Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
February 2nd, 2011 ITTF Ranking

Timo Boll stays at number 1 postion whilst LI Xiaoxia takes top spot for the womens overtaking previous world number 1 GUO Yan. There are a lot of changes on the new Mens World Rankings. Wang Liqin at 9 his lowest ranking in years..!! Timo Boll has kept top spot, whilst Ma Long has dropped into 4th place, whilst Wang Hao and Ma Lin have both moved up 2 places.

LI Xiaoxia is the new world number 1 for the womens world rankings overtaking previous number 1 Guo Yan

What do you think of the ITTF rankings, such as this period of the year. Do you agree with them? Should there be an alternative system. Is your favourite in top spot? Comment below.

Mens

1072033047-timo-boll.9.jpg

Photo by: http://timobolltt.com

1 (<<) 2706 BOLL Timo

2 (3) 2692 WANG Hao

3 (5) 2644 MA Lin

4 (2) 2643 MA Long

5 (6) 2577 SAMSONOV, Vladimir

6 (4) 2557 ZHANG Jike

7 (<<) 2553 MIZUTANI Jun

8 (10) 2532 XU Xin

9 (8) 2509 WANG Liqin

10 (9) 2488 JOO Se Hyuk

Women

Li_Xiaoxia.jpg

Photo by: http://www.tabletennis.gr

1 (3) 2728 LI Xiaoxia

2 (1) 2721 GUO Yan

3 (2) 2714 FENG Tianwei

4 (<<) 2686 GUO Yue

5 (7) 2653 DING Ning

6 (<<) 2630 LIU Shiwen

7 (5) 2605 KIM Kyung Ah

8 (11) 2580 ISHIKAWA Kasumi

9 (<<) 2546 WANG Yuegu

10 (8) 2539 FUKUHARA Ai

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hey Dan,
I notice Ma Lin has moved up 2 spots after HE BEAT YOU. So you must be good! :p
Happy Chinese New Year! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Man, I really hope that Ma Long recovers fully and is able to play at his top level sometime in the future.

The problem for China now is that all the players that who wins against who is basically just a random round robin, therefore none of them are really able to make a lot of headway. Boll beats a Chinese player every now and again, but normally he loses, so that costs him the amount of points it would take to lose against a Chinese player. But since now all the Chinese players win and lose against each other, when you average out the results of each tournament, each Chinese player also ends up losing to one Chinese player, so its hard to make any gain against Boll.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Dan,
I notice Ma Lin has moved up 2 spots after HE BEAT YOU. So you must be good! :p
Happy Chinese New Year! :)

Hehe :) Thanks you to Shalin

@scylla24 Yeah, your right, I think Boll prepares more and decides which tournaments to play...

The thing is... im not to sure if your correct... because lets just forget Timo Boll is German for a second and lets say hes chinese... surely the ranking works out the same?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hehe :) Thanks you to Shalin

@scylla24 Yeah, your right, I think Boll prepares more and decides which tournaments to play...

The thing is... im not to sure if your correct... because lets just forget Timo Boll is German for a second and lets say hes chinese... surely the ranking works out the same?

I am not saying Boll isn't a great player, but just analyzing it from a mathematical standpoint. In every tournament, even if Boll loses to the first Chinese player he meets in the tournament, at the most, he can only suffer one loss from one Chinese player. But now that there is so much parity among the Chinese players, in that they all on any given day will beat each other, and none of them stand out above the rest, it means that in each tournament, they are generally exchanging who wins. Therefore in one tournament, Xu Xin may win, the next, Wang Hao will win, the next Ma Lin. So for the tournaments that they don't win, they end up suffering the same decrease in points as Boll, since they both lost to a high ranking Chinese player. The result is that its a lot harder for any Chinese player to pull away from the pack, and distance themselves in terms of points from Boll. Even despite the fact that they generally win against Boll in a head to head

Where as if you compare like 6-7 years ago, Wang Liqin and Ma Lin made it to the finals of like every tournament, with Wang Liqin winning, when thats the case, then the two of them can really begin to outpace the other players in terms of rating points.