Xu Xin Olympics

Hey guys, I was wondering on what you would think on Xu Xin going to the Olympics in 2016 Rio. He is the current number 1 player, but I know Ma Long was around that time too, before he was bumped down and then the Chinese team decided not to use him in the singles and they kept him in the Team only. So do you think that Xu Xin will be able to make it to 2016 Rio? Do you think he can make it to Gold?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
The chinese didnt choose the players that went to the olympics....

wang hao and zhang jike were on place 1 and 2 on the final date when the ioc decided that the players are choosen by rankings

I don't believe that this is true. Yes, Wang and Zhang were the two highest ranked players and so they were initially nominated for the two singles spots. But the Chinese federation COULD have chosen to replace anyone of them (or even both) with other players in stead. That would mean, however, that the replaced player could not be "re-nominated" for the third spot (team event only).

So Ma Long COULD have played the singles event at the Olympics, but only at the expense of ejecting Wang or Zhang from the Olympic line up.

How do I know this? Because this actually happened - for the women!

Here, Li Xiaoxia and Guo Yan - like Wang and Zhang - was initially nominated due to the world rankings. The Chinese then nominated Guo Yue for the third spot, which looked a little weird at the time, since that meant that the defending World/World Cup champion Ding Ning wouldn't be playing at the Olympics. However, later on the Chinese federation decided to replace Guo Yan with Ding Ning, so that Li and Ding would play the singles and Guo Yue joining them for the team event.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Xu Xin's case for the Olympics probably came a little too late, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao had already asserted themselves as the best two candidates, I think Wang Hao was probably considered more steady on the big stage than Ma Long which a point which has really been proven even long after the Olympics. Xu Xin hadn't really cemented his place so much.

I think speculating on whether he could get to Rio is difficult, there is a lot of new young talent in the squad and Olympics are another 3 years away I think anything could happen.

Xu Xin's case for the Olympics probably came a little too late, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao had already asserted themselves as the best two candidates, I think Wang Hao was probably considered more steady on the big stage than Ma Long which a point which has really been proven even long after the Olympics. Xu Xin hadn't really cemented his place so much.

I think speculating on whether he could get to Rio is difficult, there is a lot of new young talent in the squad and Olympics are another 3 years away I think anything could happen.
That is true, but Wang Hao has been to the Olympics 3 times now and won Silver in all of them, and since China wants gold I feel like they'll be replacing him, but that they will keep Zhang because he won gold, because of this I think Wang Hao's spot will be replaced with either Ma Long or Xu Xin. But I think the Chinese team in 2016 will be made of Zhang, Xu, and Ma.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
That is true, but Wang Hao has been to the Olympics 3 times now and won Silver in all of them, and since China wants gold I feel like they'll be replacing him, but that they will keep Zhang because he won gold, because of this I think Wang Hao's spot will be replaced with either Ma Long or Xu Xin. But I think the Chinese team in 2016 will be made of Zhang, Xu, and Ma.

OH of course, I was just speaking about last Olympics, I can't see Wang Hao having the chance to go again.

The chinese didnt choose the players that went to the olympics....

wang hao and zhang jike were on place 1 and 2 on the final date when the ioc decided that the players are choosen by rankings
Even if that was how they picked out their table tennis players at the time between June-December 2012 Ma maintained a number 2 position when Wang Hao was only number 4 (Xu Xin was number 3) So even in 2012 it would have been more reasonable to have Xu Xin in the Olympics than Wang Hao, but I remembered I read somewhere that he wasn't picked for Singles because he fell from the number 1 spot, which was filled by Zhang Jike

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Even if that was how they picked out their table tennis players at the time between June-December 2012 Ma maintained a number 2 position when Wang Hao was only number 4 (Xu Xin was number 3) So even in 2012 it would have been more reasonable to have Xu Xin in the Olympics than Wang Hao, but I remembered I read somewhere that he wasn't picked for Singles because he fell from the number 1 spot, which was filled by Zhang Jike

The pick for 2012 Olympics was set from 2011 ranking not 2012. It is true that CNT can change the entry list as they see fit but why change if they believe WH and ZJK can win for the country. And the fact did prove their decision is correct. Who win Gold or Silver means little to them as long as they are Chinese. ML's great performance came in too late. Also I don't think LGL has enough faith in ML yet. Only if either WH or ZJK has some major set back during the period will any change occur. It will be unfair to WH if he was changed out because he did not maintain his position prior to Olympics as that is not in the requirement.

The case is also true to the women side. They believe Ding Ning has a better chance to win a medal for China than Guo Yan hence the change. You can choose to believe if GY is really injured. But then the outcome prove their decision is correct again. If ML can give enough confidence to LGL I think he will get his chance too. Now CNT simply sent WH and ZJK according to the system, not some personal preference and I respect that. So if people have to blame then blame ittf for restricting ML to go, not CNT.

The next Olympics should be a contest between the big 3, XX, ZJK and ML. I don't think WH will go after his marriage. We will have to wait til 2015 to know but I do hope XX can get his place in single. He still has room to improve.

