PDA

View Full Version : Ask Jan Ove Waldner

ttestonia
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
http://pingpang.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jan-Ove-Waldner.jpg

If you could ask Jan Ove Waldner one question, what would it be?

Dan
07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
I am very interested in the structure of Jan Ove Waldner's training when he was a young boy. What type of practice did he do and did he believe when he was young that he could become the worlds best player of all time?

I want to know if he thinks he is talented or did he put in ridiculous hours of training as a youngster.

T!Christian
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Honestly?

"can you make a video with us?" :D

ttestonia
07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Nice questions guys, keep it coming!!

Xyth
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Were you good in school and how did you find it?
How do I become a world champion?

Mikael Berglund
07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Dan, J-O answered that question in an interview earlier, you can check it out here, http://www.pingisfan.se/2010/04/interview-with-waldner-english-version/
He said he played 6-7 hours every day with members of the national team since he was 14. In the documentary "Bragden" they talk about the revelation they got when they came to China for the first time. They changed their way of practice after that.

decoy
07-01-2013, 11:51 PM
he should tell us his stories after matches that include some crazy . with a good old drink and some shenanigans

DKPOWA
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I would like to know his opinion on today´s modern table tennis, compared to the pre-VOC ban age, since in my opinion, the game used to be more tactical and one had to be one step ahead of the rival, where you didnt look for long rallys but to outwit your opponent, where as now, I think the only strategy is to serve safe and kind of tricky, go for the third ball, and end the point asap.

strideforward
07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Good point. I agree with that. Today's players tend to be similar to each other, especially for men, that's one of the reasons I pay more attentions on women's players.
I would like to know his opinion on today´s modern table tennis, compared to the pre-VOC ban age, since in my opinion, the game used to be more tactical and one had to be one step ahead of the rival, where you didnt look for long rallys but to outwit your opponent, where as now, I think the only strategy is to serve safe and kind of tricky, go for the third ball, and end the point asap.