How do you prepare for big matches?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
How do you guys prepare for really important matches, ie, finals, deciders for team events etc? How do you get yourself to peak at the right time and play at your best form?

I'll start, I actually don't play or train that much before important matches, I find that playing too much and overexerting yourself actually brings down your form when you are actually playing the real game, by just training lightly before finals normally gets me to peak during the final haha

How about you guys?

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
i dont realy prepare for any games so i lose alot i need a set plan before matches proberly to improove my game

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
How do you guys prepare for really important matches, ie, finals, deciders for team events etc? How do you get yourself to peak at the right time and play at your best form?

I'll start, I actually don't play or train that much before important matches, I find that playing too much and overexerting yourself actually brings down your form when you are actually playing the real game, by just training lightly before finals normally gets me to peak during the final haha

How about you guys?

I agree with what you say,,, train hard a week before the match/ tournament but then a few days before, do light traning and mentally prepare...

I found what helped me over the years was to have a diary. Record all your training sessions and matches... record who you played against.. what you did well,, what you did bad... what tactics did and didn't work... This helps when you play against that opponent again or of similar style again so you can see what to do again :)

In doing a diary by recording your training sessions allows you to see what you did on the build up to a tournament that you played well in.. You can use this for the future so you now how to peak... Vice versa you can use this as an indication to show why you performed poorly...

Reflective practitioning :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I jogg to get fitter and concentrate the training on my weaknesses(play several exersises).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
If you ever get to play an opponent to whom you have lost to, you really need to dig deep and find out where you lost points on and fix it (ie; FH or BH was weak, being overconfident, unable to return serves or to counter spins, probem w/speed, and so on). Mental and strategy seem to be the best remedies. As for big game(s), if you can avoid being too anxious and have a good rest (not overworking yourself) and most importantly BELIEVE and EXPECT to win! You will perform as well (or as poorly) as you allow your mind to believe. Many matches have been decided before the event by the players' expectation of themselves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
During normal training i'm train for grow up power, on legs and arm and less body.
This exercises every day.
Before 2 hours on table, I'm running for 30 minutes then 15 minutes jump rope, other 15 minutes weight and speedy exercises for arm and legs.
This only if there is not championship in weekend.
If there is championship or other match, exercises return to 10 minutes running, 5 minutes jump rope 10 minuter arm and legs every day.
During week where there is match i'm only training to keep fit.
During week where there is not match i'm training for develope muscoles, strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
If you ever get to play an opponent to whom you have lost to, you really need to dig deep and find out where you lost points on and fix it (ie; FH or BH was weak, being overconfident, unable to return serves or to counter spins, probem w/speed, and so on). Mental and strategy seem to be the best remedies. As for big game(s), if you can avoid being too anxious and have a good rest (not overworking yourself) and most importantly BELIEVE and EXPECT to win! You will perform as well (or as poorly) as you allow your mind to believe. Many matches have been decided before the event by the players' expectation of themselves.

Yeah very true, I find that when I play against players better than me I play all out and go for all my shots because if I don't then most likely I won't beat them!

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
thinking about it i all ways have to stretch regardless match or training otherwise i feel like my strokes arnt complete and i could do a little more

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
One other thing, you want to look for a mismatch (your strength vs the other person's weakness). For example, if the other person has killer top spins, I take them away by playing short & middle range (which I am very comfortable doing). If the other person is really strong on FH (most do), I would distribute the ball 80/20 more toward the BH. You have to observe and find out what works and what doesn't against each opponent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
This goes for most big events, but I like to get a good nights rest. Eat a great healthy breakfast. Arrive early to get familiar with my surroundings. Listen to pump up music. Warmup. OWN.