The pick for 2012 Olympics was set from 2011 ranking not 2012. It is true that CNT can change the entry list as they see fit but why change if they believe WH and ZJK can win for the country. And the fact did prove their decision is correct. Who win Gold or Silver means little to them as long as they are Chinese. ML's great performance came in too late. Also I don't think LGL has enough faith in ML yet. Only if either WH or ZJK has some major set back during the period will any change occur. It will be unfair to WH if he was changed out because he did not maintain his position prior to Olympics as that is not in the requirement.

The case is also true to the women side. They believe Ding Ning has a better chance to win a medal for China than Guo Yan hence the change. You can choose to believe if GY is really injured. But then the outcome prove their decision is correct again. If ML can give enough confidence to LGL I think he will get his chance too. Now CNT simply sent WH and ZJK according to the system, not some personal preference and I respect that. So if people have to blame then blame ittf for restricting ML to go, not CNT.

The next Olympics should be a contest between the big 3, XX, ZJK and ML. I don't think WH will go after his marriage. We will have to wait til 2015 to know but I do hope XX can get his place in single. He still has room to improve.
Well I feel that after his great performance in 2012 Zhang Jike will be returning, and Wang hao will be gone. So that leaves one spot for Xu Xin or Ma Long, although I'm not sure why because in 2004 and 2008 China entered 3 players in singles, so i'm guessing the olympic committee must've put some regulation on them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Well I feel that after his great performance in 2012 Zhang Jike will be returning, and Wang hao will be gone. So that leaves one spot for Xu Xin or Ma Long, although I'm not sure why because in 2004 and 2008 China entered 3 players in singles, so i'm guessing the olympic committee must've put some regulation on them

It is true that they changed the rule after seeing China won Gold, Silver and Bronze in Beijing Olympics. They decided the Bronze should go to some one else.

That makes sense but it also brings up the point as to who China's biggest threat is in the Olympics. Behind China the next top medal winners at the olympics are south korea, sweden, and germany (in that order). So since they pose the greatest threat to China's gold and silver who are they focused on beating the most?

I would say by 2016 Japan and South Korea will likely be their biggest adversaries based on current trends.
True, true. Japan and South Korea both impose a threat to China. But I feel South Korea will be a larger threat considering Jun Mizutani's rough spot latley, and Koki Niwa's inexperience.

Last edited:
Well Koki Niwa has 3 more years of experience to soak up, and Matsudaira has come back out of nowhere again to put himself back in the spotlight.
By the time Rio comes around Koki will be 21 years old, that will be 3 years more of experience, but still, even though he started playing professionaly at a young age. Some of the Chinese players, like Ma Long/Xu Xin have been playing since a childhood age, so add the earlier beginnings and older age and they have more experience than Koki. Matsudaira lost to Zhang J.K. in the 2013 Austria Open, he also lost to Xu Xin in the 2013 Paris QuarterFinals, and he also lost to Ma Long in the 2010 Asian Games, although that was 3 years ago.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
According to the current trend, I think the chance is slim. Only two are allowed to play in the singles and ZJK already took over one place, the next quota is most probably in Ma Long's pocket unless there's a huge up and down in 2015's WTTC. Even Yan An will be competitive and don't forget Wanghao, we can't exclude the possibility that LGL want to give him another chance, letting him fulfill his dream. Anyway, it is still early to talk about this. 2015 is a crucial year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
well I think we can make sure he will play singles at Rio Olympics. People want him to win a second grand slam, and he is the team leader now (Xiaoxia is the leader of women's team, but zjk's advantage is even greater than her). Though not my favorite player, I must admit such a position will not be overturned easily.
ZJK already qualified to Rio Olympics ? i think only 2 top ranked player of each country after 2015 WTTC will qualify to Rio Olympics .

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
By the time Rio comes around Koki will be 21 years old, that will be 3 years more of experience, but still, even though he started playing professionaly at a young age. Some of the Chinese players, like Ma Long/Xu Xin have been playing since a childhood age, so add the earlier beginnings and older age and they have more experience than Koki. Matsudaira lost to Zhang J.K. in the 2013 Austria Open, he also lost to Xu Xin in the 2013 Paris QuarterFinals, and he also lost to Ma Long in the 2010 Asian Games, although that was 3 years ago.

Matsudaira lost 4-3 to ZJK in Austria and lost 4-2 to Xu Xin in Paris, if that trend continues then he may pose more of a threat come 2016 or even the next world championships. I'm not saying Koki Niwa and Kenta are going to beat these players, i'm saying they are a realistic threat and it is a possibility, however narrow the probabilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I dont know much about the rules on how to choose players to entry Olympic singles for the national team. To our fans, World ranking is nothing. In the year of 2007, Guo Yue and Li Xiaoxia beat Wang Nan and Zhang Yining at WTTC, whereas the latter two still got the ticket of 2008's Olympic. I think the situation is the same for zjk.