says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Just stumbled into this incredible demonstration of Werner Schlager showing youth players at the ITTF Hopes Week the secret to disguising the backspin and topspin serve! I learned a huge amounts from this video, I hope you can to! :)

Werner is a very funny man!

I dont know how many times I've said this but Schlager has always been and will always been my favourite player. His serves are stunning as well as cunning and his tactics are lethal.
Its great to see that he has devoted his post-tt career to those who share his passion.

Okay about his service- As you can probably hear him saying, using the same service motion but imparting different types and amounts of spin. I reckon this was one of Schlager's specialties- in many youtube videos I have seen him fool countless opponents such as Wang Hao and Kreanga with the same service but imparting backspin, sidespin and topspin!
Check out the 2003 WTTC where he played against Wang Liqin and Kong Linghui.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I dont know how many times I've said this but Schlager has always been and will always been my favourite player. His serves are stunning as well as cunning and his tactics are lethal.
Its great to see that he has devoted his post-tt career to those who share his passion.

Okay about his service- As you can probably hear him saying, using the same service motion but imparting different types and amounts of spin. I reckon this was one of Schlager's specialties- in many youtube videos I have seen him fool countless opponents such as Wang Hao and Kreanga with the same service but imparting backspin, sidespin and topspin!
Check out the 2003 WTTC where he played against Wang Liqin and Kong Linghui.

Agree also, Schlager has been my favourite player for a loooong time, which was why I was in dreamland when I had the chance to go to the academy as a coach during Hopes Week when this video was filmed. He is incredibly humble, he spoke to me as an equal and in a very friendly manner and it was so nice to finally meet him after having interviewed him for my blog earlier this year. I can't agree with you more, it's not just his TT that makes him a great player it's his dedication to developing the sport, his academy and of course the sacrifice he made to give the time to his academy and his family. He is a great player and a great man and I hope I can return to Austria again in the near future and meet with him again :D

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Agree also, Schlager has been my favourite player for a loooong time, which was why I was in dreamland when I had the chance to go to the academy as a coach during Hopes Week when this video was filmed. He is incredibly humble, he spoke to me as an equal and in a very friendly manner and it was so nice to finally meet him after having interviewed him for my blog earlier this year. I can't agree with you more, it's not just his TT that makes him a great player it's his dedication to developing the sport, his academy and of course the sacrifice he made to give the time to his academy and his family. He is a great player and a great man and I hope I can return to Austria again in the near future and meet with him again :D

Great post Matt! It would be great if you can make a thread sharing your experience what you learnt as a coach at the WSA. I am sure you picked up many little things here and there that would really help us all.

P.s. I will never forgot Schlager winning the Worlds in 2003, I was at a cadet/junior tournament and my dad found out the news. Pure epic!

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Great post Matt! It would be great if you can make a thread sharing your experience what you learnt as a coach at the WSA. I am sure you picked up many little things here and there that would really help us all.

P.s. I will never forgot Schlager winning the Worlds in 2003, I was at a cadet/junior tournament and my dad found out the news. Pure epic!

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Yea sure I'll make sure I do that. I'm actually off to New Jersey, USA in a month's time for the next World Hopes Team training event. Might be playing the Dirty Dozen at SPiN New York if I have the time, I have my fingers crossed! :D

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yea sure I'll make sure I do that. I'm actually off to New Jersey, USA in a month's time for the next World Hopes Team training event. Might be playing the Dirty Dozen at SPiN New York if I have the time, I have my fingers crossed! :D

Sweet Matt, I look forward to your review! And wow awesome your sure getting to go to a fair amount of places thanks to table tennis :) Remember to take your camera! :) Enjoy!