehand ,need a bit of time to get used to,than try top spin rally in mid long table than you know what i mean.nice
I already play with H3 National BS. just have to put another one on :)

Great blades. Do 506 and HL3 have the same or different dimension in blade face, handle and ply thickness ?

Thanks buddy! I have to return to you about the dimensions but my first impressions is that the composition of the layers are the same.

Giangt , can you compare this blade with DHS 506 ? are they the same only wuth different handles ?

As I told TurboZ I will get back to you guys when is find a measuring calibre.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Wow awesome review and photos buddy! What blade do you find it similar to? I am really interested in how this National Hurricane 3 performs :)

Thanks Dan! If I had to compare it to another blade/brand it would come close to a Stiga Clipper, but still its not close to. The Clipper is more solid than HL3 and a tad faster as well. I the HL3 more balanced as well, even with heavy rubbers one both sides. I think HL3/DHS 506/PG 7/ TG7-AL are in their own league somehow. Perhaps it is the ballonet technology they use in their blades.

The Hurricane 3 National rubber are really good if you have the technique in place. They are not forgiven if you aren't in balance. In terms of spin and speed I can not come up with other rubbers that are similar.

Last edited: