My service return can't make it....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I seem not able to return opponent's service well and this makes them easily attack me on the 3rd ball, and this make it worse as i'm a near table attacking player. Is there anyway i can i improve on my returns?? (Most of my return end up very very high, with very little go into the net).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Reading spin is generally a skill that gets better as you move up in level. There are clues from the bat and impact, and there are clues form the position of 1st/2nd bounce, as well as speed of ball and flight path. You will learn to sort these things out as you get better.

It really is that simple. I include a link where a coach discusses the basics briefly.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/79

Here is a link where coach Greg talks about spin in general.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/spin/ht/readspin.htm

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I make success a LOT on serve and attack and I can tell you, at my level of Div 2 city and higher, the serve and attack game, and maybe more important, the receive game dictates the outcome of a lot of matches.

When I serve, I am trying to confuse the opponent about the type and amount of spin, as well as the placement by being sudden, deceptive, and do all serves with the same motion. I get a LOT, I mean a LOT of my points from serve errors from my opponents who are 1-2 levels below me. The div 5 players simply do not return any of my serves unless I allow them and am trying to practice a certain attack. When I play equal opponent who never saw me before, I have a huge advantage. When I play a div 1 or div 0 player (yeas, you can be div 0 or even div MINUS 1 if you are too strong for div 1 !!!)... when I play these players who are clearly 1-4 levels better than me, I do not get so many points outright from the serve, ONLY 1 or 2. That is it. nothing more. Serve is not such an advantage there. Against these players, the best I can do is to try to control their options and have the courage to attack what they give me. if I did my job well, I can pressure the better player. However, the opponent in these cases are 1-4 levels better than me for very good reasons. Being better at serve receive is usually one of the many reasons.

That is how TT and differences in level work.

Another thing I can say to help is to learn how to be a player with great serves yourself. try to practice as often as you can and look for inspiration in variety.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It sounds like they are giving you topspin if you seem to be popping them up.

One thing to keep in mind in service return is the behavior of the ball as it crosses to your side of the table.

My best serve at most levels, especially vs the higher level opponents is a NO-SPIN serve. I have a very heavy underspin serve, whether it is short of long, most opponents put it into the net at first. After I establish this heavy spin, I serve a light underspin, essentially a NO-SPIN serve. The opponent reads this as underspin, tries to push it to a difficult location, yet often hits this ball out. If not out, then higher and longer than opponent intended. I get free points or at least chances at easy finishes from this serve.

My point is that the serve does not have to be a topspin serve for an opponent to keep hitting it long.

On the other hand, I have a sneaky short or half-long topspin serve that opponents will sign a sworn statement saying it was an underspin serve. these players try to give back an underspin and push it out, or VERY high for an easy smash chance. Even players at my level fall for this serve anywhere from 1-6 times in a match.

The last point is that it is very important to have the same motion for the serves and serve a different spin, pace, break, depth, and location as you plan. doing that is one of the measures of a good server to give him points or chances to attack at the very least the opportunity to control the point.

These are some of the things that separate players and levels. The div 1 city and above crowd "gets it" really well. I get it, but not nearly as well as them... yet.